Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12, 05:17 AM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
That the photo shown is in fact the current model LS, not the up and coming new model.
I agree with you. May be next week we will have a photo with the old car transitioning to the new one. From what I hear, it is a major upgrade with lots of features that will be new to Lexus. We will all have to wait for Monday 30th. I am very excited like many, many others!
Old 07-20-12, 06:47 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Diemellz
nobody never notice the new S klasse body is the same shape as the last gen with updated front, rear and no flares?
Don't you DARE say that

Old 07-20-12, 10:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

nobody never notice the new S klasse body is the same shape as the last gen with updated front, rear and no flares?
different generations don't mean different "shape" necessary right? i look at this from a few angles

911, they all look so similar generations over generations. but they are all different and you don't have people calling it different generations.

then you look at 1ls and 2ls, the 2ls actually looks very different to the first gen shape wise. even lexus chief designer said they made the 2ls too similar to 1ls. but they are different, wheel base different, a lot of other difference on the car design as well, and no one call that "same generation"

on the s, yeah it looks the same, but i guess we have to wait for all the spec. i already mentioned on another forum too it looks similar to w221 in some way, unlike from w220 to w221. if it ends up based on the "same" car, you bet i would criticize it the same way.

of course, back on this new ls, we will see, again i could be wrong and i am ready for it. but all the inside source i have gotten information from, it's still the same car with mostly cosmetic changes. that, to me, is a bit different from a new car
Old 07-20-12, 10:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2013 Lexus LS F Sport Spotted?

It appears that a camouflaged next-generation Lexus LS F Sport has been spotted by Automobile Magazine spy photographers:

But why the LS F Sport? Look closely at this photo of the front end — there’s no sign of any grille slats, which would indicate the F Sport mesh surround.

Let’s zoom in a little closer:

And then there’s the wheels, which are similar to the current LS Sport rims:

This (alleged) LS F Sport was one of two cars spotted, the other looking like the standard LS sedan seen a couple weeks back:

A very crisp photo of the second LS’ grille was taken:

The fact that these two LS are out on public roads would suggest that an official reveal is not too far off — can’t wait to see what’s under all that camouflage.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/06/0...sport-spotted/
Old 07-20-12, 10:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Spied! 2014 Lexus LS Wears Spindle Grille, Evolutionary Styling

Lexus is working on an aggressive new-product roll-out right now. It already unveiled all-new generations of the GS and ES sedans and revised versions of the LX and RX SUVs. Next up? The LS flagship sedan, and our spy shooter caught a camo-wrapped one out testing.

Despite the heavy camouflage, we have a reasonably clear look at the shape and front fascia of the next LS. Lexus’ new spindle grille is quite prominent, and seems to dominate the LS’ front fascia. The grille is flanked on either side by what look to be LED headlights, not dissimilar to those available on the current LS 600hL. The headlights are pushed out to the edges of the car and look to have the brand’s trademark L-shaped LED running lights below them.

In fact, the front visage looks suspiciously close to a shady teaser shown by Lexus in a video describing its new spindle grille. If that image is, in fact, the new LS, we can expect to see a larger upper grille, a chrome outline to the spindle, and cheese-grater-esque metal detailing in the headlights.

The rest of the next Lexus LS looks to be taking a more evolutionary tack – from what we can see, both the profile and rear look to be slimmed-down versions of the current car’s design, though without losing any of the 2012 model’s mass. Don’t be surprised to see taillights and a greenhouse similar to those on the 2013 GS and ES sedans. The interior will probably be cleaned up as well, and to use the same oversized infotainment screen and mouse-like controller as the GS, ES, and RX.

According to our spy shooter, the new LS will ride on an overhauled version of the current car’s platform and maintain its V-8 powerplants. Currently, the LS uses a 4.6-liter V-8 rated at 380 hp and 367 lb-ft of torque mated to an eight-speed automatic. Expect to see the V-8 carry over, but a new hybrid model will eschew the LS 600hL’s attempt at V-12-like performance for a focus on efficiency and drumming up more sales than the current $113,635 car. (Base price listed includes destination.)

Expect to see the new LS revealed some time within the next six to 12 months and for it to go on sale for the 2014 model year. Until then, check out the spy shots below.
http://rumors.automobilemag.com/spie...#ixzz21BZKoi3K
Old 07-20-12, 11:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb 2013 LS460 - The Bold New Shape is the Spindle Grill

Originally Posted by Incredible
Not a teaser photo of the updated model.

It's the current model, they even used the same photo from their website:

Look closely.

Yeup keep looking... The side body lines are NOT going to be changing that much... As stated the 2 photos were overlayed..

"The Bold New Shape" is going to be the Spindle Grill..

Here is the same original one a HIGHLIGHTED some more.... L-Finese ..!!

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling-2013-ls-2.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Z; 07-22-12 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 11:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
different generations don't mean different "shape" necessary right? i look at this from a few angles

911, they all look so similar generations over generations. but they are all different and you don't have people calling it different generations.

then you look at 1ls and 2ls, the 2ls actually looks very different to the first gen shape wise. even lexus chief designer said they made the 2ls too similar to 1ls. but they are different, wheel base different, a lot of other difference on the car design as well, and no one call that "same generation"

on the s, yeah it looks the same, but i guess we have to wait for all the spec. i already mentioned on another forum too it looks similar to w221 in some way, unlike from w220 to w221. if it ends up based on the "same" car, you bet i would criticize it the same way.

of course, back on this new ls, we will see, again i could be wrong and i am ready for it. but all the inside source i have gotten information from, it's still the same car with mostly cosmetic changes. that, to me, is a bit different from a new car
well what i heard is that while it is not classic TMC FMC, it is so far from MMC that it is FMC

:-)
Old 07-20-12, 11:26 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

On a different note, the grill on the LS looks very similar to the LF-LC concept.

Old 07-20-12, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

this looks pretty aggressive and reasonably different from current LS.
Old 07-20-12, 11:49 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Comparison Time

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Don't you DARE say that

Old 07-20-12, 11:53 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So LEDs will light up two clusters out of three. That's better than only one on new GS.
Old 07-20-12, 12:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Audi announced a 4.0 V8 turbo is coming to the A8.

Not sure if Lexus can really compete with a non turbo V8 LS.
Old 07-20-12, 12:29 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Seems like they're content having a presence in this segment, for now. An ALL-NEW LS should be a better car as the major competition will be putting out their new stuff early, Lexus can gauge those vehicles for the next gen LS. Thats the thinking at least. Hopefully in 2-3 years time we see that car.
Old 07-20-12, 12:49 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

All i know is that this better be one hell of a refresh to stay competitive. 6-7 year old chassis, engine/trans, goin up against new gen Audis, bimmers, jags and benzs almost seems like a no-no to me. The competition is already on their next platforms! Lexus betta not get too far behind even if this update is signifigant.
Old 07-20-12, 01:44 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking forward to this...more and more as the days go by and information/speculation takes shape. Personally, I really enjoy the current LS: I think it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road: clean and conservative, but handsome and subtly aggressive where it counts. I'm also a big fan of the spindle grille and Lexus' recent focus on driving dynamics. I am excited to see how Lexus will apply what they have learned with the new GS to the LS - more bold design, new technology and hopefully more performance in a flagship package.

Some have doubted the ability for a refreshed LS to compete against the new S Class and 7 series, but I think it will be just fine. With a new face and rear end, and updated interior, as well as a for-certain ad campaign claiming that it's "new", this car has a chance to make a splash. The general public probably won't know that it's not 100% new so if Lexus can create a convincing enough case and does a good job marketing the car, it will sell just fine. People know and trust the LS, but in recent years, the competition has been a little newer and sharper. A nip here and a tuck there should be enough to keep the car fresh and competitive for another 2 years.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling