Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2013 BMW X1

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 05:23 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
we get same cars as German market, so I would guess not... Whats the real BMW? Doors that you dont have to slam with all you got in order for them to close? Interior materials of higher quality? Less noisy?

Generally X1 is not a particularly good car... All of the major german car mags rate Tiguan better than X1, and they all say that it is "Not a real BMW" due to quality not good enough for premium brand.

As to the engine -- 18d is a diesel engine, so N47D20.

i dont think americans will like X1 because it has substantially less space in the back and generally you sit pretty poorly with knees up. But the price is good. In fact, i considered getting X1 myself.
sorry to break it for you, but none of the feature you pointed out make BMW a BMW. they are never known for their interior quality, build quality or comfort. they are known for their handling, engine notes and that's about it. your comment lead me to think the BMW you had might not be a BMW at all.
Old 07-20-12, 05:36 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, the X1 is super tiny!
Old 07-21-12, 02:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by seanlee
sorry to break it for you, but none of the feature you pointed out make BMW a BMW. they are never known for their interior quality, build quality or comfort. they are known for their handling, engine notes and that's about it. your comment lead me to think the BMW you had might not be a BMW at all.
Maybe my E36 was known for that... today people buy BMW because they are premium brand - just look at 5 series.

And once you are inside and you find a lot of interior that is inferior than 20k cars, then you will be very disappointed. Or maybe you wont, if only importance to you is the badge up front, then you will be happy you are driving cheap pos :-).
Old 07-21-12, 11:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Audi has, so far, refused to bring any SUVs smaller than the Q5 into the American market, but perhaps, if the X1 proves successful, may change their mind.

From what I understand (and have read), BMW would have brought over the X1 sooner, but production/supply-capacity prevented it. They couldn't supply all of their projected-markets at once.
Old 07-21-12, 12:12 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Audi has, so far, refused to bring any SUVs smaller than the Q5 into the American market, but perhaps, if the X1 proves successful, may change their mind.

From what I understand (and have read), BMW would have brought over the X1 sooner, but production/supply-capacity prevented it. They couldn't supply all of their projected-markets at once.
maybe they also waited on facelift as they offered €7.5k discount to me only 2 months ago, which never happens with 3 series no matter new or old.
Old 07-21-12, 03:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Maybe my E36 was known for that... today people buy BMW because they are premium brand - just look at 5 series.

And once you are inside and you find a lot of interior that is inferior than 20k cars, then you will be very disappointed. Or maybe you wont, if only importance to you is the badge up front, then you will be happy you are driving cheap pos :-).
As usual, you over exaggerate your comments on anything that isn't Toyco/Lexus. The problem with your statements is reflects Euro perspectives on Bimmers, not US. We get different engines, tuning, and pricing. Here, it's about the sporty image, brand cache, handling, etc. and has never been about its features, interiors, doors, or reliabilty. There's a reason why it depreciates so quickly after a few years and why more than 50% of people lease them. Trying continually compare Euro standards to US is like other have tried to say about Toyco selling in China and linking it to US sales: it's just not applicable when it's different markets and essentially different products.
Old 07-21-12, 03:58 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ST430
As usual, you over exaggerate your comments on anything that isn't Toyco/Lexus. The problem with your statements is reflects Euro perspectives on Bimmers, not US. We get different engines, tuning, and pricing. Here, it's about the sporty image, brand cache, handling, etc. and has never been about its features, interiors, doors, or reliabilty. There's a reason why it depreciates so quickly after a few years and why more than 50% of people lease them. Trying continually compare Euro standards to US is like other have tried to say about Toyco selling in China and linking it to US sales: it's just not applicable when it's different markets and essentially different products.
Have you been in an X1?

He's right....it's a pos that lacks luxury and refinement. Can't imagine ever driving one unless they stick me in one as a loaner....and I'm on my 3rd Bimmer in a row now.
Old 07-21-12, 08:10 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Have you been in an X1?

He's right....it's a pos that lacks luxury and refinement. Can't imagine ever driving one unless they stick me in one as a loaner....and I'm on my 3rd Bimmer in a row now.
CDNRockies in 2012!!'

Old 07-21-12, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,642 Posts

seems like the overhauled acura rdx would be a much better buy than this x1.
Old 07-21-12, 10:25 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
seems like the overhauled acura rdx would be a much better buy than this x1.
If you hate cars and don't know anything about them. The rdless is all new and brings not
One new feature to the table. It's decontented and strictly for Honda fans. A loaded Kia/Hyundai suv is far superior.

Old 07-21-12, 11:03 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you hate cars and don't know anything about them. The rdless is all new and brings not One new feature to the table. It's decontented and strictly for Honda fans. A loaded Kia/Hyundai suv is far superior.
fortunately no one hates cars as much as your irrational hatred of acura.
Old 07-23-12, 02:48 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
I think you need to look at the X1 more in depth because you're either confusing it with another vehicle or you're not aware of it's actual specs:

BMW X1

Length - 175 inches (4454 mm)
Height - 60.8 inches (1545 mm)
Width - 70.8 inches (1798 mm)
Wheelbase - 108.6 inches (2760 mm)
Cargo capacity - 420 liters

Mini Countryman

Length - 161.3 inches (4097 mm)
Height - 61.5 inches (1561 mm)
Width - 70.4 inches (1789 mm)
Wheelbase - 102.2 inches (2595 mm)
Cargo capacity - 350 liters

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423908
No, I was comparing it to the correct model. Even the link you posted starts off by mentioning that the x1 and countryman are similar in size in many areas (x1 just being longer which provides more cargo room, however passenger room is similar).

I havent sat in a x1, but I have been in a countryman and that car is tiny.

It might also be worth noting that the next gen x1 and countryman will share the same platform.

Last edited by Ap1_Alan; 07-23-12 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-23-12, 07:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

that x1 is not a good looker.
Old 07-23-12, 08:45 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go sit in one....you'll not even want to get to a test drive.
Old 07-23-12, 09:51 PM
LexFather

fortunately no one hates cars as much as your irrational hatred of acura.
Wow. As opposed to your irrational defense of them on a Lexus forum
U like how acuras look. Opinion duly noted

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2013 BMW X1