Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The Death Of BMW’s M Brand

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 03:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default The Death Of BMW’s M Brand

Jalopnik just posted this interesting article

http://jalopnik.com/5924573/the-death-of-bmws-m-brand

The Death Of BMW’s M Brand
Bill Caswell

BMW's announcement today of the Lime Rock Edition M3 was the final nail in the coffin for me. The company that claims more 24-Hour wins at the Nürburgring than any other manufacturer just launched a track edition M3 that has no serious performance improvement over the current M3.

It's basically bolt-on Pep Boys parts like a flat bottom Knight Rider steering wheel and special paint. And I'm guessing there is a Lime Rock track map sticker somewhere or a plaque on the dash that tells you this is something special. But that's just it. This isn't something special. It's simply a marketing exercise. A fraud. Not unlike pumping a fake engine noise through the car stereo like BMW does with the M5.

It's for guys who want to be associated with racetracks but don't actually go to the track themselves. It's for the modern poser racer. A luxury version of those fast and furious Honda civics with race seats and belts but stock engines that kids drive around on the street.

I can't wait to meet the guy that buys these Lime Rock editions. He's the one that checks out of his hotel in the morning wearing his fire suit for his BMW CCA driver school session that doesn't start till 10 am because he wants the girl at the front desk to know that he is "racing" today. That guy.

The one that wears firesuits because he wants to be a racer even though he's in his street car that he takes to the train every day. That's who will buy this car.

So why is it so painful? The M brand used to mean something. Really mean something. To me and auto enthusiasts everywhere. I can't think of a performance division of a company with more creditability than BMW's motorsport brand back in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s.

The Death Of BMW's M BrandTo fully appreciate this you need a little history in BMW M brand. It was created to build homologation specials. Cars built for specific racing series in minimum quantity to meet the rules. It started with the M1 in 1978. Then came hand-build 5 series cars that at one point were the fastest sedans in the world – as delivered from the factory.

Next came the original M3, known to us car guys as the E30 M3. Built by BMW for one purpose. To win races. And it won so much its known as the most winning chassis in touring car history. This was BMW's M brand.

So what is it now? Besides the M3, we have am M1 (or 1 Series M Coupe so it's not to be confused with the real M1).

To be fair, this car is amazing. I love it. But BMW built 800 or so and called it a day. Did one go racing? Not that I know of. And then there are the M brand SUVs: an X6M and a X5M. Did either of these go racing? Sort of. BMW gave one to a journalist to compete in One Lap of America this year and it got beat by a Jeep Cherokee. A Jeep Cherokee took down the M Brand. (Ed. Note: Matt Farrah should be along soon to explain how the Jeep was modified and the X5 M was not.)

Now to be fair BMW ran the new M5 — yes the one with the fake engine noises — in One Lap and it won its "Luxury Sedan" class. So my point is that BMW no longer makes high performance automobiles known as the Ultimate Driving Machine. They now make luxury automobiles that are the ultimate motorsport poser mobile.

The Death Of BMW's M BrandThere is no car that says "I want to pretend I'm a performance driver, a racer, but never go to the track" more than the current M brand. It's a fraud leveraging the company's rich racing history and it pisses me off.

Let's took a look at that racing history that the brand was created for. When was the last time BMW won an F1 race? Le Mans? Any of the large sports car races other than Sebring? I'm ignoring Grand Am where BMW races against KIAs and Dinan builds engines for a prototype team. That doesn't count as a factory program. About the only race on the planet that Nürburgring which happened last in the ALMS M3 car in 2010.

Ever seen that ALMS car? Its nothing like the production car we buy. It has double wishbone front suspension. EVERY M3 ever sold has McPherson front struts. And we haven't even gotten to the weirdo rear transaxle deal with its built-in air conditioning pump. Huh, was that a factory option?

My point is that BMW used to build amazing street cars to meet the rules of racing and win. Now they choose races with loose rules and bring cars nothing like the one we buy and turn around and sell us models that have nothing to do with racing other than the sticker on the dash.

So back to today's Lime Rock Edition M3 that BMW just announced. How does this thing even get approved? I can picture the conversation in the marketing department now:

BMW Marketing Guy 1: Guys we really need to leverage our M brand.

Let's release an M3 with a race track associated with it. Yeah like that big one in Germany Nutterburgerringring or something. But I hear that place is expensive to rent, maybe we should use that track near headquarters here in the US, Lime Rock?

BMW Marketing Guy 2: Yeah!

BMW Marketing Guy 1: Don't we already sponsor that track? Sweet, lets make a lime rock edition.

BMW Marketing Guy 2: Whats that mean?

BMW Marketing Guy 1: I dont know but people will think its special.

BMW Marketing Guy 2: Really? Why?

BMW Marketing Guy 1: Well, because we'll paint it a special color and add all our interior add ons like the Knight Rider wheel with the flat bottom!

BMW Marketing Guy 2: But shouldn't it have a signfiicant increase in performance to have a racetrack badge on it?

BMW Marketing Guy 1: No, No, No, the car doesn't need to be faster or handle better because we named it after a racetrack! Just the opposite. Leave the engine the same and give it one of our handling packages that we already have. Like the competition package, that sounds like it should be on a track car.

BMW's Motorsport Brand has lost its soul, and will slowly fade into marketing mediocrity. A friend pointed out another company with a rich history in racing that abandoned it roots and went after the luxury auto market: Saab.

Obviously, BMW wont go bankrupt anytime soon, but what happens when all the luxury buyers that fell in love with performance brand in the 1980's stop driving cars? I don't have that answer but three years ago I asked a marketing executive at BMW this exact question after he told me BMW was supporting Golf and Yachting.

His response was along the line of 'I don't know, I won't be working here when that happens.'

Time will tell.
Old 07-09-12, 03:51 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Its a BMW so fanboys will still praise it. Lord forbid Lexus do this hah
Old 07-09-12, 04:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The purist can complain all they want, watering down the performance side and adding luxury and comfort will definitely sell much more cars.

The reality is, in the total population of people who can afford and willing to spend a lot of money on expensive cars, only a very small percentage of them truely want hardcore performance, most people just want a practical, quiet and comfortable car that is fast with decent handling.

Look how much more 911 Turbo Porsche sells compare to GT3 and GT3 RS? They are all the same price.

For me at least, now that the F10 M5 is soft and quiet, it made it on my future daily driver list. I am sure tons of people feels the same way as me.

Car companies main interest is profit, entertaining a very small group of hardcore enthusiast is not their main interest.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-09-12 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 04:58 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont get what this guy is crying about.

It's still an M3, is he saying the current M3 isn't up to his standards? The M3 is still the bench mark for cars in it's class.

They added some aero parts, titanium exhaust, competition package, some interior accessories, and gave it a special name. What's wrong with that? From the other article I found on it that listed a price ($70k), they aren't charging a ridiculous mark-up for these additions.
Old 07-09-12, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Not all of you may agree with me, but I've said for several years that, for a number of reasons which I've thoroughly discussed on previous threads/posts (and won't rehash here), I thought the 335i was a far better buy than the M3 as a general daily-driver on the street. The 335i is still more than I'd care to spend on a new car, but it 's a lot less than shelling out for a new M. As far as the M5-vs.-550i comparison goes, I can't directly comment on it, as I haven't sampled an M5 in recent years, but there's no doubt that the 550 and 550GT (which I have sampled, are very impressive, despite the 550GT's rather goofy-looking rear end.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-09-12 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 06:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not all of you may agree with me, but I've said for several years that, for a number of reasons which I've thoroughly discussed on previous threads/posts (and won't rehash here), I thought the 335i was a far better buy than the M3 as a general daily-driver on the street. The 335i is still more than I'd care to spend on a new car, but it 's a lot less than shelling out for a new M. As far as the M5-vs.-550i comparison goes, I can't directly comment on it, as I haven't sampled an M5 in recent years, but there's no doubt that the 550 and 550GT (which I have sampled, are very impressive, despite the 550GT's rather goofy-looking rear end.
My opinion is, on the 335i, you have to get the sport package to make it drive good, where a barebone M3 already drive very good. The price difference between a nicely equipped 335i to a M3 sedan is pretty small, probably only like $10k. But then the 335i is a better daily street car with tons more low end torque, where the M3 is a better weekend toy with the high revving V8.
Old 07-09-12, 06:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

I would say the death of bmw's m brand is greatly exaggerated.
Old 07-09-12, 06:37 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
My opinion is, on the 335i, you have to get the sport package to make it drive good, where a barebone M3 already drive very good. The price difference between a nicely equipped 335i to a M3 sedan is pretty small, probably only like $10k. But then the 335i is a better daily street car with tons more low end torque, where the M3 is a better weekend toy with the high revving V8.
dont forget that a tuned ECU in a 335i will dust an M3
Old 07-09-12, 06:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
Yes for pure speed and acceleration, modded 335i is wayyyyyyyyy faster then a M3.

For feels and sounds though, M3 is wayyy more exotic, no comparison.

Apply and orange, depends on preference.
Old 07-09-12, 07:04 PM
rocks
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Its a BMW so fanboys will still praise it. Lord forbid Lexus do this hah
Bullocks! we are not all blind, many have passed on, mostly to Audis and Porsche, a very small few might venture to Lexus since most BMW enthusiasts discredit Japanese cars (if it wasn't for their new vision I would not have signed up here). They still manage to sell a ton because of their name; so more and more newcomers keep flocking to the brand as we depart or stick with the older ones. Kinda like how Honda still manages to sell cars based on old heritage. It's all funny really, BMW and Lexus have switch places....never thought I'd lived to see that revelation.

Ps. Everything went downhill after the E46 M3 CSL and the GTR(V8 M3 race car)

Last edited by rocks; 07-09-12 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-09-12, 07:27 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Sorry Mike, I know that you keep repeating your thoughts on the 335 vs M3 as a daily driver, but all that means is that you clearly don't "get" the M3. If you're talking about "better daily driver" or "better buy" then you're in the wrong ballpark.

Exact same things could be said about the IS350 vs IS F.....or 911 S vs Turbo....etc....etc.

Your perception of better DD or value doesn't really apply when shopping performance cars.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
In a straight line only....and you're going to need some bolt ons in addition to an ECU upgrade to "dust" an M3. M3 will still own the 335....badly....on a track without investing large time and $$$....and then the price difference is negligible at best (if at all).
Old 07-09-12, 08:16 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

This guy is completely overacting.

BMW is trying to milk the current M3 in terms of sales with these special editions before releasing the new model. It's smart business.
Old 07-09-12, 08:30 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

I feel the same way about the Lexus "F-Sport". There is absolutely nothing "sporty" about the F-Sport other than some bolt on, RICE additions and a minor suspension/steering revision. You don't even get the F-Sport intake or exhaust with the F-Sport package, that's additional $$. WTF?!? The IS-F meant something. Now we get an ES F-Sport. Zzzzzzzz....
Old 07-09-12, 10:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
The purist can complain all they want, watering down the performance side and adding luxury and comfort will definitely sell much more cars.

The reality is, in the total population of people who can afford and willing to spend a lot of money on expensive cars, only a very small percentage of them truely want hardcore performance, most people just want a practical, quiet and comfortable car that is fast with decent handling.

Look how much more 911 Turbo Porsche sells compare to GT3 and GT3 RS? They are all the same price.

For me at least, now that the F10 M5 is soft and quiet, it made it on my future daily driver list. I am sure tons of people feels the same way as me.

Car companies main interest is profit, entertaining a very small group of hardcore enthusiast is not their main interest.
Exactly my thought! Carmakers are here to make products that sells, and BMW is building cars that their target buyers want. Nothing wrong about it. The new M5 for example, is on my list for the next car, which I never consider before. Why? Because it's fast and comfortable that I can live in it everyday.
Old 07-09-12, 11:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
I feel the same way about the Lexus "F-Sport". There is absolutely nothing "sporty" about the F-Sport other than some bolt on, RICE additions and a minor suspension/steering revision. You don't even get the F-Sport intake or exhaust with the F-Sport package, that's additional $$. WTF?!? The IS-F meant something. Now we get an ES F-Sport. Zzzzzzzz....
please tell me of these "RICE" additions on factory F-Sport models?

There is big difference between IS-F and IS F-Sport, just like between M and M-Sport and S and S-Line. But you do get real stuff and no rice.

Same goes for this limited edition - cry me a river, BMW shouldnt do LE with different colors, why? But sure, maybe M's are changed and not uncompromising as before... maybe they should do something crazier than M? But in today's world, you need to sell cars and cars are different than 40 years ago.

Quick Reply: The Death Of BMW’s M Brand