Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

July 2012 Auto Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 10:01 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Phil2005
I currently have a 335i and a G37, so I'm not an Acura "fanboy", nor do I hate Lexus...I'm just tired about reading the same doom and gloom stuff every week on here about Acura. The way I see it is that every brand has something unique to offer or does something well, and that there isn't a need to hate on them so much as Acura/Honda does on here, hence why I feel a need to defend them. And lease rates mean nothing, the BMW dealership here in Phoenix had 2011 328i sedans for $280-$300 so does that mean BMW isn't luxury?

Also, as long as the Germans can lease their cars for such low prices, Japanese cars won't be able to outsell them.
I don't care if you have a Yugo and a Pagani its ridiculous to act like this is the only place on the internet saying these things. EVERY forum is saying it from Wrestling to Gardening to even Honda forums, stating the obvious, the brand is struggling and going nowhere and the direction is still lost. This has been reitereated for years now by every auto publication and blog as well news sites.

I think you should take your displeasure and maybe write Acura a letter.

Old 08-01-12, 10:10 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Disclaimer- This is for INFORMATIONAL purposes only. Cars/brands can blend lines which makes it a matter of choice on where to place. Also these vehicles have different sales goals and objectives many times so please be aware of them. Thanks.

Entry Level Class
G- 7,365
3series- 7,653
A4/A5- 5,181
Maxima-5,118
CTS-4,743
LaCrosse-4,001
ES- 3,759
MKZ-3,033
TL- 2,358
IS- 2,296
CC- 2,198
TSX- 1,980
Regal-1,784
CT- 1,499
A3-651
1series- 379
Lucerne-11
That Entry level class is quite close for 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th. Surprised the maxima still does so well 4 years into its life.

Originally Posted by GS69

Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) today reported July 2012 sales of 4,194 units, down 47.4 percent compared to July 2011.

"Currently our sales are impacted by our models whose production was completed last summer," said MMNA President & CEO Yoichi Yokozawa. "This condition will continue for the remainder of the summer."

Outlander Sport continues to be Mitsubishi's top seller in the U.S., and production of the 2013 Outlander Sport began in Normal, Illinois in July. The vehicle will begin to become available at Mitsubishi dealerships in the U.S. by the end of this month.
When you think about it, wtf does Mitsubishi even have anymore? Lancer and Outlander?
Old 08-01-12, 10:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,365 Posts

We both spoke Lexus NEEDS Acura and Infiniti to succeed.
why would lexus need acura and infiniti to succeed? i'd expect lexus doesn't care much about them given their low sales, and wouldn't be bothered at all if they went away.

You come here with 9 posts in a thread I help post info in every month to defend Acura? How about why do you love them so much? When I compile the data.
mike i think that was unnecessarily rude and would appreciate you being less bombastic please. it's acceptable for someone to 'defend acura' just as you defend lexus and sometimes other brands. just because phil2005 only has a few posts is not relevant.

I don't care if you have a Yugo and a Pagani its ridiculous to act like this is the only place on the internet saying these things. EVERY forum is saying it from Wrestling to Gardening to even Honda forums, stating the obvious, the brand is struggling and going nowhere and the direction is still lost. This has been reitereated for years now by every auto publication and blog as well news sites.
phil's post you're responding to here was quite reasonable and he did not say comments about acura are only occurring here on ClubLexus. as a "Retired Super-Moderator for 10+ years" and a ClubLexus Editor you need to show other users more respect please.

as for acura, you're right that its problems are well known and written about. so no real need to continue pounding the drum, huh?

I think you should take your displeasure and maybe write Acura a letter.
his displeasure at what? he didn't express any about acura.

anyway, please be more civil especially to those with few posts on here, just because their opinions don't align with yours.
Old 08-02-12, 04:01 AM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why would lexus need acura and infiniti to succeed? i'd expect lexus doesn't care much about them given their low sales, and wouldn't be bothered at all if they went away.

mike i think that was unnecessarily rude and would appreciate you being less bombastic please. it's acceptable for someone to 'defend acura' just as you defend lexus and sometimes other brands. just because phil2005 only has a few posts is not relevant.

phil's post you're responding to here was quite reasonable and he did not say comments about acura are only occurring here on ClubLexus. as a "Retired Super-Moderator for 10+ years" and a ClubLexus Editor you need to show other users more respect please.

as for acura, you're right that its problems are well known and written about. so no real need to continue pounding the drum, huh?

his displeasure at what? he didn't express any about acura.

anyway, please be more civil especially to those with few posts on here, just because their opinions don't align with yours.
I'll be sure to remember this with the next chat with Lexus. You guys enjoy your acuras lol.

MPLexus and I have posted the sound reasoning on why Lexus needs the other brands to succeed. Otherwise it's simply the German big 4 (including Porsche) vs Lexus. That doesn't help perception of Japanese luxury.

Most months for 10 years some people that have no vested interest in the members here come to argue with mostly a complete lack of knowledge of the luxury market. They are here to argue and defend no matter how wrong over the years. So why continue. Ask them to compile data and links that actually provide useful information instead of waiting and then trolling.

Enjoy your thread now without the data I deleted unless you would like to repost my hard work.

Old 08-02-12, 04:14 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I'll be sure to remember this with the next chat with Lexus. You guys enjoy your acuras lol.

MPLexus and I have posted the sound reasoning on why Lexus needs the other brands to succeed. Otherwise it's simply the German big 4 (including Porsche) vs Lexus. That doesn't help perception of Japanese luxury.

Most months for 10 years some people that have no vested interest in the members here come to argue with mostly a complete lack of knowledge of the luxury market. They are here to argue and defend no matter how wrong over the years. So why continue. Ask them to compile data and links that actually provide useful information instead of waiting and then trolling.

Enjoy your thread now without the data I deleted unless you would like to repost my hard work.

1sicklex please exit this thread.

The moderators simple request of you was to be civil to other members and respect their opinions of other makes even when they do not align with yours. I am very comfortable with you sending Lexus a link to this exact thread and look forward to their feedback.
Old 08-02-12, 04:54 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post MarketShare

U.S. demand for light vehicles continued to defy mostly weak economic indicators by rising 9 percent in July.

Big sales gains at Japan's and Europe's top automakers -- Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Volkswagen -- offset declines at Ford Motor Co. and General Motors.

The seasonally adjusted annualized sales rate hit 14.1 million, in line with forecasts.

But July's 9 percent gain trailed analysts' projections as well as the double-digit increases of the two previous months. The industry's sales gain for the year is now 14 percent, down from 15 percent through June.

"Current data suggests that things are a little bit on the soft side compared with earlier in the year," Jenny Lin, Ford Motor Co.'s senior U.S. economist, said today.

Among major automakers, Toyota, Chrysler, Honda, and VW have gained market share this year through July, while GM, Ford and Hyundai-Kia have lost ground. Nissan's share has remained flat.

The Bureau of Economic Analysis said today it revised its seasonal factors used to determine the monthly calculation of seasonally adjusted sales rates, resulting in a lower SAAR for the first quarter of 2012 and slightly higher rates in the second quarter.

Under the revised figures, the SAAR has topped 14 million units each month this year except for May and January. Previously, May was the only month below 14 million.

On track

Analysts and automakers continue to cite pent-up demand, new models, low interest rates and easing credit terms for the industry's sales gains.

Many consumers are choosing to replace older, less fuel-efficient models, still placing the industry on track to surpass sales of 14 million units in 2012.

"Signs of a housing recovery and good news on consumer confidence and household income should help keep the light- vehicle selling rate in the 14-million range and drive seasonally higher truck sales as we move toward fall," Kurt McNeil, head of U.S. sales operations for GM, said in a statement.

Still, recent reports showing lackluster job creation and persistent worries about the U.S. and European economies, are keeping automakers on alert.

Jeff Schuster, senior vice president of forecasting at LMC Automotive, says the forecasting firm's 2012 sales forecast of 14.5 million could be reduced by 150,000 units if the U.S. economy slows further.

"The auto industry is closely watching the sales performance over the next two months as the industry wrestles with a mixed bag of economic signals," Schuster said.

GM and Ford tied their declines in July U.S. sales on falling fleet deliveries.

GM's sales dropped 6 percent last month, with deliveries to retail customers off 3 percent. The company said total fleet deliveries declined 15 percent, including a 41 percent drop in sales to rental customers.

Ford reported a 4 percent drop in sales last month, with retail volume up 2 percent and fleet down 16 percent.

Honda Motor Co., Toyota Motor Sales, Chrysler Group, Subaru, Nissan North America, and the Volkswagen Group all had double-digit increases.

Toyota recorded a 26 percent increase as it continued to recover from earthquake-related inventory shortages a year ago. The Toyota division, aided by the redesigned Camry, posted a 24 percent increase in July sales, while Lexus shipments jumped 25 percent.

Honda: strong retail demand

American Honda said its July sales surged 45 percent to 116,944 units, with the Honda brand up 46 percent and volume at Acura advancing 36 percent.

John Mendel, American Honda's head of sales, credited "growing inventory" and "strong retail customer demand" for the company's July results.

"Our sales momentum continues to build through the summer,"
Mendel said in a statement.

Demand for each of the Honda brand's four core models -- Accord, Odyssey, CR-V and Civic -- soared 47 percent or more compared with July 2011, when earthquake-related shortages dented sales.

Toyota and Honda continued to recover U.S. market share in July.

At GM, sales were down 15 percent at Buick, 9 percent at GMC and 7 percent at Chevrolet. Deliveries rose 21 percent at Cadillac.

GM indicated earlier that sales to rental customers would be down sharply in July because scheduled shipments occurred earlier in the year compared with 2011.

Sales at the Ford Division dropped 4 percent while Lincoln volume dropped 11 percent.

Chrysler rolls on

Chrysler said its sales rose 13 percent -- its 28th consecutive monthly gain, with car sales advancing 19 percent and light truck deliveries up 11 percent.

Chrysler brand sales jumped 35 percent, while deliveries increased 15 percent at the Ram brand, 7 percent at Jeep, 6 percent at Dodge and 22 percent at Fiat.

Chrysler said sales of the new Dodge Dart compact hit 772 units in July, the model's 1st full-month on the U.S. market.

"July was another solid month for Chrysler Group as we again demonstrated our disciplined and methodical approach to growing sales and profits," Reid Bigland, head of U.S. sales for Chrysler Group, said in a statement.

Nissan North America posted a 16 percent July gain, aided by a 57 percent increase at the Infiniti luxury unit. Nissan Division sales rose 12 percent.

Volkswagen Group said July sales rose 27 percent at the VW brand and 28 percent at Audi. Subaru was up 16 percent.

The Hyundai-Kia Group, hurt by shortages of key models, said sales rose 5 percent last month, with Kia up 6 percent and Hyundai volume advancing 4 percent. It was the 2nd-smallest monthly sales gain for the automaker since August 2010.

"This is a challenging situation in this hyper-competitive retail environment, so we are looking forward to August with great anticipation," said Dave Zuchowski, executive vice president of sales for the Hyundai brand. "Relief is on the way with the 1st shipments of our all-new Santa Fe ... and improved availability of [the] Veloster Turbo, Elantra GT and Elantra Coupe."

The BMW Group posted a 4 percent gain in July sales, with a 24 percent gain at Mini offsetting a 1 percent dip at the BMW brand. It was the 1st drop in monthly sales for the BMW brand since May 2010.

Tough decisions

Some automakers face tough decisions this summer amid signs that the recent gains in transaction prices are slowing, and incentives and inventories are increasing.

With some companies hiking output, the industry may face more pressure to raise incentives if demand moderates, as well.

"It's a brave moment for the industry," John Krafcik, head of American Hyundai, said last month. "We're at a turning point."

The U.S. auto industry started July with a 58-day supply of cars and light trucks, up from a 52-day supply at the beginning of June.

Average incentives fell 2.7 percent in July to $2,480 from June, TrueCar.com estimates.

Autodata Corp. estimates average industry incentives have climbed 3 percent this year through June to $2,507, compared with $2,437 during the same 2011 period.

Average transaction prices in July rose 1.6 percent to $30,369 compared to a year ago, TrueCar estimated.

TrueCar analyst Jesse Toprak expects average transaction prices to remain above $30,000 for the rest of the year, but some automakers, notably the Detroit 3, may see transaction prices soften, he said.

The outlook for transaction prices will depend on how much automakers have to discount to clear out 2012 models.

"With economic growth slowing, sales growth will likely level off," said Alec Gutierrez, senior market analyst of Automotive Insights at Kelley Blue Book. "Manufacturers will need to get creative to keep sales momentum moving forward."
Old 08-02-12, 07:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i think a lot of people are getting new vehicles because they don't think low interest rates are going to last, and inflation is looming. kind of the calm before the storm.

maybe many realize cars typically are a lot less expensive in the u.s. compared to other countries and expect the party to be over soon.
Old 08-02-12, 08:13 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Arrow Diesel Sales

Through the 1st 6 months of the year, Americans purchased 61,214 diesel-powered vehicles, not including heavy-duty diesel pickup trucks, according to a study by HybridCars.com and Baum and Associates. That figure represents a 27.5-percent improvement over the previous year.

Not counting HD trucks, .8 percent of vehicles sold in the States are diesel cars; including pickups brings that number up to three percent. Some of the best sales performances are being turned in by Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen, with the A3 TDI accounting for almost 65 percent of all A3 sales.

Hybrid sales are also up, according to the report, increasing by 63.5 percent over 2011's levels, and, with a slew of new models coming in the next few years, clean vehicle sales aren't likely to slow down any time soon. And we'll welcome them with open arms. See all the details in the press release below.
U.S. Clean Diesel Auto Sales Increase 27.5 Percent During 1st Half of 2012

WASHINGTON, July 31, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- More Than 15 New Diesel Autos to be Introduced In U.S. Market

During the 1st 6 months of 2012 clean diesel automobile sales in the United States increased 27.5 percent, according to new sales information compiled by HybridCars.Com and Baum and Associates.

In the second quarter of 2012, U.S. sales of clean diesel autos increased 22.3 percent in June over June 2011, increased 14.4 percent in May, and increased 28.2 percent in April.

During the 1st 6 months of 2012, U.S. hybrid car sales increased 63.5 percent and the overall automobile market increased 14.9 percent, according to the new sales information.

Month (2012 v. 2011) Clean Diesel +/- Hybrids +/- Overall Market +/-June 2012 +22.3% +171.8% +22.2%May 2012 +14.4% +113.5% +25.7%April 2012 +28.2% +55.9% + 2.3%March 2012 +39.6% +39.6% +12.7%February 2012 +42.9% +55.4% +13.8%January 2012 +21.2% +11.4% +11.5%Total Sold in 2012 61,214 217,701 7,248,893(source:HybridCars.Com and Baum and Associates)

Diesel Sales Show Steady Double-Digit Increases for Past 2 Years

"The 27.5 percent increase reflects the emerging market for clean diesel automobiles in the United States,"
said Allen Schaeffer, the Executive Director of the Diesel Technology Forum. "While clean diesel auto and light truck sales total about 3 percent of the total U.S. passenger car market, the steady double-digit monthly sales increases show a definite trend of interest in diesels.

"Despite some volatility in the auto market, clean diesel auto sales have increased in 22 of the past 23 months with double-digit increases in 20 of those months. And diesel auto sales increased by more than 30 percent in 12 of these months.

"While this is significantly less than the 50 percent diesel sales rate in Europe, it does indicate that Americans are taking a renewed interest as more diesels are being introduced into the U.S. market.

"With more than 15 new clean diesel models designated for the U.S. in the next 2 years, I fully expect diesel sales to increase even more extensively in the near future,"
Schaeffer said.

Some Clean Diesel Models Show 50%+ Sales Increase

Schaeffer said some of the major highlights of the 2012 clean diesel auto sales include:

Sales of Audi TDI diesel models in June made up 64.8 percent of overall Audi A3 models and 37.1 percent of overall Audi Q7 sales.

Sales of Mercedes' BlueTEC diesel models in June were up 50.3 percent for the year compared to the same period last year.

Sales of Volkswagen's Passat TDI clean diesel accounted for 21 percent of the midsize sedan's sales in June.

(See a list of all the Clean Diesel Vehicles Currently Available in the U.S.)

Pike Research Predicts Strong Future Diesel Sales In U.S.

According to a recent Pike Research study, rising fuel prices and stronger fuel economy regulations will stimulate increasing demand for clean diesel vehicles in markets around the world (Green Fleet). Pike forecasts that sales of these clean diesel vehicles will increase from 9.1 million in 2012 to 12.1 million annually by 2018, with clean diesels representing 12.4 percent of all light-duty vehicle sales by the end of that period.

Pike also predicts that the growth of diesel light duty vehicles will be especially strong in North America, with annual sales expected to increase from 282,000 vehicles in 2012 to 928,000 by 2018.

New Federal Mileage Regulations Will Further Increase Diesel Car Sales

Schaeffer said with higher and fluctuating fuel prices, Americans are seeking more fuel efficient cars. In addition, he said the new federal fuel efficiency standards that will require a 54.5 mpg average by 2025 will also boost clean diesel auto sales, as diesel cars are 20 to 40 more fuel efficient than gasoline versions.

More Clean Diesel Autos Will Soon Be Available In U.S.

In addition to the recent addition of the 2012 Volkswagen Passat TDI diesel and 2012 Porsche Cayenne diesel, Schaeffer said a number of additional diesels will be available soon in the U.S. including:

Audi A6, A8 and Q5 TDI clean diesels will be available in 2013 and an A4 diesel version in 2014 or early as 2013.

BMW announced that the U.S. market will see a 2.0-liter 4 cylinder diesel and 3.0-liter inline 6 diesel engine in the next 12 months.

Chrysler will introduce its new Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel in 2014, along with a new version of the discontinued Dakota pickup that will include a diesel.

Ford will offer a new diesel Transit full-size commercial van in 2013.

General Motors will offer a Cadillac ATS diesel and a diesel version of the Chevrolet Cruze in 2013.

Mazda will become the 1st Asian car manufacturer to sell diesel cars in the U.S. when it introduces its SKYACTIV-D 2.2-liter clean diesel engine.

The Mercedes S350 BlueTEC marks the return of the diesel-powered Mercedes-Benz S-Class to the United States in 2012. Mercedes also plans to bring a diesel in the GLK and C-class for a total of 8 diesel models by 2014.

The newly redesigned 2012 VW Beetle will once again feature a TDI diesel version.

Also, possible new U.S. diesels in the near future include:

Mini Cooper diesel

Volkswagen Tiguan TDI diesel

Mercedes A Class diesel

Kia Optima diesel

Jaguar Land Rover diesel

ABOUT THE DIESEL TECHNOLOGY FORUM

The Diesel Technology Forum is a non-profit national organization dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of diesel engines, fuel and technology. Forum members are leaders in clean diesel technology and represent the three key elements of the modern clean-diesel system: advanced engines, vehicles and equipment, cleaner diesel fuel and emissions-control systems. For more information visit www.dieselforum.org .
Old 08-02-12, 08:16 AM
modernx
Rookie

Canada Auto Sales For July 2012

1.Ford - 27,346 +3.1%
2.Toyota - 14,028 +30.3%
3.Hyundai - 12,840 +0.8%
4.Chevrolet - 11,757 -5.4%
5.Honda - 9,604 +25.5%
6.Dodge - 9,492 -5.6%
7.Kia - 7,683 +20.4%
8.Ram - 6,803 +0.7%
9.Mazda - 6,671 +1.2%
10.GMC - 6,013 -2.4%
11.Jeep - 4,935 +7.5%
12.Volkswagen - 4,807 +6.3%
13.Nissan - 4,635 -33.3%
14.BMW - 2,510 +4.4%
15.Mercedes-Benz - 2,394 +12%
16.Subaru - 2,362 +23.3%
17.Chrysler - 2,167 +66.3%
18.Acura - 1,580 +35.7%
19.Audi - 1,563 +14.1%
20.Mitsubishi - 1,406 -16.4%
21.Lexus - 1,107 +18.3%
22.Buick 967 -19.3%
23.Fiat - 765 +12.5%
24.Scion - 684 +47.4%
25.Infiniti - 681 +19.7%
26.Mini - 620 +33.9%
27.Lincoln - 590 -25.9%
28.Suzuki - 505 +9.8%
29.Cadillac - 469 -15.5%
30.Volvo - 462 -37.2%
31.Land Rover - 290 +49.5%
32.Porsche - 253 +26.5%
33.Smart - 239 +73.2%
34.Jaguar - 55 -22.5%

By Company:
1.Ford Motor Company - 27,936 +2.2%
2.Chrysler Canada - 24,162 +3.3%
3.Hyundai Group - 20,533 +7.3%
4.General Motors - 19,206 -5.6%
5.Toyota Canada - 15,819 +30%
6.Honda Canada - 11,184 +26.8%
7.VW Group - 6,623 +8.7%
8.Nissan Canada - 5,316 -29.3%
9.BMW-MINI - 3,130 +9.2%
10.Diamler AG - 2,633 +15.7%
11.Jaguar-Land Rover - 345 +30.2%

By Market Share:
1.Ford Motor Company - 18.9%
2.Chrysler Canada - 16.2%
3.Hyundai Group - 13.9%
4.General Motors - 13%
5.Toyota Canada - 10.7%
6.Honda Canada - 7.5%
7.Mazda (tie) - 4.5%
8.VW Group (tie) - 4.5%
9.Nissan Canada - 3.6%
10.BMW-MINI - 2.1%
11.Diamler - 1.8%
12.Other - 1.8%
13.Subaru - 1.6%
Old 08-02-12, 12:27 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Entry Level Class
G- 7,365
3series- 7,653
A4/A5- 5,181
Maxima-5,118
CTS-4,743
LaCrosse-4,001
ES- 3,759
MKZ-3,033
TL- 2,358
IS- 2,296
CC- 2,198
TSX- 1,980
Regal-1,784
CT- 1,499
A3-651
1series- 379
Lucerne-11
Very impressed by the G selling neck-and-neck with the 3-series. This is no small feat, thanks to the new G25 offering and the rising A4 for eating into the 3-series's sales too. The ES and IS are old so even the combined volume of the two is still quite behind those of the 3-series and the G. Of course the 3-series and G have more variants but that's also something Lexus seriously needs to work on (an IS coupe is a no-brainer really, come on Lexus).

Last edited by ydooby; 08-02-12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-02-12, 07:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Very impressive Infiniti G sales! Also Hyundai/Kia marketshare continues to drop.

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^The last model struggled due to poor planning and a lack of marketing on Lexus' behalf, IMO. I would have liked to see them kick this generation off with more of a media blitz to rebuild the GS' profile in the segment. Last generation it quickly became an "also-ran" and I don't think Lexus has done a good job of correcting that with the new model.

To put it into other terms, when you make a big enough splash, the ripples will be felt across the pool. If you slip in on the shallow end and expect everyone to turn around and notice that you're there...well...good luck
I agree, Lexus needs to focus on MORE marketing for the GS. MORE GS focus period is needed. The IS, ES, LS, and RX all sell great almost automatically. The GS is the model that needs the MOST help and the MOST push from Lexus marketing.

Lexus also needs to focus on providing lots of updates to the GS line to keep it fresh, and expanding the lineup into things like a GS coupe and GS F model.
Old 08-02-12, 08:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I agree, Lexus needs to focus on MORE marketing for the GS. MORE GS focus period is needed. The IS, ES, LS, and RX all sell great almost automatically. The GS is the model that needs the MOST help and the MOST push from Lexus marketing.

Lexus also needs to focus on providing lots of updates to the GS line to keep it fresh, and expanding the lineup into things like a GS coupe and GS F model.
none of that's going to happen though since a big chunk of their limited budget will be used to push the new es and its sales will eat into gs sales further.
Old 08-02-12, 09:29 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

I think the ES really cannibalizes sales away from the GS. The ES is roomier and offers essentially the same Lexus luxury for less. Most people buying luxury cars aren't buying for rear wheel drive performance.

The 5 series and E class offer a clear step up in size and prestige compared to the 3 and C.. If it was just the IS, GS, and LS...sales would certainly be a lot higher for the GS.

Regardless, it's selling well enough for now and I believe serves as the platform for the next IS. Hopefully it can keep some momentum over the long term. It's a little annoying when only 2 cars in the entire class are the ones with consistently successful sales numbers.
Old 08-03-12, 05:43 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
I think the ES really cannibalizes sales away from the GS. The ES is roomier and offers essentially the same Lexus luxury for less. Most people buying luxury cars aren't buying for rear wheel drive performance.

The 5 series and E class offer a clear step up in size and prestige compared to the 3 and C.. If it was just the IS, GS, and LS...sales would certainly be a lot higher for the GS.

Regardless, it's selling well enough for now and I believe serves as the platform for the next IS. Hopefully it can keep some momentum over the long term. It's a little annoying when only 2 cars in the entire class are the ones with consistently successful sales numbers.
If Lexus sold only GS, and no other cars, GS would sell at least double :-).

Otherwise, GS sales will never match E class and 5 series, unless Lexus offers A LOT better lease rates to compete... most people in this class lease their cars and Germans have much nicer rates than Lexus.

Plus 2-3 more engine options...
Old 08-03-12, 06:00 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Question Lexus Incentives

Anyone have an opinion on how reliable Edmunds info is on incentives? I find it interesting that they list the 2013 Lexus GS 350 & 450h as having the highest rebates to customers ($1,500) - seems odd since it is the newest car in the lineup.
Thanks!

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/car-incentives.html

Quick Reply: July 2012 Auto Sales