Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-14, 09:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In today's paper a big Hyundai dealership near me had the following price on a 2015 Equus. Not the K900 but you get the idea they aren't selling too well right now.
The Equus really hasn't sold well in the American market since it was introduced....certainly not in the numbers of the LS460 it was aimed at. I can't judge initial K900 sales nationwide, since only certain Kia shops even get them in the first place. But, in this D.C./suburbs area (and this is a very high-income area where people can afford expensive cars), K900s seem, initially, to be selling as fast as they come in.....perhaps due to initial new-car hype.
Old 10-19-14, 09:39 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
KBB is reporting significant discounts on both the K900 and Equus which might make them appealing to the right buyers.

In today's paper a big Hyundai dealership near me had the following price on a 2015 Equus. Not the K900 but you get the idea they aren't selling too well right now.

MSRP $62.2k/$12.2k off of sticker (nearly 20%)/$49.9k advertised price.
$12K off the sticker is certainly not a good thing for resale, that's for sure.
Old 10-19-14, 09:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

BusinessWeek article on K900 slow sales: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...t-find-its-way
Old 10-19-14, 09:52 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
BusinessWeek article on K900 slow sales: http://www.businessweek.com/articles...t-find-its-way
Nothing really wrong with the car. Its the brand image, would you really want to pay $60K for a KIA?
Old 10-19-14, 10:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Nothing really wrong with the car. Its the brand image, would you really want to pay $60K for a KIA?
Yep- but I'd also say that given the mediocre reviews on this car it's not a very compelling purchase in the first place. The rolling couch market isn't that big.
Old 10-19-14, 10:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The rolling couch market isn't that big.
I don't entirely agree. It may be higher than one thinks, considering that Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick (and of course, the now-discontinued Mercury and Oldsmobile) have all dropped out of the traditional large soft-riding luxury-car market. (We'll have to see what Cadillac's new upcoming RWD flagship in the future is like to replace the disappoining XTS). All of those AARP rolling-couch fans (and, of course, some not-so-old ones as well) simply don't have much else to go to for a rolling-couch experience. The S550 is prohibitively expensive. The LS460 is somewhat cheaper (and more reliable), but also still out of the reach of many. The K900 and Equus (and some versions of the new Genesis) are credible alternatives, at a lower price, if people while just go look at them. But, as some posters have noted, some people either can't get past the Hyundai/Kia name or otherwise won't even go and look at them. Unfortunately, that's what killed the VW Phaeton.......a enormous bargain, in its W12 version, compared to big Mercedes S600 and BMW 760i and their V-12s.
Old 10-19-14, 10:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Equus really hasn't sold well in the American market since it was introduced....certainly not in the numbers of the LS460 it was aimed at. I can't judge initial K900 sales nationwide, since only certain Kia shops even get them in the first place. But, in this D.C./suburbs area (and this is a very high-income area where people can afford expensive cars), K900s seem, initially, to be selling as fast as they come in.....perhaps due to initial new-car hype.
According to the September sales results, the Equus is outselling the K900 by a 2 to 1 margin. Both very small numbers.

In Sept 56 K900's were sold nationwide, so if 10% of total U.S, sales were in the DC area (unlikely) that's only 5 or 6 cars. Maybe sales will pick up though. Even if they pick up to Equus levels it's not a lot of cars.

Last edited by LexBob2; 10-19-14 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-19-14, 12:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Yep- but I'd also say that given the mediocre reviews on this car it's not a very compelling purchase in the first place. The rolling couch market isn't that big.
The rolling couch is done, you are right. But seriously, $60k for a KIA?
Old 10-19-14, 01:07 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

The rolling couch is done, you are right. But seriously, $60k for a KIA?
Like Mike Marshall, I think there is still a substantial market for big soft riding cars. There are many thousands of us old folks with plenty of disposable income, but few cars that fit our desires. My LS430 was much better riding than my LS460. My next car may very well be an Eqqus or K900. As to the question about $60K for a KIA, it is a much nicer car than an XTS at $70K.
Steve

Last edited by oldcajun; 10-19-14 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 01:20 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My dealer only sold 2 K900s since we got them. Kia definitely flopped.
Old 10-19-14, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oldcajun
Like Mike Marshall, I think there is still a substantial market for big soft riding cars. There are many thousands of us old folks with plenty of disposable income, but few cars that fit our desires. My LS430 was much better riding than my LS460. My nest car may very well be an Eqqus or K900. As to the question about $60K for a KIA, it is a much nicer car than an XTS at $70K.
Steve
There is no market for big cushy cars like a TC or Fleetwood. The Car & Driver I just read compared the K900 to Cadillacs of the past, but I must remind you that the car is simply not selling and it has at $12K incentive, so much for the idea that there is a market for old geezer cars.
Old 10-19-14, 03:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

The rolling couch is done, you are right.
First tell that to all the non-sport-package LS460. Second, tell that to all the non-AMG Mercedes S-class owners. Although the true rolling couch of several decades past (Cadillac Fleetwood, Buick Roadmaster, etc....) probably is over, the K900 is not that type of true rolling couch. It simply is less sport-oriented than some of its German competitors.

The Car & Driver I just read compared the K900 to Cadillacs of the past
Depends on how MUCH past. The relatively recent past, yes, but it is not a gargantuan like the Fleetwood. Also, remember that C&D, like most enthusiast-publications (and yes, I read them, too), tends to be more sport-oriented than the average car buyer.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-19-14 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-19-14, 06:32 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin2JZ
My dealer only sold 2 K900s since we got them. Kia definitely flopped.
there's gotta be more than that in south florida.

I saw some pictures on the internet of k900 with custom wheels
Old 10-19-14, 07:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Edmunds has a test K900 they are going to do a long-term evaluation on:

http://www.edmunds.com/kia/k900/2015...roduction.html

2015 Kia K900 Long-Term Road Test: Introduction

August 19, 2014

What Did We Get?
$66,400. That's the sticker price for our new long-term 2015 Kia K900. It's a big number for any car, let alone a brand that's known by most for its sub-$20K Soul hatchback.

If you've been following Kia and its sister brand Hyundai over the last few years, you may already know that Hyundai already sells the similarly priced Equus luxury sedan. Like the Equus, the K900 aims to challenge the segment leaders by offering high-end creature comforts for a lot less scratch.

It's about more than just a long list of features, too. The K900 is big, like Lexus LS 460 L big, and it has plenty of power thanks to a standard 5.0-liter V8 that sends 420 horsepower to the rear wheels through an eight-speed transmission.

When it comes to features, the K900 definitely delivers. The base level trim includes a panoramic sunroof, front and rear parking sensors, three-zone climate control, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a power rear sunshade with manual rear window sunshades, and heated steering in its $60,400 base price. These are options on most other luxury cars.

What Options Does It Have?
The K900 is very much a "what you see is what you get" affair. There's no extensive, Porsche-like options list with paint-matched keys or leather-wrapped air vents. Aside from the color of the interior and exterior — lots of silver, gray and black — there's only one box to tick, and it's marked "VIP package." At $6,000, the VIP package increases the K900's price by 10 percent, but you get a lot for the money.

The package adds a smattering of extras that keep the Kia competitive with its far more expensive and tech-laden rivals. A 360-degree overhead-view camera system, adaptive cruise control, power soft-close door latches, 16-way seats and a head-up display are all included. The niceties are not just limited to the front seats. After all, large luxury sedans are less about driving and more about being driven in. Occupants in the back get adjustable headrests, lumbar support and ventilated and reclining seats.

Our tester is decked out in Bright Silver paint against a black leather interior. Loaded with the VIP package, our car retails for $66,400.

Why We Got It
This is Kia's statement car. It's big, expensive and designed to compete with the best luxury sedans in the world. There's no heritage to lean on and the length of its warranty isn't going to help it much. Buyers in this category expect excellence in every aspect of the ownership experience.

During our year-long test we'll not only test its extensive list of features, we'll report on the service experience that comes along with our nearly $67,000 sedan. Has Kia sufficiently upped its game to satisfy customers who are used to being pampered? Or is that one aspect of the K900 that you simply don't get for the price?

We will be looking for answers to these questions and many others over the next 20,000 miles. Follow our Long-Term Road Test Updates page as we cruise in comfort for 12 months and 20,000 miles.

Best MPG: 19.5
Worst MPG: 12.6
Average MPG over 401.8 miles: 15.7
Old 10-19-14, 10:17 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pman6
there's gotta be more than that in south florida.

I saw some pictures on the internet of k900 with custom wheels
Maybe one from another Kia dealer but yeah all the K900s in inventory here are just collecting dust.

Quick Reply: Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan