Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Is Mid-level luxury sedans really a tough segment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-12, 11:47 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is Mid-level luxury sedans really a tough segment?

Yesterday while servicing my iPhone at Americana Manhasset which is like the Rodeo Drive of Long Island , NY I could not help but notice the large amounts of Mercedes-Benz E-Classes and BMW 5-Series , with everything else in it's competition including the new GS and Audi A6 slim to none. Is it people don't really pay attention to anything other than those two really or people in the market rather say the Lexus ES 350 is more than enough for me because I saw plenty of those as well. Or would they say I rather get an RX 350 or Audi Q5 instead because I saw many of those as well. It makes me wonder is this crowd a real tough for these luxury car makers. Seeing for example the Acura RL and Infiniti M-Lineup aren't fast movers as well or buyers end up usually buying the SUV that is in the same price range if not a little more or less. Just my observation yesterday.
Old 07-26-12, 12:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

mid-size luxury sedan is a big group, good size while priced accordingly. 5 and e are kings in this group because of their history and heritage. that's just how it is, people are getting these cars no matter what anyway (whether they are actually good or not). look at the sales numbers and they are insane, way ahead of any other competitors.

personally i really don't consider es a competitor in this segment, it's common because of the price and it's one step below. same with rl and m. gs and a6 are really the close competitor, but it's a big up hill fight
Old 07-26-12, 01:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

the gs isn't a big mover because lexus also has the es. but as we know the es is no 5/e class, but it IS a nice car, and less expensive.

so, for many who want a 'nice ride', there's a spectum like this...

Code:
price                          badge
sensitive                   sensitive
<------------------------------>
es                            5/e
               gs??
something like this.

plus, badge-sensitive crowd likes to upgrade pretty often, and bmw/mb get this and that's why they offer aggressive leases.
Old 07-26-12, 07:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
5 and e are kings in this group because of their history and heritage. that's just how it is, people are getting these cars no matter what anyway (whether they are actually good or not). look at the sales numbers and they are insane, way ahead of any other competitors.
I think a better case, Henry, for the 5 and E's popularity is simply their superb chassis engineering. Few cars combine ride, steering, handling, and noise-control better then they do. BMW and M-B do chassis engineering better than just about any other U.S.-market automaker.
Old 07-26-12, 08:54 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

MB and BMW have ridiculously good lease deals too.
Old 07-26-12, 10:32 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the Eclass and 5series on the roads in NY are leased by badge *****s who over pay and have cars that are about as well equipped with features as a 1996 Camry, but they get caught up in the badge and in the end all they say is I drive a BMW/MB.

The GS/ES and M and even the Genesis sedan are way more well equipped for the price you pay, much better buys and you don't feel like you got screwed 6 months into ownership
Old 07-26-12, 11:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think a better case, Henry, for the 5 and E's popularity is simply their superb chassis engineering. Few cars combine ride, steering, handling, and noise-control better then they do. BMW and M-B do chassis engineering better than just about any other U.S.-market automaker.
not really. the 4gs is a way better car to drive than say the 5 series. i don't think we need to go further
Old 07-26-12, 11:54 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX_330
MB and BMW have ridiculously good lease deals too.
Yup, so true. They've been advertising bottom basement lease deals for well over a year to brand *****s. I'd rather buy a reliable Lexus that has more features than a vinyl laden 328i, but that's just me...
Old 07-26-12, 11:59 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

^Resurrect the cressida and it shall decimate all!

but yeah i gotta say 5/E does so well due to badge's and enticing leases. Not knocking the product, I see them alot, and drive em and they are nice. Me personally I like the A6 and Infiniti G better.
Old 07-26-12, 11:59 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

I can guarantee you the majority of those who get into a 5 or E care much at all about a stout chassis. In that class, it's all about prestige, heritage, styling, and pricing. The 5 and E have had it covered for a long time. The others fill in the cracks with their various attributes and exclusivities.
Old 07-27-12, 03:40 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

not really. the 4gs is a way better car to drive than say the 5 series. i don't think we need to go further
really? I was just reading British car mags and apparently it has no feel and poor suspension compared to the best from the Germany.
Old 07-27-12, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I can guarantee you the majority of those who get into a 5 or E care much at all about a stout chassis. In that class, it's all about prestige, heritage, styling, and pricing. The 5 and E have had it covered for a long time. The others fill in the cracks with their various attributes and exclusivities.
So true!
My friends,relatives and urologist who have a 5 Series or E Class and have little or no interest in the new GS.Same goes for the LS vs S Class.
Old 07-27-12, 06:20 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I was just going to say that ... and I agree it's mainly the heritage and the aggressive lease deals, and people's buying habits will not change drastically overnight once one or two brands have firmly established themselves in the market place no matter what ...
Old 07-27-12, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
really? I was just reading British car mags and apparently it has no feel and poor suspension compared to the best from the Germany.
lmao, you still read into reviews these days?

i try to give credits where it's due. 4gs drives far better than e and 5 (apple to apple, not 550i), but e and 5 will sell no matter what (as mike said)

reviewers....
Old 07-27-12, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
I was just going to say that ... and I agree it's mainly the heritage and the aggressive lease deals, and people's buying habits will not change drastically overnight once one or two brands have firmly established themselves in the market place no matter what ...
yup, it's way too tough given the difference in history. that's why all along i have just asked for more consistency in lexus sales numbers. if they can do that, i think it's HUGE already

Quick Reply: Is Mid-level luxury sedans really a tough segment?