Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM: Still $42 BILLION in the hole

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 04:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
You need a good coach to win.
Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
I guess if you are this deep into a hole you might as well go out with a bang.
oh the fun of seeing these two quotes one after another.
Old 08-01-12, 06:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

We can argue all night (and I suspect we will) about the exact nature of the bailout money, who and where it came from, and how much of it is actually paid back. But there is little, if any denying the fruits of what that money has bought and actually acheived. Look no further than Sonic, Malibu, CTS, Silverado, Corvette, and, of course, Verano....with the promise of more to come with each new or redesigned GM vehicle.
Old 08-01-12, 07:06 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

I don't see how it matters what General Motors might have achieved. They could not compete in the marketplace so they had billions thrown their way, I have absolutely no reason to believe they are a viable company going forward. Yes they are making better cars, but so is everyone else that is the nature of the industry. I would feel differently if GM actually had a plan to pay back the money, but they don't, the taxpayer will likely never be compensated.

The idea of a government owning and funding General Motors to me is completely insane, and what boggles my mind is the government expects to recoup their costs from the stock market, which really ends up being money from American's pockets. The sticker price of a GM vehicle is a lie, it would be much higher if they did not have the government cash infusion because that would be the only way they would be able to try and pay back the debt.
Old 08-02-12, 04:09 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
I don't see how it matters what General Motors might have achieved. They could not compete in the marketplace so they had billions thrown their way, I have absolutely no reason to believe they are a viable company going forward. Yes they are making better cars, but so is everyone else that is the nature of the industry. I would feel differently if GM actually had a plan to pay back the money, but they don't, the taxpayer will likely never be compensated.
You believe that GM failed because they couldn't compete in the marketplace? That may be true but GM's failure, for whatever reason, came about because of inferior management, plain and simple.

Last edited by IS350jet; 08-02-12 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-02-12, 11:41 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,696 Likes on 2,282 Posts

Competing is not just about the product. If that were true, then anyone could come up with a great product and the rest would happen by itself. GM failed on multiple counts, mediocre product, inefficient operations, terrible management.