Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Do you like CVTs?
YES
42.37%
NO
33.90%
Neutral/no opinion yet
23.73%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and people's opinions on them

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-12, 11:56 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and people's opinions on them

I think CVTs are great and yet I'm flabbergasted as to why there are those who find these gearboxes as dull and even more boring (i.e. to the point that they say that they'd rather watch paint dry instead)

That and some media outlets don't seem to give CVTs proper justice. In fact here's a quote I've read from someone at CARSPYSHOTS

http://carspyshots.net/showthread.ph...959#post440959

CVT's are lambasted because auto magazines don't really understand how they work. The average consumer honestly won't even notice; I had my parents drive a Freestyle CVT, and they couldn't tell the difference between that and a normal automatic.

Many automags don't really have any engineering expertise or actual driving credentials. They're paid to write flowery, wordy articles expressing their feelings.

CVT's are awesome; they always pick the most efficient ratio for any given situation, whereas a traditional automatic is only limited to a few choices. A car loaded down would be optimal at a different ratio compared to one that isn't. With a traditional automatic, there is no variable or choosing for this type of situation.
So what's the general opinion on CVTs?

If I dont have access to the clutch; quite honestly an Altima 2.5 CVT isnt all that bad and I think the media *****lets just claw themselves to anything just to make a statement.

What do you think? ATVs and snowmobiles apply only secondary to this discussion.
Old 07-28-12, 12:14 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I voted neutral.

My reasoning is that I am sure it contributes to great gas mileage, but the sound of the engine when you are pushing it hard is a bit unrefined since it is a one tone sound. Even though my RXh has 295 horsepower, the car does not seem very willing and I often hear the loud engine revving noise.
Old 07-28-12, 02:19 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Test drove the latest GS450h F-Sport. I'm a believer but only in the Lexus version and only in hybrid form since the batteries/gas engine and CVT seem to mesh best in that combination.
Old 07-28-12, 06:30 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care for the conventional CVTs as I've heard a number of complaints of failures from mechanics. My Prius has a planetary gear setup that performs like a CVT but with supposedly better reliability.
Old 07-28-12, 10:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I think CVTs are great and yet I'm flabbergasted as to why there are those who find these gearboxes as dull and even more boring (i.e. to the point that they say that they'd rather watch paint dry instead)

That and some media outlets don't seem to give CVTs proper justice. In fact here's a quote I've read from someone at CARSPYSHOTS

http://carspyshots.net/showthread.ph...959#post440959

So what's the general opinion on CVTs?
have you driven a car with CVT? Answer is not that simple.

If you drive it normally, you wont notice a difference.

However when you step on it and if it is not fast car, experience is very, very, very strange.

as to the other people - Toyota HSD is different story - while it behaves similar to CVT, it has electric motors to help it out in acceleration which helps a lot to alleviate the weirdness.

I have driven Avensis 2.0l S-CVT, with 4 heavy people in it. Car has 154hp or something like that. When we came to uphil, we had to gun it to keep up with rest of the guys, and what that means is stepping on the pedal, rpms go to 5400 and stay there and seemingly nothing happens, just engine noise. It wasnt a nice experience.

So thats what journos dont like. If it was V6 or turbo CVT, it wouldnt have been a problem because you wouldnt have to be in that "mode" for so long. However smaller cars with smaller engines will see that a lot.

I know Toyota made some changes so there is some rpm shift (500-900rpm), and there is an manual mode which works good:

Now compare it to 80hp Nissan Micra CVT:

And thats what they complain about. I had Toyota's head of engineering telling me how CVT is the best transmission and how it will be used in future cars a lot, that was 4 years ago when new S-CVT was presented, and i think Toyota will move to CVT's in many regions quite soon enough.

But I sure would find it a chore if someone made me buy that Avensis CVT.
Old 07-28-12, 10:15 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

so with hybrids, you have 25-60hp "electric turbo" which comes on instantly, so you dont end up being in the "fast" mode a lot, because those common 45-60, 60-80mph accelerations are fast enough.
Old 07-28-12, 10:53 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

We have a CVT on my wife's Murano LE and its pretty cool. I will admit it makes the thing pull like a V8 on the freeway. Its impressive because it just keeps the motor in the torque band so helps move around this heavy SUV
Old 07-28-12, 01:06 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm neutral, but I do enjoy the sound the engine and exhaust makes during a shift
Old 07-28-12, 01:36 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
We have a CVT on my wife's Murano LE and its pretty cool. I will admit it makes the thing pull like a V8 on the freeway. Its impressive because it just keeps the motor in the torque band so helps move around this heavy SUV

this, plus MPG = what CVTs are all about.
Old 07-28-12, 01:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'm neutral, but I do enjoy the sound the engine and exhaust makes during a shift
CVT's don't "shift" per-se, as they are basically just but a drive-belt between two irregularly-shaped drive-cones. In some Nissan and Subaru CVTs, though, automatic or paddle-shifted staged indents in the cones for the belts serve as separate steps that more or less imitate six "gears".

Old 07-28-12, 01:55 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think hoovey likes the traditional shifts, not CVT shifts...heh heh
Old 07-28-12, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
yeah, so it is pretty powerful V6... and that is fine... problem is that CVTs are used in small cars as well and then it kind of sucks with the feel and sound.
Old 07-28-12, 03:35 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah, so it is pretty powerful V6... and that is fine... problem is that CVTs are used in small cars as well and then it kind of sucks with the feel and sound.
Small cars are not that great in general, the only plus side is they should get decent gas mileage, the lack of power should be obvious, I hear tons of people ***** about their small car, I have never *****ed about my 09Maxima, I also own an FX50S, the CVT is so similar to the 7speed in normal driving, so many newer cars you can't even feel the trans shift, that the whole I want to feel it shift argument is becoming pointless.

I also realized most people have no idea what they are driving, they know how Drive and Reverse works along with the radio and AC/heat
Old 07-28-12, 05:21 PM
Lexus 1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does the longevity of CVT's compare with conventional automatics? Do the belts ever need replacement?
Old 07-28-12, 08:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus 1
How does the longevity of CVT's compare with conventional automatics? Do the belts ever need replacement?
Convention transmissions only last 90-120k on the original factory fluid, depends how hard you drive, I have seen several GS, M and 5 having the transmissions replaced because the fluid was never changed but the cars all had pre-owned warranties on them, that covered the 8000 repair bill

CVT should last no problem, the only exception is the 1st generation Murano, but Nissan made due to those owners and has since up the CVT warranty to 10 years 120k on all CVT equipped cars to model year 2010.

Other makes no idea, Audi has CVT but I have never heard of any issues, Mini has some CVT issues

Quick Reply: Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) and people's opinions on them