Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Independent back up cameras

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 06:06 PM
FireCode
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independent back up cameras

I just purchased a Sequoia for my wife (2004 model) and the only thing it really lacks that we want is a back up camera system like she had in her Murano. The Sequoia does not have a video display so we would need to get a separate TFT display which is fine. I'm looking to see if any of you guys have purchased and installed a good back up camera system... Any input?
Old 07-14-12, 06:12 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've also been browsing rearview cam options... I want one that comes with a rearview mirror with built in screen (Like the OEM setup in some cars).

Old 07-14-12, 11:16 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed one on the old van since the tints are so dark it is difficult to see, particularly after dark. The cheap wireless ones don't provide much information, as they get really noisy as the automatic gain is raised at night. They do install pretty easily, wiring the camera to your backup lights powers up the camera in reverse. You need to power your monitor similarly, and that can require a little fishing under the dash.

There are several similar camera systems that start at about $75 and run to about $125. All of these I've seen can do the job, they just don't do it very well. Better systems are available at around $250 - $400 that provide excellent coverage and clarity, probably better than the OEM units. They will require a bit more work for installation. Look for something designed for RV's. Those guys make nice camera systems, but they're generally too large for automotive use. However some of these same manufacturers do offer somewhat lesser models for cars.

It depends under what conditions you will use the back-up camera, and how good the picture needs to be. In daylight, any camera will do, but if you are going to depend on it after dark or in a poorly lit area, the cheap solution isn't the best. I'd vote for a monitor contained in the rear view mirror too, the dash mount gets a little difficult to see with that tiny screen . . . and they're kinda ugly.
Old 07-15-12, 09:31 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Yup, I have seen a couple of the wireless ones and they weren't any good.
Would you consider an aftermarket double din unit with rear view camera? Not sure what your budget is or if there is a kit available for your vechicle but I have had great experiences with a kenwood units, one even had night vision. But again depends on how much you want to spend and how "busy" you can torelate your dash.
Old 07-15-12, 11:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Would you consider an aftermarket double din unit with rear view camera?
+1

you can get a double din w/nav and backup cam for a pretty good price
here's a Pioneer for $283 with an input for back up cam http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-AVH-...ht_3186wt_1135

Flyaudio has some nice OEM clones or Pioneer or Kenwood would be cheap.

Last edited by bagwell; 07-15-12 at 12:15 PM.