Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 BMW X1

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 10:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow. As opposed to your irrational defense of them on a Lexus forum
sad. not defending, just find your hammering acura just to make you feel better about lexus a bit much.

and i was talking about one model, the rdx. while you seem to generalize about entire brands (lexus great, acura bad), i look at individual models, and most brands to me have good and bad designs. but just to be clear, i have no interest in owning an acura.

U like how acuras look. Opinion duly noted
there you go again.

acura designs in the past few years in general aren't home runs to me by any stretch (bland rl, goofy tl beak before refresh in particular), but then lexus has some questionable designs too (gx, hs, new gs, new lx). i think lexus has some really REALLY nice designs too (is, ls, new es, rx, lfa). regardless i've only said a billion times that acura and lexus don't really compete with one another anyway.

anyway, back to x1 - if you think that looks good ... more power to you.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-24-12 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 03:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that x1 is not a good looker.
and looks are the best part of it :-).

it has considerably less space than 3 series, it is built worse, using worse materials... then people say it handles well - no it does not, handles a lot worse than 3 series.... I can see why people buy X5 and RX and ML, but there is really no reason to buy X1 other than "image".
Old 07-24-12, 05:59 AM
LexFather

Thumbs up

sad. not defending, just find your hammering just to make you feel better about lexus a bit much.

and i was talking about one model, the rdx. while you seem to generalize about entire brands (lexus great, acura bad), i look at individual models, and most brands to me have good and bad designs. but just to be clear, i have no interest in owning an acura.

there you go again.

acura designs in the past few years in general aren't home runs to me by any stretch (bland rl, goofy tl beak before refresh in particular), but then lexus has some questionable designs too (gx, hs, new gs, new lx). i think lexus has some really REALLY nice designs too (is, ls, new es, rx, lfa). regardless i've only said a billion times that acura and lexus don't really compete with one another anyway.

anyway, back to x1 - if you think that looks good ... more power to you.
I don't care for either. It's great to see you bash me in another thread b/c I dont share the same
Opinion as your beloved Acura. It's saved for all to see.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-12, 07:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
and looks are the best part of it :-).

it has considerably less space than 3 series, it is built worse, using worse materials... then people say it handles well - no it does not, handles a lot worse than 3 series.... I can see why people buy X5 and RX and ML, but there is really no reason to buy X1 other than "image".
kinda crazy if it sells well then! but as you say, many buy for the image.
Old 07-24-12, 07:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
As usual, you over exaggerate your comments on anything that isn't Toyco/Lexus.
fortunately no one hates cars as much as your irrational hatred of acura.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow. As opposed to your irrational defense of them on a Lexus forum
Guys, all good examples of commenting on the people in the thread and not the vehicle being discussed.

Take the personal commentary to PM and off of Club Lexus. Let's keep this thread on topic please.
Old 07-24-12, 07:37 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X1, X3, and X5 looks very very similar to me!

My wife loves the X series BMW's. I just got her a 2012 CRV but I think she wants a X3 as her next vehicle. The 2.0 turbo that BMW developed seems to be doing well on every review I read online. I do not know why the hate on here is about an X1. Seems like a cool little SUV that gets very good MPG.
Old 07-24-12, 07:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

kinda crazy if it sells well then! but as you say, many buy for the image.
it is cheap entry into a. BMW b. SUV, so thats why it sells reasonably. I tested both 3 series and X1 at the same time, and while I could sit at the back properly in 3 series, my knees were hitting driver's elbow in X1, and you also sit in weird position with knees up. Rear end is jumpy over the pot holes due to stiffer suspension but obviously due to high roof, it doesnt handle as well as 3 series.

$50k version has a lot nicer materials, but base is horrible. And they sell base the most because it is mid-level Rav4 price here in Europe, so people want to get cheap BMW. Heck, I wanted to get it before I tried it out.

So even if you are big BMW fan, buying this makes no sense as it has no additional utility over 3 series, which is a lot more usable car.

Of course, it is not as if you dont have to slam the doors of both X1 and 3 series, I have no idea whats up with that... Finally I read in the Autocar long term review update, how the person driving it had to slam the door at least 2-3 times before it closing properly, and thats probably first Euro publication that said that so I wonder if test cars were special or something because I tried it on 5-6 different 3 series in the showroom and during test drive and it was pretty silly. It would really bug me to buy any car, let alone a premium car and that you couldnt close any of the doors properly unless you literally slam them.

It seems like i am obsessing about the doors but it was pretty annoying, this isnt 70's anymore.
Old 07-24-12, 09:42 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for the XO. I want the cheapest bmw b/c in the end, it's still a bmw.

it is cheap entry into a. BMW b. SUV, so thats why it sells reasonably. I tested both 3 series and X1 at the same time, and while I could sit at the back properly in 3 series, my knees were hitting driver's elbow in X1, and you also sit in weird position with knees up.

So even if you are big BMW fan, buying this makes no sense as it has no additional utility over 3 series, which is a lot more usable car.
I thought bmw fans buy, wait..... "get" a bmw no matter what b/c it's a "bmw"
Generally, they don't care if it makes sense.
Old 07-24-12, 09:51 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I don't know about you guys, but I'm waiting for the XO. I want the cheapest bmw b/c in the end, it's still a bmw.

I thought bmw fans buy, wait..... "get" a bmw no matter what b/c it's a "bmw"
Generally, they don't care if it makes sense.
Like people who buy Coach bags, regardless of how ugly and expensive they are. Same goes for Tommy Hilfiger clothing. They buy for the STATUS SYMBOL.
Old 07-24-12, 01:07 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Have you been in an X1?

He's right....it's a pos that lacks luxury and refinement. Can't imagine ever driving one unless they stick me in one as a loaner....and I'm on my 3rd Bimmer in a row now.
Did you even read my original statement? Did i ever argue that the X1 was luxurious or opulent (two words that i would never describe ANY Bimmer for that matter)? I said that people who usually buy Bimmers in the US are after its sportiness and/or the brand image. I am considering the X1, not because its interior is world class, but rather because the N20 engine with its class leading power and mpg....
Old 07-24-12, 02:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Did you even read my original statement? Did i ever argue that the X1 was luxurious or opulent (two words that i would never describe ANY Bimmer for that matter)? I said that people who usually buy Bimmers in the US are after its sportiness and/or the brand image. I am considering the X1, not because its interior is world class, but rather because the N20 engine with its class leading power and mpg....
try it and tell us how you like it, ok? Because I wanted X1 xDrive18d or 20d.
Old 07-24-12, 02:27 PM
ST430
Pole Position

try it and tell us how you like it, ok? Because I wanted X1 xDrive18d or 20d.
The reviews seemg to be raving about the engine and its sportiness (but no so much anything about the interior). Anyhow, even if i got it, it would probably under the usual cheap Bimmer lease, so no worries about it long term. Realistically, we were going to trade in the LS and the RAV4 and just get a new RX, but I'm not really feeling the spindle grill refresh. This might placate us for now....
Old 07-24-12, 02:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

nice little SUV. Spoiled teens in Beverly hills rejoice!!!
Old 07-24-12, 02:31 PM
ST430
Pole Position

BTW > Some of the snapshots of the interior doesn't show it to be the "horrible POS" people are saying. It's just he usual spartan no nonsense Teutonic Bimmer thing or am I missing something?

Old 07-24-12, 03:20 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

The reviews seemg to be raving about the engine and its sportiness (but no so much anything about the interior). Anyhow, even if i got it, it would probably under the usual cheap Bimmer lease, so no worries about it long term. Realistically, we were going to trade in the LS and the RAV4 and just get a new RX, but I'm not really feeling the spindle grill refresh. This might placate us for now....
sportiness compared to what? 3 series handles a lot better, and has a lot more space.

RX is completely different car, it is almost 2 sizes bigger.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 BMW X1