Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-14, 09:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yes, Kia and Hyundai need another name for their luxury brand. However, Toyota had it more easy. The germans were weak in the 90s. They were building unreliable cars and selling them at high prices. They were inferior products to the LS. Lexus would not be successful if they were created today, and Kia and Hyundai sure woulnt be either.

The germans are stronger than ever and even Lexus is falling down. The germans have the panache and the brand history/prestige nailed down, and now they are whipping out great products too.
Old 03-08-14, 09:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yes, Kia and Hyundai need another name for their luxury brand. However, Toyota had it more easy. The germans were weak in the 90s. They were building unreliable cars and selling them at high prices. They were inferior products to the LS. Lexus would not be successful if they were created today, and Kia and Hyundai sure woulnt be either.
so k/h needs a new luxury brand but they wouldn't be successful today if they did? if latter is true, why bother?

your points about lexus' timing are right on though - toyota saw huge weakness and jumped on it with all barrels blazing and mowed down the competition (excuse violent analogy - marketing ain't for the faint hearted ). for a while at least, until they picked themselves up, and went to work on upping their game.

The germans are stronger than ever and even Lexus is falling down.
falling down? maybe a bit strong... lexus has a broader product line than ever, sales are better than ever, and they have some good stuff coming. but yes, while they have 'progressed', their competitors have gone nuts coming out with tons of new models, sales and marketing programs, etc.

if i were an exec at toyota the FIRST thing i'd do is fire whoever is in charge of lexus u.s. marketing - they're clueless. the marketing (since the genius brand launch campaigns) has been inconsistent, weak, spotty, cheesy, you name it. and the dealer ads don't help. i don't see mb dealers running ads saying "come in this weekend for a C class for $299 a month please!!!" but i guess the lexus dealers run ads because there's little to no corporate ads running. in that sense, lexus u.s. at least has failed miserably in recent years. but the product line overall is stronger.
Old 03-12-14, 03:03 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so k/h needs a new luxury brand but they wouldn't be successful today if they did? if latter is true, why bother?

your points about lexus' timing are right on though - toyota saw huge weakness and jumped on it with all barrels blazing and mowed down the competition (excuse violent analogy - marketing ain't for the faint hearted ). for a while at least, until they picked themselves up, and went to work on upping their game.

falling down? maybe a bit strong... lexus has a broader product line than ever, sales are better than ever, and they have some good stuff coming. but yes, while they have 'progressed', their competitors have gone nuts coming out with tons of new models, sales and marketing programs, etc.

if i were an exec at toyota the FIRST thing i'd do is fire whoever is in charge of lexus u.s. marketing - they're clueless. the marketing (since the genius brand launch campaigns) has been inconsistent, weak, spotty, cheesy, you name it. and the dealer ads don't help. i don't see mb dealers running ads saying "come in this weekend for a C class for $299 a month please!!!" but i guess the lexus dealers run ads because there's little to no corporate ads running. in that sense, lexus u.s. at least has failed miserably in recent years. but the product line overall is stronger.
This is what I thought to. In 1989 their marketing tricks were a work of genus. The voice over was also classier. The voice over they use now sounds gimmicky
Old 10-17-14, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default LeBron James to rep Kia K900

LEBRON JAMES SHINES THE SPOTLIGHT ON KIA'S FLAGSHIP SEDAN AS THE BRAND'S FIRST-EVER LUXURY AMBASSADOR

Multi-Year Partnership Forged After James Experienced the Advanced Technology, V8 Power and World-Class Craftsmanship and Materials of the Kia K900 for Himself

• As the K900 Luxury Ambassador, James will star in advertisements for the modern and elegant sedan and make exclusive appearances
• First TV spot in Fit For A King™ campaign to debut later this month when the 2014-15 basketball season gets underway

IRVINE, Calif., October 15, 2014 – On the court, he is a ten-time NBA All-Star and the most popular athlete in the U.S.1; away from the arena he is a philanthropist, businessman and trendsetter; and today, LeBron James proudly includes a Kia K900 – the brand's first-ever rear-drive luxury sedan – among his fleet of exotic automobiles. In a multi-year partnership with Kia Motors America (KMA), James assumes the newly created role of K900 Luxury Ambassador after the avid car collector reached out to Kia – the Official Automotive Partner of the NBA – for a firsthand experience with the flagship sedan aimed at confident, independent thinkers who actively seek out new products and unique ideas from up-and-coming brands.

"I was a Kia K900 driver and fan before we decided to become partners, so I'm really excited to be Kia's first-ever luxury ambassador," said LeBron James. "This partnership is about the power of great style and performance. Kia and the K900 are out to challenge conventional wisdom and show people how to think differently, and I can relate to that. For me, a partnership has to be authentic and real to who I am, and that's what makes this one so special."

In August, James posted "Rolling around in my K900. Love this car!" online with photos of the sedan, which AMCI Testing2 recently certified as Quieter, Smoother, and Better Riding Overall than the Audi A8 4.0T, the BMW 750i and the Lexus LS460.

"As fans of the game of basketball, we were honored to learn that one of today's most influential athletes and tastemakers recognized something different was going on at Kia and wanted to check out our new flagship sedan," said Tim Chaney, vice president of marketing communications, KMA. "Like Kia, LeBron James does not want to be confined by conventions or traditional definitions, and as our K900 Luxury Ambassador his star power will cause people to question everything they think they know about our brand."

In his role, James joins Kia's roster of high-profile ambassadors, which includes fellow NBA All-Star Blake Griffin, tennis superstar Rafael Nadal, and U.S. Women's Open champion Michelle Wie.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/10/17/l...nd-ambassador/
Old 10-17-14, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I reviewed and test-drove a K-900 today....I'll have the written review finished and posted probably some time tomorrow. While it is not perfect (no car is), and not an aggressive driver's enthusiast machine.........let's just say that Le Bron is onto something. Stay tuned for deals.
Old 10-17-14, 07:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a good friend who has sworn by Lexus over the years and just got a K900 and loves it. Not a driver's car, but neither were the Lexuses she owned. The luxury factor is there.
Old 10-17-14, 07:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dseag2
I have a good friend who has sworn by Lexus over the years and just got a K900 and loves it. Not a driver's car, but neither were the Lexuses she owned. The luxury factor is there.
Definitely.

Congratulations to your friend, BTW....an excellent choice, though, because of current supply/demand, she might not have gotten the best deal right now. They are (generally) not selling at discounts.
Old 10-18-14, 07:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Definitely.

Congratulations to your friend, BTW....an excellent choice, though, because of current supply/demand, she might not have gotten the best deal right now. They are (generally) not selling at discounts.
K900 seels so poorly, they currently have 12 month supply sitting at the lots :-).
Of course that could change, but last month they sold 50 and they have over 600 at dealers.
Old 10-18-14, 09:01 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
K900 seels so poorly, they currently have 12 month supply sitting at the lots :-).
Of course that could change, but last month they sold 50 and they have over 600 at dealers.
The Equus is outselling it by a 2 to 1 margin. Still small numbers, but it seems like buyers have warmed up to the Hyundai entry more than the new K900. That could change with more time on the market for the Kia.
Old 10-18-14, 11:17 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Lebron's K900 vs Shaq's Lacrosse
Old 10-18-14, 12:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf

Not here in the D.C. area, they don't. I was darn lucky to find one I could test-drive. I explain that in more detail in my review.
Old 10-18-14, 11:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
Good for her, I would probably go for a Lexus sedan over any KIA. However, the Genesis is pretty sweet.
Old 10-19-14, 03:49 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good for her, I would probably go for a Lexus sedan over any KIA.
The LS460 still holds a small edge over the K900 in some areas, but not much.

However, the Genesis is pretty sweet.
Totally agree. The 5.0L version gives you several very nice things at once, though you have to stick with the 3.8 to get AWD.
Old 10-19-14, 06:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Good for her, I would probably go for a Lexus sedan over any KIA. However, the Genesis is pretty sweet.
with the K900 you could also pick up a lightly used ES350 as well for the price of an LS460L
Old 10-19-14, 08:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

KBB is reporting significant discounts on both the K900 and Equus which might make them appealing to the right buyers.

In today's paper a big Hyundai dealership near me had the following price on a 2015 Equus. Not the K900 but you get the idea they aren't selling too well right now.

MSRP $62.2k/$12.2k off of sticker (nearly 20%)/$49.9k advertised price.

Quick Reply: Kia K900 RWD flagship sedan