Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Selection of Getaway Car Produces "Medium Speed Chase"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 06:11 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Selection of Getaway Car Produces "Medium Speed Chase"

If you want to appear on the national media as a big time criminal, maybe your choice of getaway car shouldn't be so . . . SMART.

David Wheaton, world class drunk, picked up his third DWI charge Wednesday, but the sight of a full-boat Highway Patrol cruiser in pursuit of the tiny SMART vehicle made the crime almost comical. The cops just followed Wheaton home and cuffed and stuffed him when he pulled into his driveway. You gotta wonder just how drunk you have to be to think you're going to outrun the cops in your SMART . . . ?

Wheaton is due some kind of medal in the 2012 Nerd Olympics underachiever marathon; maybe a plastic medallion with tea leaf clusters.

Published on Aug 1, 2012 by news4days

HOUSTON -- A suspect in a Smart Car made a dumb move when he led a DPS trooper on a high-speed chase that ended in his own driveway. Police say the trooper tried to stop David Wheaton on I-10 near Kirkwood shortly before noon, but he kept going. The driver sped to the North Loop and continued northbound before taking the Ella exit.

From Air 11, the tiny car looked more like a lost toy playing a cat and mouse game with the trooper's squad car. Traffic on Ella forced the Smart Car to slow down and the chase ended in a residential area a few minutes later. It turned out to be Wheaton's own neighborhood on Kinlay Lane. He was arrested in his driveway as surprised neighbors watched.

"There never seemed to be anything wrong with the guy," neighbor Tony Lopez said. "Moved in and everything was fine. Was a nice guy, stayed on his side of the yard and we got along good."

According to Kevin Bradley, Wheaton is really quiet, lives alone and works from home on computers. Lopez described Wheaton as friendly and said he often chatted with neighbors when he walked his dog. "You know, he had a dog that he'd come out in the yard and he'd play with the dog. There never seemed to be anything wrong with the guy," Lopez said.

The neighbors also agreed that Wheaton is pretty big for a tiny Smart Car. "250 pounds," Bradley said. "I'd say about six foot."

Wheaton faces his third DWI charge and other charges related to the chase.

Last edited by Lil4X; 08-03-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-03-12, 06:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Oh jeez. Comical indeed
Old 08-03-12, 08:08 PM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about this, the day of the chase. I had to laugh. If I was the cop, I'd be on the horn being "numbskull you are in a Smart ForTwo, do you think you will outrun me?" and start laughing.

This came to mind though...

Old 08-03-12, 09:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, this is really funny.