Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Lexus LS Unveiling

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 03:28 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Basically all the inside tech from 4GS is in facelifted LS now. Good stuff.

Only gripe is no improvement on 600h model. Not even restacking the batteries
Interesting stuff, I was informed that the LS460 will have a change to the MPG, however it won't be significant.

Also there will be a very minor HP change. Again, not all that significant.

I can't wait to see it.
Old 07-15-12, 03:39 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well, Lexus is known to fib and have different definitions of what "all new" is. Their website on the RX says the 2013 all new RX...when its just a refresh
Old 07-15-12, 04:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
well, Lexus is known to fib and have different definitions of what "all new" is. Their website on the RX says the 2013 all new RX...when its just a refresh
thats just marketing... they would like to call every year, "all new"... but these are pretty significant changes it seems, i dont know...we will see soon i guess. From the spec sheet, even interior doesnt seem that changed as they mention new cluster as if it was major change, which is weird... but then you realize that for them to fit 12.3" screen and remote touch, they would have to completely change the interior...
Old 07-15-12, 06:04 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by asoksevil
I found the source from where I got the information.

This is an interview between Mark Templin, General Manager of Lexus USA and Kevin Watts Editor from Lexus Enthusiast:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/04/2...how-interview/

And then we have this speculation whether the ES should be manufactured in the US or not:

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/06/1...les-estimates/

From this source: http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...blog/27120510/

We find that the ES300h might replace the HS250h as it has been done in the US (that's from what I can understand using Google translate)

Maybe because of the introduction of the right-hand-drive ES in other markets? Since Europe is not getting it but what about Japan?... We might see it in South East Asia and Australia.

--------

Now regarding the new LS... here are some more insights:

The new LS design will be quite different than the previous one featuring new equipment. Pricing will be pretty much the same as the current LS (as we have seen with the new GS).

However, fuel economy has not been improved (LS460), hybrid batteries have no been changed, trunk space has not been changed as well, and the wheelbase is the same one as the current LS. Handling and driving dynamics have been improved.

Exterior colors from the new GS will be aded to the new LS and so as the exclusive F Sport colors.

It seems that this LS is not a complete model change but a major refresh

Here are some features of the F Sport package

■ F SPORT (Google translate from Japanese)

Rear bumper sports only a dedicated LED fog lights front bumper · F F · F exclusive sports Sport (+ Roamekkiba paint Loa only)
F-only sport emblem (fender)
Only F-Sport forged wheels (BBS is made ​​by polishing the surface shape. As well as SZ)
• Setting the F-only sports body color (white Nova glass flakes)
Interior panel aluminum + carbon only [F sport? ]
[Two-color black (white gray perforations), of mellow white-only] F sport aluminum pedal, sports seat-only footrest · F
Black scuff plates [character], only F Sport LEXUS
Only dedicated sports suspension and brake F · F Brembo front calipers sport [to enter] LEXUS logo 6pod
F-Sport sound generator only [460] only (curious about what's this, like the BMW's M5 sound modder?)

Exterior

· ALL-LED headlamps are standard [600h, the MOP 460]
Black bumpers in the ALL-LED tail light · LED fog lamp grill grille spindle extension of body size change the design of all vehicles ※ △ common mosquito door mirrors (dark gray) (about +3 cm in length)
• Change bonnet design

Interior

Speed speedometer display speedometer increments a big design change, for up to 180 inside that small increments of up to 280 · The needle is now double, double representation of the speed display on the outside? (There is also the possibility of also shown kg + miles)
· LED analog clock (linked GPS)
12.3 inches-touch navigation & remote (Leather)
· LED ambient light panel to ornament the front passenger seat (door trim [No]
△ multifunctional 18way power seats, etc. []
· Blu-ray Disc playback support [only] Rear Entertainment System
Supports SD memory card playback rear entertainment systems only []
Months of LED lamp-room champagne gold system []
Steering wheel, change the design of the adoption of a dedicated [LS, smaller diameter] "(tentative name) Eruarinin leather?" Of superlative
This genuine leather shift **** and aluminum + [LS] only
• Adoption of a dedicated shift boots [460. No shift boots 600h]
Power-up of the seat heater.
(Only executive or L) air-conditioners and heater feature the world's first senses the body temperature to adjust
-New interior panel has been adopted in [GS, Agathis (Thurs stripe), Silver Leaf Wood dedicated system LS)
· With L-SELECT. (W do not remember about nine theme there?)

■ proximity alarm and rear vehicle safety equipment [BMS] MOP's first domestic Lexus ※ · Adaptive high beam automatic radar Cruise + person ※ MOP support and new Pre-crash Safety ※ 52,500 yen (hard to explain ...)

■ · Noise Reduction wheel body rigidity strengthening adding "Comfort" in the drive mode select PERFORMANCE (setting. Wheels reduce road noise pattern from the year 2013)
[FR] LSD Torusen only car-

Fuel
460 no change s
600h is the better 0.6km / L, 11.6km / L in JC08 mode

■ other quietness up further
※ key card (Leather + larger) No arc only change the smart key LS.
The current generation chassis code USF40 is listed on the paper, so that tells everything. I really have to wonder if this is a result of the economic downturn experienced during the development of the new LS(2007-2012) for them to discard an all new model. These carryover changes are worse than the second generation model 18 years ago. The end result of that was decreased LS sales into 2000. This just means they have forfeited the market to the S-Class(W222) again. I'd expect they would learn their lesson with the W221's improvement over the W220, but clearly they haven't.
Old 07-15-12, 06:35 PM
LexFather

It's been reported for sometime that it's just a facelift but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. The strategy is to stretch the lineup out for an all new LS in a couple of years and add the new face to the flagship.

As an example the Avalon got a big 2nd refresh recently before the all new model debuts this year. A lot of people jumped to the conclusion the refresh would last a long time but it didn't.

The 2nd gen was an all new model but Lexus stated they listened to focus groups too much and were to cautious initially. Remember though the car sold very well after the 1998-2000 refresh.
I agree I hope not a lot of momentum is lost since a new S class is coming.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-15-12 at 06:39 PM.

Old 07-15-12, 08:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

so existing chassis, spindle grill, upgraded interior (sort of a la GS), standard LED headlights, etc. ... about right?

even though that's not an all new model, it could still be really great. the LS is already plenty powerful enough, but competitors will make hay i guess over only 380hp or whatever it is...

i'm glad the LS will get the new interior as i've always felt that's the weakest part of the current LS. it's still a wonderful vehicle though and will be even better in this new 'version'.
Old 07-15-12, 11:21 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The F-Sport will be interesting to see. Sounds like the changes are bigger than just a refresh. Not a total redesign, but a big update nonetheless.
Old 07-15-12, 11:41 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so existing chassis, spindle grill, upgraded interior (sort of a la GS), standard LED headlights, etc. ... about right?

even though that's not an all new model, it could still be really great. the LS is already plenty powerful enough, but competitors will make hay i guess over only 380hp or whatever it is...

i'm glad the LS will get the new interior as i've always felt that's the weakest part of the current LS. it's still a wonderful vehicle though and will be even better in this new 'version'.
i guess... it is hard to say... basically this is refresh that Toyota/Lexus always should had be doing but never did before :-).

It will probably last until 2015/2016, when they will need some fresh blood in terms of sales. Since ES/GS/IS - all of their sedans and half of their sales will be brand new by 2013, new LS in 2015/2016 will help to give them boost when these models become a bit stale... something Lexus missed in 2010/2011 for instance.

So 2014/2015/2016 will have new RX CTh, GX, LX, plus new baby RX, new coupe? Thats not a bad strategy to have.
Old 07-15-12, 11:42 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

basically exterior changes like in 2013, and new interior, and some suspension modifications.
Old 07-16-12, 01:39 AM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It's been reported for sometime that it's just a facelift but it seemed to fall on deaf ears. The strategy is to stretch the lineup out for an all new LS in a couple of years and add the new face to the flagship.

As an example the Avalon got a big 2nd refresh recently before the all new model debuts this year. A lot of people jumped to the conclusion the refresh would last a long time but it didn't.

The 2nd gen was an all new model but Lexus stated they listened to focus groups too much and were to cautious initially. Remember though the car sold very well after the 1998-2000 refresh.
Too much hype from the all-new GS made us believe that the new LS would also be a complete model change.

Lexus should take into consideration what you just said, the S class is coming, and it seems to be rolling hard with lots of new technology and fancy staff.
Old 07-16-12, 02:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by asoksevil
Too much hype from the all-new GS made us believe that the new LS would also be a complete model change.

Lexus should take into consideration what you just said, the S class is coming, and it seems to be rolling hard with lots of new technology and fancy staff.
it seems LS will have all of the latest tech too, more than GS.
Old 07-16-12, 08:24 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Not really, only the 1998 model year had a sales increase. Then the 1999 and 2000 models even fell below the pre-1998 sales levels, until the LS430 spiked sales and kept them above 20,000. Recently they have returned to their lowest LS sales years of the XF20/UCF20. Even though I'm an Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz owner, I do like what Lexus stands for and would hate for them to hand sales over to the S-Class(W222).
Old 07-16-12, 08:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

i think last month LS u.s. sales were under 600 which is about 3 a dealer

hopefully this (big) refresh will improve that a bunch.
Old 07-16-12, 08:51 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by NoLFA4U
Not anymore. http://carbuzz.com/news/2012/7/15/M7...eries-7709797/

I really hope Lexus puts a LS-F into production!
let's talk when they actually put a m7 badge on the car.

this is just like taking out a 335 and say it's an m3

this......

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

yup i am very much looking to see the interior updates
Old 07-16-12, 11:33 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, Lexus is actually considering this to be FMC... so i expect changes to be larger than we thought... apparently exterior will be similar to GS as well, not just changes to the front.

Quick Reply: 2013 Lexus LS Unveiling