Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is an efficient use of 340 hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is an efficient use of 340 hp

BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is an efficient use of 340 hp

Gallery:
http://green.autoblog.com/photos/bmw...photo-5139138/

We've learned to expect that hybrid vehicles will produce lower emissions and fuel-consumption scores than their standard gasoline-burning siblings. What we generally don't expect, however, is for that same hybrid to be quicker to 60 than its turbocharged brother or for it to make more overall horsepower.

Such is the case with the BMW ActiveHybrid 3, which offers up 340 horsepower and 332 pound-feet of torque from its 3.0-liter twin-turbo inline six and electric motor combination – useful gains from the 300 hp and 300 lb-ft in the 335i. Those added ponies allow the Hybrid 3 to hit 62 miles per hour in just 5.3 seconds, a .2-second improvement, according to the automaker, over the thirstier 335i.

BMW says the Hybrid 3 can travel up to 2.5 miles on electricity alone at speeds of up to 46 miles per hour, though not at the same time, of course, and fuel efficiency of about 40 miles per gallon on the EU test cycle. Expect the U.S. EPA figure to vary from that figure.

A lithium ion battery pack resides in the trunk, and it's made up of 96 individual cells with a rated output of 675 Wh. Power is sent to the rear wheels from the dual drivetrain through an eight-speed automatic gearbox that shares its outer casing with the 55-hp electric motor. Naturally, there's a rather prominent badge on the C-pillar displaying the car's fuel-saving credentials, as you can see in our image gallery above.

The BMW ActiveHybrid 3: Intelligence breeds efficiency.

Enhanced efficiency coupled with increased dynamics in the
BMW ActiveHybrid 3 thanks to the combination of an award-winning combustion engine and an innovative electric drive.

BMW TwinPower Turbo technology working in tandem with an eight-speed automatic hybrid transmission and intelligent energy management.

All-electric operation up to 75 km/h (46 mph). All-electric driving range up to four kilometres (approx. 2.5 miles).

System output 250 kW/340 hp.

Outstanding ratio of driving performance to fuel consumption:
5.3 seconds from zero to 100 km/h (62 mph). 5.9 litres per 100 km
(47.9mpg imp) and 139 g CO2/km in the EU test cycle.

Latest-generation BMW ActiveHybrid technology: six-in-line engine, electric motor, lithium-ion battery.
The 225 kW/306 hp six-cylinder in-line engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology in the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is the same unit renowned for its free-revving capability, pulling power and efficiency in the BMW 335i. The electric motor, meanwhile, develops 40 kW/55 hp and is supplied with energy by a high-voltage lithium-ion battery integrated underneath the luggage area.

Power from the two drive systems is transferred to the rear wheels by the eight-speed automatic transmission. In addition to its full-hybrid construction, which enables purely electric and therefore local emission-free driving in urban conditions or when coasting, the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 boasts not just highly sporty performance but also a double-digit percentage improvement in fuel economy over the BMW 335i/335iA.

Superior efficiency thanks to ECO PRO mode including coasting and intelligent energy management.
In order to exploit the potential of the BMW ActiveHybrid technology, the intelligent energy management of the power electronics uses a host of innovative functions to ensure the drive system runs efficiently.

Charging of the high-performance battery primarily takes place during coasting or braking, the electric motor performing the role of a generator feeding energy into the high-voltage battery. By contrast, under acceleration the electric motor takes on a boost function. Here, it assists the petrol engine by generating an ultra-dynamic burst of power, lending the Sedan's sporty driving experience a sharper edge.

Moreover, while coasting at speeds of up to 160 km/h (100 mph) in
ECO PRO mode, the combustion engine can be switched off and fully decoupled. This coasting mode combines comfortable driving with optimum utilisation of the kinetic energy already generated. To avoid periods with the engine running at idle at junctions or in traffic tailbacks, the BMW ActiveHybrid 3 deploys its hybrid start-stop function. Plus, the power electronics can be intelligently linked up with the navigation system Professional (optional on the ActiveHybrid 3). This allows for proactive analysis of the driving situation, enabling the drive components to be primed to deliver maximum efficiency (the effect may vary according to the quality of the available navigation data).

Design: sporty elegance with individual accents.

The BMW ActiveHybrid 3 sees the sporty yet elegant body design of the BMW 3 Series Sedan complemented by bespoke touches which highlight its innovative drive technology. The "ActiveHybrid 3" lettering on the C-pillars and at the rear, along with the matt chrome exhaust tailpipes, set the exterior apart from the other models in the range. Further accents come courtesy of the standard satin-finish window surrounds and the BMW Individual High-gloss Shadow features in the side graphic.

Available as an option, meanwhile, are 18-inch Streamline light-alloy wheels displaying exceptional aerodynamic efficiency.

The BMW ActiveHybrid 3 also stands out visually with door sill strips bearing "ActiveHybrid 3" lettering, an aluminium plate on the gearshift lever **** with the same ID, and a bespoke engine cover. In addition, all three Sport,
Modern and Luxury lines as well as the M Sport package are available for the ActiveHybrid 3.

High-grade standard fittings, wide-ranging options.

The selection of interior colours, upholstery and interior trim elements reflects the range offered for the other BMW 3 Series Sedan variants.

Added to the standard-fitted array of comfort-enhancing features is also a
2-zone climate control system with stationary air conditioning.

A wide range of driver assistance systems and BMW ConnectedDrive mobility services, as well as virtually all the other optional extras available for the conventionally powered BMW 3 Series Sedan, can also be optionally specified for the BMW ActiveHybrid 3.
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/06/b...use-of-340-hp/
Old 07-06-12, 09:17 PM
Hoovey689

Bring out the IS450h!!!!
Old 07-06-12, 09:35 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same as the last AH7, which is faster and more effecient than the regular 750. Not so much with the new LCI 7 which downgrade to the same powertrain as the AH3 and AH5. If I'm in the market for a 3 series, this would be it, the battery adds a lot more useful torque from the low end from regular 335.
Old 07-06-12, 11:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

cool, lets hope this makes Lexus offer IS450h... p.s. Euro spec, this has slightly worse consumption than GS450h in Europe. Same as AH5?
Old 07-07-12, 05:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think lexus learned their lesson with high power hybrids so I dont see the IS getting this type of treatment. Also I read somewhere that the ah3 will cost 5-6K more than the 335i...
Old 07-07-12, 05:23 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The more hybrids the better, IMO
Old 07-07-12, 05:51 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by RXSF
I think lexus learned their lesson with high power hybrids so I dont see the IS getting this type of treatment. Also I read somewhere that the ah3 will cost 5-6K more than the 335i...
I built one last night online. Base starting is $49,xxx and with option mine ballooned to $61k
Old 07-07-12, 09:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ oh i didnt realize it was on the website already. yeah that is 5 series territory. The 4 cyl engine in the 528 is super efficient as well and 240 hp is great
Old 07-07-12, 09:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hybrid loaded i am not surprised if it gets into next category.

just like gsh, loaded one is 75k, that's well into ls territory. but then again, that's just the premium you pay for hybrid i guess
Old 07-07-12, 10:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Too expensive for the whole thing. Pass.
Old 07-07-12, 11:09 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
but then again, that's just the premium you pay for hybrid i guess
and that premium is never made up by gas savings unless you keep the car for half a million miles by which time the seats are worn out.
Old 07-08-12, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and that premium is never made up by gas savings unless you keep the car for half a million miles by which time the seats are worn out.
i always laugh inside of me when someone tells me a hybrid saves money overall. i just ask if he/she drives that much
Old 07-08-12, 07:34 AM
LexFather

Obviously with 340hp they bought his hybrid for the joint benefits of performance and MPG. Not sure how that point is lost since 2005 when the RXh debuted with a new spin on hybrids.

Nice job BMW!

Old 07-08-12, 08:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i always laugh inside of me when someone tells me a hybrid saves money overall. i just ask if he/she drives that much
premiums dont, but normal hybrids do... ES300h will certainly save you money over ES350.

Eventually you will have situation as with diesels - for instance there is:
316d
318d
320d
325d
330d
335d

So for instance 320i costs $3k less than 320d and gets 25% worse mpg, very similar to hybrids vs petrols.

But since in Europe duel is 2x more expensive, pay off is sooner, even if it is still 3-5 years, however you have to calculate the cost of selling the car used and diesel sells at higher prices... very similar to hybrids.

If everyone just looked at how many miles you drive before payoff, nobody would drive diesels in europe... but we have 44% market share now :-)
Old 07-08-12, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by spwolf
premiums dont, but normal hybrids do... ES300h will certainly save you money over ES350.

Eventually you will have situation as with diesels - for instance there is:
316d
318d
320d
325d
330d
335d

So for instance 320i costs $3k less than 320d and gets 25% worse mpg, very similar to hybrids vs petrols.

But since in Europe duel is 2x more expensive, pay off is sooner, even if it is still 3-5 years, however you have to calculate the cost of selling the car used and diesel sells at higher prices... very similar to hybrids.

If everyone just looked at how many miles you drive before payoff, nobody would drive diesels in europe... but we have 44% market share now :-)
keyword -- eventually

i never said hybrid will never catch up and save money. i have no doubt it can be the future. when it matures even more, even more efficient, even more popular and thus lower cost, it will come to a point where hybrid will make a lot of sense and save money (point of return) very soon.

my point is simply that right now, i am still very unsure how hybrid is saving money overall. i can understand about green, i can understand about environmental conscious, those are great. but i don't know if money is one of them

Quick Reply: BMW ActiveHybrid 3 is an efficient use of 340 hp