Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2013 Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
This car is what the Honda Civic SHOULD HAVE BEEN
I agree that, like the new VW Jetta, the new Civic is a classic cost-cutting disappointment (I was the first one to say so myself in my 2012 Civic review last year). But, like it or not, several factors have come together recently to force cost-cutting on Japanese-designed vehicles, including rising material/shipping costs and a deteriorating Yen/Dollar relationship. You also have to remember that the average Civic costs around 20K .....the ILX starts at 26K, and runs well over 30K for some versions, primarily because of the nice extra touches on the ILX that you are refering to.

Consumer Reports, BTW, has written on this subject lately (the cheapening of a number of new vehicles, particularly from Japan). They are generally more-informed on it, and can explain it better than I can.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 07:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
As always, great review !
Thanks.

I have a friend looking at this class of car right now, so would you choose the Acura ILX or a Mazda 3 S Grand touring? Both with auto and tech pack.
An interesting comparison. The oldest son of a close friend of mind got a new Mazda3 recently (I don't remember the options/trim-level) and he loves it. Despite its newness and the lack of a track record, I'd bet on excellent reliability for the ILX (probably better then the Mazda's), although, according to Consumer Reports, the Mazda3 is also better-than-average in that area. The Mazda3 is likely to depreciate less, due to its great popularity (currently the best-selling Mazda in the American market)....despite Acura's marketing PR, I still see at least (some) of Acura ILX and TSX sales eating into each other. I wouldn't look for huge bargains, in the dealing-process, off of either car right now, though, of course, to compensate, auto-finance rates, like other loans, right now, are at historically-low levels. Both cars are well-built, though I'd give the ILX a slight edge...as I stated in the review, it's assembled like a Swiss-watch. The Mazda3, unlike the ILX, offers a 5-door hatchback for added cargo-space. Both cars offer high-mileage versions...the ILX, a gas/electric hybrid, and the Mazda3, a Skyactiv conventional gas powered 40-MPG-highway version. The ILX's automatic is a 5-speed (or CVT with the hybrid); the Mazda3 offers a 5 or 6-speed auomatic, depending on the version.

So, in short, to choose betwen the ILX and the Mazda3 would depend on a number of factors, specifically geared to just what your friend's needs are in a car, and what your friend is looking for. He (or she) would probably save some money with the Mazda3...it has significantly lower-price than the ILX.

(And, BTW, if your friend is considering one as a possibility, the MazdaSpeed3 5-door hatchback is back on Mazda's web-site now, so it looks like they have it back in production)

http://mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayModelSelector.action

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-12 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 07:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From what I remember, the Type S models were nice cars, but didn't sell very well in the American market (I test-drove both a CL and TL Type S, and did a full-review on the TL). Many of the potential buyers who would have bought them, instead, ended up going to BMW and Audi shops.
they may not sell in droves but it does give them more (for lack of a better word), respect among other manufactures and consumers alike. My favorite acura is the 2008 TL Type S. had the car at least offered AWD it would have help sway consumers who went towards German makes. That said the 2009 TL with SH-AWD beat out a 335i, 335xi, G35, G35x, and S4 around a track to its credit (I'll look for the article). It's drive system is phenomenal. But alas it's subjective design and close Honda lineage deters people to sway towards something else
Old 07-30-12, 07:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
My favorite Acura is the 2008 TL Type S.
Happy to oblige. Read and enjoy.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...ype-s-6mt.html
Old 07-30-12, 08:20 PM
LexFather

Angry

The CT, as I saw it, is better in some areas; not in others.

As far as the other cars go, I have to at least partly disagree. It's true that none of these cars (even the Verano) are necessarily perfect or mirror-image competitors. Again, it depends on the context of how you use the term. That's why I said that, in the American market, they were probably the ILX's closest competitors, not necessarily a bunch of other peas in the same pod.

One could, maybe (?) also include the Lexus HS250 as a potential rival, except that the HS may not be around much longer (it's not on the Lexus web-site any more), and, like the CT, it only comes in a hybrid-form. And that would, of course, compete with the ILX hybrid.
Absolutely wrong. The CT starts at 31k and is far more advanced and luxurious. It's standard features the ILX nor many acuras don't even offer.

The HS is gone. It started at 37k and again had features and options no Acura offers. Front cameras, HUD, a real hybrid power train.

Competitors are the vernano, dart, focus, etc. The Buick Verano and ILX are head on competitors, nothing else is really in that class from luxury brands.

And that's the issue with this car. Acura is once again only fooling themselves and loyal fanboys trying to suggest it's fighting cars it clearly is outclassed against.

Old 07-30-12, 08:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Absolutely wrong. The CT starts at 31k and is far more advanced and luxurious. It's standard features the ILX nor many acuras don't even offer.

The HS is gone. It started at 37k and again had features and options no Acura offers. Front cameras, HUD, a real hybrid power train.

Competitors are the vernano, dart, focus, etc. The Buick Verano and ILX are head on competitors, nothing else is really in that class from luxury brands.

And that's the issue with this car. Acura is once again only fooling themselves and loyal fanboys trying to suggest it's fighting cars it clearly is outclassed against.
Like I said earlier, the CT may not have been a perfect pea-in-a-pod competitor to the ILX, but it is the closest thing that Lexus has to it. The ILX is also somewhat larger in size.....closer physically to the IS, but I agree that the IS is somewhat more upmarket and is not a direct competitor.

I strongly disagree, though, on the Dart and Focus. Both cars are from generally less-upmarket manufacturers than Acura, sell (on average) for substantially less than the ILX, and are definitely not as nice inside....though the Dart interior, IMO, is admittedly somewhat nicer than that of the Focus (I've seen and reviewed both).

I will concede one thing, though, as I stated earlier. Despite its nice build-quality and materials, the ILX does drive more like an upmarket Civic than a true entry-level luxury car. The Buick Verano, for instance, puts it to shame in the road-noise and tranny-smoothness departments. And (ironically), the ILX's 5-speed automatic is one-upped by both the Dart and Focus's 6-speed autos, though the Focus unit has proven rather clunky at low speeds.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-12 at 08:46 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

another awesome review buddy. Thanks !! I have been curious about the new ILX and I appreciate the info and review. I am not loving the exterior. The rear looks too short and too high. The rest of the review was right on in my opinion as well. I wonder if we will see the 3.5 liter V6 dropped into this platform in the future. Knowing Acura its probably not likely. Acura needs to shake it up a little.
Old 07-30-12, 09:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
another awesome review buddy. Thanks !!

I have been curious about the new ILX and I appreciate the info and review.
Sure...anytime. Glad it helped. That's why I do them.

I am not loving the exterior. The rear looks too short and too high. The rest of the review was right on in my opinion as well. I wonder if we will see the 3.5 liter V6 dropped into this platform in the future. Knowing Acura its probably not likely. Acura needs to shake it up a little.
I agree that the 2.0L is a little wimpy, but I'm not sure if the ILX's fairly small underhood compartment would easily take the 3.5L without having it stuffed in with a shoe-horn, making for a tight-fit and the difficulty of working underhood, not to mention (possible) nose-heaviness. The designers, with the 2.0L, have, for now, at least given us a nice roomy and uncluttered underhood compartment in which to do repairs and and service (one of the best and least-cluttered, IMO, in the upmarket-car category). Perhaps the best answer to more power, at least temporarily and barring an underhood or front-end redesign, is the 2.4L. But that engine is, for now at least, only available with the 6MT......which, IMO, rules out practical-driving in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-30-12 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-30-12, 10:40 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazing, in your own review just 4 years ago the TL-S was 38k... Now this ILX thing is 32K. These two cars are not 6k apart, the TL-S is at least 16K superior to the ILX.
Old 07-31-12, 12:01 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't got that far in my description, but I'l admit that, as I mentioned in the review several times, it seems to be more of a classier, more-upmarket Civic than a true entry-level compact sedan.

And its overall build-quality seems anything but a joke. This car is not just tossed together hapazardly at the plant, but assembled with real care and precision.
The build quality is the last good thing about Acura. But there are really nothing else stands up from the competiton. I would consider a lot more cars before this one if I were in a market for one, Buick Verano for example.
Old 07-31-12, 12:38 AM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait! I did not see a magazine pocket behind the driver seat????????? Bravo Acura.
Old 07-31-12, 05:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I'd go with the Jetta GLI over this car any day. If I'm going to buy a performance-oriented compact that's the victim of obvious cost-cutting, isn't the GLI the benchmark?
Old 07-31-12, 08:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
The build quality is the last good thing about Acura.
Well, Consumer Reports rates Acura as one of the most reliable makes, overall...and they get input and experience from a lot of owners. I have always respected CR's reliability data...and, in general, it has closely paralled my own car-ownership experience over the years.

But there are really nothing else stands up from the competiton. I would consider a lot more cars before this one if I were in a market for one, Buick Verano for example.
Yes, the Verano is superb. It is still fairly new in America, though, and does not have a reliability-record yet (but neither, for that matter, does the ILX). The European Opel/Vauxhall Astra, though, which is not sold here (and forms much of the Verano's basic platform and interior) has a very good reputation in Europe. And the Buick Excelle, which is the Chinese version of the Verano, is the top-selling car in the rapidly-growing Chinese market.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-31-12 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
I'd go with the Jetta GLI over this car any day. If I'm going to buy a performance-oriented compact that's the victim of obvious cost-cutting, isn't the GLI the benchmark?
Apples and oranges, at least to some extent. The Jetta GLI seems more performance-oriented than the ILX. And its cost-cutting, IMO, is far more obvious than in the ILX.
Old 08-01-12, 11:04 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 211 Likes on 161 Posts

Almost sounds like Acura is--perhaps accidentally--transitioning back to what initially made them successful. Specifically, that they were Honda+. You didn't buy an Integra because you were cross-shopping a 3-series. It was meant for the people who wanted the reliability/fuel economy/fun of a civic, but just a couple steps nicer. In the early days, they did pretty well with this model of being upscale versions of common Honda vehicles. It's when they started thinking of themselves as a legitimate luxury brand and comparing themselves to MB/BMW/Lexus and the like that they fell on their face.

I'm all for the return of Honda+. There's barely enough room in the luxury segment for Audi. Infiniti keeps losing fingers trying to sneak in the door, there's no way Acura can cram themselves in there.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2013 Acura ILX