Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM's New Vehicle.....Yes, I took one home tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Congrats,Mike!
You have liked the Verano for quite awhile and pulled the trigger quicker than I thought you would..
Thanks.

My old Subie hadn't died yet by any means, and probably had a lot of miles left on it. But it was aging, and the longer I kept it, the less it was worth. I also had some recent repairs, and some other issues like a timing-belt, hose-replacements, and some major-service were soon to come up.
Old 08-01-12, 09:21 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Congrats on the new ride, Mike. I hope you have good luck with it.
Thanks.

The Buick 4/50 and 5/100 warranties are also reassuring, if anything does screw-up on it. That's a significant step-up from their older warranty.
Old 08-01-12, 09:38 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Congrats on the new car. I will have to check one out. I have not seen any on the road yet but I do like the looks of the new regal. I have noticed you have always liked Buicks so I am not surprised you got one though I figured you might get another Subaru as you seem to like yours and you seem to be a big fan of AWD. You have said you are a pretty big guy, is the Verano a comfortable fit for you?

If you are not into washing and waxing your car too often or it is a problem where you live you may want to try applying a permanent/semi permanent sealant like Opti Coat 2.0 on your new car.

I have been a fan of a couple Buicks like the Regal Grand National/GNX, the Reatta, the last Riviera coupe. My uncle had a Lesabre I used to ride in a lot and drove a couple times, it was nice. A friends dad had a Roadmaster and it was just as nice as any Cadillac I was in at the time, it was very floaty but had a nice smooth ride and tons of features, it even had a LT1 Corvette engine in it.
Old 08-01-12, 10:26 AM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Congrats. Curious why you didn't get an AWD car given you penchant for Subarus and the bad weather there?
Old 08-01-12, 10:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by UDel
Congrats on the new car.
Thanks.

I have noticed you have always liked Buicks so I am not surprised you got one though I figured you might get another Subaru as you seem to like yours and you seem to be a big fan of AWD.
Not really. I liked Buicks (and also muscle-cars of all makes) when I was growing up in the 1960s and early 70s, and I owned two used Buicks before I was 20. But, after the early 70s, Buicks deteriorated rapidly in quality (I was casually reviewing cars even back then). For decades afterward, like some other American-brands, they made what I considered junk....though admittedly smooth-riding, comfortable junk. The Verano is the first American-market Buick in decades that I would actually spend my money on.

You have said you are a pretty big guy, is the Verano a comfortable fit for you?
Yes...but I have to get the seat and steering column exactly right...there isn't much wiggle-room.

f you are not into washing and waxing your car too often or it is a problem where you live you may want to try applying a permanent/semi permanent sealant like Opti Coat 2.0 on your new car.
Thanks...I know I have a number of options. Our most recent couple of winters here haven't been bad at all, and they haven't used much salt.

I have been a fan of a couple Buicks like the Regal Grand National/GNX, the Reatta, the last Riviera coupe. My uncle had a Lesabre I used to ride in a lot and drove a couple times, it was nice. A friends dad had a Roadmaster and it was just as nice as any Cadillac I was in at the time, it was very floaty but had a nice smooth ride and tons of features, it even had a LT1 Corvette engine in it.
Agree on the Roadmaster's ride and comfort, but its suspension was simply too soft for that kind of weight-level. The one I test-drove plowed and rolled like a beach-ball on the slightest steering-input around corners.

The LeSabre, especially the pre-2000 versions, also had a Cream-of-Wheat suspension and bounded up and down over bumps, but its lower weight-level made it a little less Roly-Poly in the corners than the Roadmaster.

Trust me......the Verano's chassis and tires are nothing like that. It has traditional Buick quietness, but combines it with a German-type chassis-response....after all, it is an Opel platform.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-12 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-01-12, 10:42 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ST430
Congrats.
Thanks.

Curious why you didn't get an AWD car given you penchant for Subarus and the bad weather there?
I explained that in several posts, but, in short, recent winters are getting less-severe here (with one or two exceptions), and there are several design and marketing features on the newer American-market non-turbo Subies I didn't like...a couple of which were, IMO, deal-breakers.
Old 08-01-12, 03:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats Mike,... You finally bought a car after all these years doing reviews for us... Its nice to know that even you can settle on a car with some flaws and still be happy..... Is this a Turbo version?
Old 08-01-12, 04:49 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the new car!

I too was not just impressed but blown away by a recent Buick, a 2011 Lacrosse that I went along for a test ride in when my folks were shopping for a new car. Absolutely top notch interior design. Very modern looking and feeling, with very nice materials. The only thing that stopped it from serious consideration by my folks was the slightly small for the class trunk. All of the other new Buicks look great to me, although I don't tend to see too many on the road as the DC area isn't exactly a big Buick area. I do see plenty of Enclaves though. Co-worker has one, it's very nice!
Old 08-01-12, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats Mike,...
Thanks.

You finally bought a car after all these years doing reviews for us...
Well, if you smell good hot coffee long enough on a cold morning, where is some of that coffee going to end up?

Its nice to know that even you can settle on a car with some flaws and still be happy
Well, after more than 40 years of checking out cars, (I actually started as a teen-ager), I've yet to find the perfect car.....though, for the era, IMO, some of the late 60s GM cars came close, with their main flaw being lousy acrylic-lacquer paint. But there's a difference between a car with flaws that you can easily live with every day as a daily-driver and something that you would only get in and drive as an absolute last resort, to keep from walking. In fact, with the Smart-for-Two, I might just choose walking

.... Is this a Turbo version?
No. I didn't want the boosted version. First of all, the Turbo isn't out yet. Second, I don't think this car, for my usual daily-driving style, needs the extra power. Third, I don't want to have to use premium gas like I did with my Lexus IS300. Fourth, the Turbo will not be a bona-fide sports-sedan per se, but the word from Buick is that it will have slightly firmer underpinnings. IMO, the non-turbo Verano's underpinnings and low-profile 45-series tires, though much more responsive than floaty traditional Buicks, are already plenty-firm enough.

Next, year, for the non-turbo model, if the present marketing plans hold up, Buick is going to replace the standard Ecotec 2.4L with a new 2.5L wth slightly more power.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-01-12 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-01-12, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Congrats on the new car!
Thanks.

I too was not just impressed but blown away by a recent Buick, a 2011 Lacrosse that I went along for a test ride in when my folks were shopping for a new car. Absolutely top notch interior design. Very modern looking and feeling, with very nice materials. The only thing that stopped it from serious consideration by my folks was the slightly small for the class trunk.
Yes, the difference between the new and older LaCrosse styling, both inside and out, is striking when you see it for the first time. In its chassis-engineering, the new Lacrosse has an almost ideal combination of ride, handling, steering-response, and braking, which is hard to find outside of some German makes. But the interior materials, while admittedly glitzy to look at, are (mostly) just the same old GM light-plastic with a thin surface coat of chrome or wood-tone film on them. Not so with the Verano...the plastics and other materials inside feel substantially thicker and more sturdy than those in other Buicks. That's one reason (among many) why I chose a Verano.

All of the other new Buicks look great to me, although I don't tend to see too many on the road as the DC area isn't exactly a big Buick area. I do see plenty of Enclaves though. Co-worker has one, it's very nice!
Just look around you. Buicks are extremely popular in this area with the older and retired crowd, though the Verano is, admittedly, aimed at a slightly younger age-bracket. The Enclave is popular with the many families in this area, as the generally high income-levels (especially in Fairfax and Montgomery counties) allow many families and soccer-moms to easily own or lease them.
Old 08-04-12, 04:25 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

thanks for the great reply.. Enjoy the new car..
Old 08-04-12, 04:55 PM
Individual
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats MM! Nice choice and looking forward to seeing the pics. It's always interesting to see what kind of car a car reviewer picks out
Old 08-04-12, 05:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats on the new car buddy. I know if you picked it then it must be damn good. I hope you have many happy years with the car
Old 08-04-12, 09:26 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 158 Likes on 93 Posts

Congrats Mike! Not a surprise to hear this news, as you have been drooling over the BeeVee for a while. I think it's a wise (practical) choice that will suite your needs well. Enjoy it in good health and keep on posting/reviewing.
Old 08-04-12, 09:28 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

These cars look great.... Did a couple triple takes on um driving around.

Quick Reply: MM's New Vehicle.....Yes, I took one home tonight.