Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 IS-F convertible spotted at Nürburgring?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 10:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

This is great news. I am excited to see the final product.
Old 07-17-12, 11:20 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I wouldn't worry about how this test mule looks... it's just a shell.. the production car will probably not look anything like this and might not even be a convertible.
This is good to hear.

I've always loved the tail lights of the regular 2IS but NOT the taillights of the IS-C. The ISC tail lights aren't bad - they just aren't nearly as aggressive and sleek as the regular 2IS tail lights.

I hope the evolution of the 3IS tail light design follows the 2IS design closely (convertible included). Infiniti, Mercedes, BMW all managed to maintain the same tali lights on their convertible models as on their regular coupe models.
Old 07-18-12, 12:27 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

This is really neat. Glad to see Lexus following through with their commitment toward their goals
Old 07-18-12, 01:56 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I wouldn't worry about how this test mule looks... it's just a shell.. the production car will probably not look anything like this and might not even be a convertible.
+1 totally. Convertible throws everyone off.
Old 07-18-12, 06:47 AM
LexIS007
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
front grille is the same as in 2012 IS-F, BUT there are large tunneled air intakes, makes me wonder what are they hiding there...
Hopefully a pair of twin snails.... ;-)

If BMW goes forced-induction on the new M3 and Lexus doesn't on the IS-F, Lexus will be dead to me.
Old 07-18-12, 08:37 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LexIS007
Hopefully a pair of twin snails.... ;-)

If BMW goes forced-induction on the new M3 and Lexus doesn't on the IS-F, Lexus will be dead to me.
probably... i was told the other day that "there will be downsizing, nobody knows much about it, nobody knows any car with new engine, and it wont be turbos".... so it cant be anything else but SC.
Old 07-18-12, 09:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by spwolf
probably... i was told the other day that "there will be downsizing, nobody knows much about it, nobody knows any car with new engine, and it wont be turbos".... so it cant be anything else but SC.
I am very certain the next Gen MY2014 IS-F will remain N/A... Lexus is just not going to dabble with an S/C or Turbos..

Here is the latest Spy Video & information I found regarding the next gen M3 sedan (F80); possible MY2013

http://www.bmwblog.com/2012/05/01/sp...-bmw-m3-sedan/

~ Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-18-12 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 08:32 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Another Mule ???

Spied! Three Lexus IS Fs, Including Convertible, Join Toyota Supra on the ‘Ring

via

Spied! Three Lexus IS Fs, Including Convertible, Join Toyota Supra on the ‘Ring
Written by: Christian Seabaugh on July 19 2012 6:30 AM

Motor Trend staffers and a spy photographer caught yet another group of high-performance vehicles testing at the Nurburgring. Lexus was reportedly testing a trio of IS Fs circling the ‘Ring, including an IS F convertible, a race-prepped IS F with NACA ducts, and another IS F chasing a right-hand-drive Toyota Supra.

The big news here is the black Lexus IS F convertible, and not because it’s a drop-top. While we wouldn’t mind testing a hardtop convertible version of the IS F, given the age of the current-generation IS lineup, this could be a test mule for the next-generation IS. Though Lexus has offered an IS 350C F Sport edition model, we wouldn’t expect an IS C F model this late in the car’s lifecycle.

A Motor Trend staffer who was at the ‘ring tells us the blue Lexus IS F (shown below) “had something nasty under the hood,” and it “sounded very mean.” From the photos, this IS F looks to be race-prepped; it’s got NACA ducts on its hood, hood pins, and a full roll cage.

The red Lexus IS F looked to be stock, but was chasing a gorgeous blue right-hand drive Toyota Supra around the track. Why? We’re not quite sure. That said, the Supra is still arguably the best sports car Toyota has ever produced, so if Lexus is using it as a benchmark for any IS F model, we’d more than welcome it.

Enjoy,

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-19-12 at 08:36 AM.
Old 07-19-12, 09:06 PM
bagyo
Driver

Since it took them this long to make a serious contender in the performance segment………..Whatever performance models they make, it better blow the Europeans out of the water! FASTER and more refined, or else there’ll be a lot of criticism for sure. It can’t just be up to par(leaving room for haters to hate). It has to decimate the competition. PERIOD. One more thing, i said it before and im going to say it again, will it kill them to make a proper true manual transmission sports cars, at least as an option in limited numbers or by special order, it just makes that much more of a difference as far as driving pleasure goes.
Old 07-19-12, 09:12 PM
bagyo
Driver

BTW that ISF C's rear wing is freakin' hideous! It looks totally out of place. Hope they replace it with some kind of flushed lip wing or something tasteful. Looks like they when to home depot, threw a bunch of stuff in the cart and said this is goin to be the ISF C's wing.
Old 07-19-12, 09:48 PM
LexFather

Egads.. Are these publications going to write about every color car they see around the Ring?

Old 07-20-12, 03:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

its pretty cool that they test against supra, as usual.

interesting that one of the IS-F's, sounded "mean"...
Old 07-20-12, 05:29 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think they are just testing that black ISC F, and using the Supra and 2 other ISF models to compare data maybe...who knows
Old 07-20-12, 07:03 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Proof that Toyota should build another Supra! They're testing a 2014 MY car alongside architecture that debuted in 1993...21 years later and it's still a sports car benchmark and used for future product testing.

Building and engineering another Supra would do wonders for Toyota, just as the LFA did for Lexus. Learning how to build another Supra in the modern age would without a doubt, impact how they build cars for the next 21 years.
Old 07-20-12, 07:06 AM
LexFather

^^^ I dunno mahn we have NO idea why the Supra is there. Quite frankly it might just be for photo-opps and to throw people off. The Supra wasn't exactly known for being the best handling car in class back in the 1990s but it was the fastest with exotic performance.

To me, its just there for photos.

Quick Reply: 2014 IS-F convertible spotted at Nürburgring?