Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-12, 11:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

p.s.2. If we remember the article about TMG - and their twin turbo LS, we should recall how head of TMG said that their engines come from Japan.
Old 07-09-12, 11:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think they will spend money on interior and exterior and not change the rest as they did with GS.... I bet it will be very similar to GS changes if they do the interior... they might do what RX did and just do some special model + grille and small interior changes.

p.s. regards to our talks about turbo's, i just realized leaked brochure of next gen Auris had same engines as before :-). Traditionally, Toyota introduces new powertrains first in Japan.
that would be interesting to see. but seeing the same suspension going through 2 "generations" for 12 years run? i don't know what to think of it

but then again, i have been told by various source that this is going to be a "facelift", however a pretty "big" one since it's quite some changes. so we will see how that goes. i have to agree if this is facelift (as i am told by lexus people) then it's probably the biggest we have seen from lexus so far. on the other hand, looking at all the previous generations of lexus vehicles, big picture wise, every generation means different chassis / suspension, etc... tons of things.

drivetrains i am ok, as we have seen it all too well with 3gs and 4gs debut. but i would expect chassis and suspension changes for steps of improvements.
Old 07-09-12, 11:08 AM
LexFather

I really want to see all the new Lexus with the new face models together to see if there is any confusion. So far with the GS and RX there is no confusion for me in regards to looking like one another or like anything else. I think that is what Lexus is hoping for.

The current "Sport" already got great reviews and from my understanding sold well. I don't expect the new sport model to really gain much anything else outside of official F sport badges. A power bump would be nice though.

Old 07-09-12, 11:10 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
there is always a first to everything. we will see how interior is "changed". if the car has the same chassis / platform / suspension / drive train, i don't know, hard for me to call that new. if it's "new", i would expect it to stay for another 6-7 years
The LS won't be a carryover model with a new spindle. It will have a lot of similar parts, wheelbase etc as the outgoing model but it won't be a ground up redesign.

I am excited to see what Lexus will do on the interior.
Old 07-09-12, 11:16 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
sounds like no new drivetrains?
Revised gear ratios for better MPG.
Old 07-09-12, 11:42 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

that would be interesting to see. but seeing the same suspension going through 2 "generations" for 12 years run? i don't know what to think of it

but then again, i have been told by various source that this is going to be a "facelift", however a pretty "big" one since it's quite some changes. so we will see how that goes. i have to agree if this is facelift (as i am told by lexus people) then it's probably the biggest we have seen from lexus so far. on the other hand, looking at all the previous generations of lexus vehicles, big picture wise, every generation means different chassis / suspension, etc... tons of things.

drivetrains i am ok, as we have seen it all too well with 3gs and 4gs debut. but i would expect chassis and suspension changes for steps of improvements.
i dont think suspension improvements are that expensive to do, so I am sure we will see them... if they could do some changes for Sport model that sold in very small numbers, I am sure they can do GS type changes for LS.

But again, they might do a change like 2013 RX. Grille + small suspension tweaks + new wheel in the interior and colors.
Old 07-09-12, 12:01 PM
LexFather

You know this is maybe the most risque change when it comes to the spindle grill. Grill changes on SUVs usually work out fine since they are taller and more butch. The GS it seems to have worked pretty well since that market is more apt for something aggressive being a sports sedan. The ES in pics it looks good but it is a risk since that market likes conservative looks.

For the LS, this is a big big risk even as D-class Flagships have gotten more bold in recent years. While the LS has gotten more stylish it still is conservatively styled. Will this traditional market of Lexus owners like this new face and direction? Will it attract tons of buyers from other brands like the GS seems to be doing?

Also considering this is a facelift they have to merge this aggressive front end with conservative sides/rear ala GS. The ES seems to really do a great job of blending it all together.

We already know what the reaction will be from Lexus haters and people with no imagination "omg predetor" or "omg big camry" so thats not a worry. What will the market ultimately say?

This may sound crazy but in a way the Equus blatantly copying the LS might be a great thing here. For those that want to show they have a Lexus, the new face will clearly shout that in spade with no confusion with a Hyundai.

Old 07-09-12, 12:05 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Well I can't wait to see the new update!
Old 07-09-12, 12:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxo
A friend told me that the new IS ES LS will all look the same, just pick your size S M L.

Power trains and AWD do make a difference but I see his point.
This doesn't apply just to Lexus... this is the whole auto industry. The mentality is "One sausage, different lengths."
Old 07-09-12, 12:30 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Really can't wait to see it!
Old 07-09-12, 01:15 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

They need to release it so it will drop values on the existing model so I can scoop my "new to me" 2010+ LWB on the low low lol...looking forward to the release!!
Old 07-09-12, 01:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CJITTY
They need to release it so it will drop values on the existing model so I can scoop my "new to me" 2010+ LWB on the low low lol...looking forward to the release!!
i think there are good discounts on new now, since its sales dropped significantly in past 12 months...
Old 07-09-12, 01:40 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

What do you guys think about LS350 and LS450h? First one might end up in China and 2nd one might end up everywhere. So much sense.
Old 07-09-12, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
What do you guys think about LS350 and LS450h? First one might end up in China and 2nd one might end up everywhere. So much sense.
i think it makes sense especially for other regions like europe. no ls350 for the US though, please, just a horrible idea. i am actually not against ls450h for the US market, it delivers the kind of smoothness for US market imho

on the other hand regarding posts on "lexus looks so alike now" (and also other brands), it's really funny. when lexus cars didn't look like each other at all, people complained saying there is no design language and "trademark" styling for the brand. now they do, people complain. when bangle's 3 5 and 7 looked so different, people complained. now they have the same styling, people complain they are too similar

life is tough
Old 07-09-12, 03:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i think it makes sense especially for other regions like europe. no ls350 for the US though, please, just a horrible idea. i am actually not against ls450h for the US market, it delivers the kind of smoothness for US market imho

on the other hand regarding posts on "lexus looks so alike now" (and also other brands), it's really funny. when lexus cars didn't look like each other at all, people complained saying there is no design language and "trademark" styling for the brand. now they do, people complain. when bangle's 3 5 and 7 looked so different, people complained. now they have the same styling, people complain they are too similar

life is tough
these days it is all about complaining about this and that, you are damned if you do and damned if you dont.

I think LS needs to be even more radical than GS. Market is changing.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling