Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lamborghini Aventador to get stop/start, cylinder deactivation technology

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 02:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I know.........but these eco terrorists have an agenda and they seem to be spreading their influence upon governments (like the EU government)

Yup the guys over at the Brussels seem hell bent on their goal to wipe-out the internal combustion engine off the face of the earth. (and they won't stop with already stringent Euro 6 emission standards)
Euro 6 just levels the field with EPA in the US... plus gives us better warranty, so good for us.
Old 08-06-12, 07:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Although cylinder-deactivation may have some merit at cruise-speeds, I'm not a fan of the whole start/stop system at idle. Even using a capacitor or battery for electrical-storage, it usually requires a starter-motor as well. And, if it is a separate traditional starter-motor instead of, say, an electric motor back-up like on the Honda IMA hybrid-system (the IMA electric motor starts the gas engine), the starter-motor is going to get a lot of wear, heat, and stress from continually starting the motor in heavy traffic. Not only does the starter have to turn over the engine, but also the added stress of, at the same time, starting to move the whole vehicle forward from rest, unlike a conventional starter.
Old 08-07-12, 08:57 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
Euro 6 just levels the field with EPA in the US... plus gives us better warranty, so good for us.
I know.

But on one end, they can't just keep doing this on-and-on. I bet that after Euro 6 is implemented in year 2014, the politicians in Brussels are already planning on Euro 7 and tightening of future emission regulations thereafter.

In fact, Mercedes Benz already mentioned that the pressure for engineering and R&D brought about by these immensely tightening regulations is just too much.............

Heck, it almost put their V12 engine development program at risk (and could've led to the death of the 6.5 liter V12 Twin Turbo engine of the AMG division)

Point is: I don't mind regulation or government or bureaucratic intervention........but please, some of their requests upon auto manufacturers seem a bit too extreme and unreasonable at times.