Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 VW Tiguan SE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
VW is running gas-2.0Ts with at least the same HP/torque figures as the Audi versions.....they are just not admitting it.
Not arguing, the general consensus at least after dyno runs is that Audi and BMW underrate they're engines. In fact the numbers they list as "fly wheel" are in fact closer to "wheel hp"
Old 07-07-12, 11:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Great review. I don't think the Tiguan gets the appreciation it deserves. It's styled modern and clean, the dash is traditional and not a freak show, and the performance and economy numbers ring in very well. Also worth mentioned the colorful light show inside the cabin at night.

One thing that turns me off however is the front overhang. From the side, it looks flat out silly. Also wish the rear half extended out a few more inches. That would help cargo capacity and improve looks by taking visual "weight" off the over-extended front.
Old 07-08-12, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Great review.
Thanks.

I don't think the Tiguan gets the appreciation it deserves.
The VW marketers themselves could also do a little more for it, such as giving U.S.-market versions a diesel and/or DSG options.

One thing that turns me off however is the front overhang. From the side, it looks flat out silly. Also wish the rear half extended out a few more inches. That would help cargo capacity and improve looks by taking visual "weight" off the over-extended front.
Sometimes, though, those front overhangs help with underhood space. I often note, in reviews, when engine-blocks are stuffed in tight spaces like sardines, and difficult or impossible to work on. That can also sometimes affect cooling airflow around the engine.
Old 07-11-13, 01:05 PM
rbny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been recently considering a late model compact SUV/CUV in the mid 20's to low 30's price range with 4wd/AWD and this was one of my top choices.

This well written and informative review may have just made this my top choice for a second vehicle, depending on how I like it after a test drive.

MM: I will be in the DC/VA area during the month of August and would like to know if there's a particular VW dealership that you can recommend that I should contact for a test drive during that time.

Thanks again for the great review.
Old 07-11-13, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rbny
I've been recently considering a late model compact SUV/CUV in the mid 20's to low 30's price range with 4wd/AWD and this was one of my top choices.

This well written and informative review may have just made this my top choice for a second vehicle, depending on how I like it after a test drive.

MM: I will be in the DC/VA area during the month of August and would like to know if there's a particular VW dealership that you can recommend that I should contact for a test drive during that time.

Sure. Glad it helped.

I know several of the personnel at Stohlman VW/Subaru at Tyson's Corner, VA. (I bought my former Outback there and had it routinely serviced there).....although a couple of the people there in sales and service that I knew best have since retired. I've also done some reviews there. The dealership usually has a decent stock, but the roads around it are sometimes quite congested (a subway extension is being built right next to it). Still, if you want to test-drive any VW product, they will probably let you with no problem.

http://www.stohlman-vw.com/?cs:e=g&c...s:ki=425032498
Old 07-11-13, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

(moderator edit - quoted entire review, removed)

A good review, I can agree to almost all of this.

What I am amazed is that VW has nothing in between the $23K Tiguan and that $43K Touareg. That is amazing considering it is VW.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 07-26-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 01:26 PM
rbny
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE:

My wife and I just test drove a 2013 Tiguan SE with AWD from a local dealer last weekend and was unfortunately underwhelmed. Especially after getting back in the Lexus and driving away from the dealer; it just confirmed our decision against the Tiguan. It's not a bad vehicle but not worth the approximate 30 Gs before CA taxes that might end up being a replacement for the Lexus*. Then we drove by the Audi Dealer that "happened" to be a quarter mile from the VW dealer and on a "whim" test drove the 2013 Q5 2.0T...I was impressed and just as importantly, my wife loved it. So much so that we just ordered a 2014 Q5 2.0T after working with a dealer that met our budget. However, I don't think my wife was unbiased since she drove an Audi while she was an undergrad and my father-in-law currently drives a 2012 Q5.

*Nothing wrong with my Lexus IS3-we just needed and wanted a late model compact SUV/Crossover. Consequently (and sadly), it looks like I may have to sell my IS3 when the Q5 arrives since we don't need to have two vehicles at this time.

Last edited by rbny; 07-26-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-26-13, 06:17 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

...I was impressed and more importantly, my wife loved it.
fixed. .............
Old 07-26-13, 06:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
A good review, I can agree to almost all of this.

What I am amazed is that VW has nothing in between the $23K Tiguan and that $43K Touareg. That is amazing considering it is VW.
LexsCTJill - no need to quote the entire review and pictures in your two line post in future. thanks.
Old 07-27-13, 10:08 AM
rbny
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
fixed. .............
You got that right...
Old 07-30-13, 01:10 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ my wife and I test drove a '14 Q5 with the new 3.0 TDI and thought it was pretty impressive! 240hp/428tq makes that thing move pretty quickly... It was interesting to see that the Q5's 3.0 TDI gets more tq than a Cayenne, Q7, and Touareg.

Good review MM. I mentioned this car to my wife previously but the VW line isn't "luxury" enough.
Old 07-31-13, 09:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
^^^ my wife and I test drove a '14 Q5 with the new 3.0 TDI and thought it was pretty impressive! 240hp/428tq makes that thing move pretty quickly... It was interesting to see that the Q5's 3.0 TDI gets more tq than a Cayenne, Q7, and Touareg.

Good review MM.
Thanks.

I mentioned this car to my wife previously but the VW line isn't "luxury" enough.
The Q3 just might (?) be an ideal vehicle for you and your wife....and would probably (depending on equipment/options) be less money than a Q5. It's a shame that Audi won't offer it in the U.S........and their reps are either tight-lipped or simply unaware of the reasons why.
Old 07-31-13, 09:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Here is a picture of the 2015 Q2. I would guess the Q3 would look similar. It would be nice if Audi brought the Q3 to the U.S.
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/...R_Magazine.jpg
Old 04-09-14, 10:41 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Volkswagen Tiguan TDI Review

AutoGuide Samples Europe’s Diesel Tiguan

When Volkswagen offered us the chance to drive a European-market Tiguan with a diesel engine, we jumped at it. After all, automotive journalists are conditioned to love all things diesel.

FAST FACTS
  • Engine: 2.0L turbocharged diesel four-cylinder makes 174 hp, 280 lb-ft of torque.
  • Transmission: six-speed manual available, seven-speed twin clutch DSG as tested.
  • Fuel Economy: No EPA figures offered. Observed average of 32.3 MPG.
  • Price: No U.S. price.

And AutoGuide is a fan of the Tiguan. We love its smart size and upscale interior, with only the high price keeping us from recommending it wholeheartedly. The snappy 2.0T turbocharged gas engine is certainly one of the Tig's high points, so we were curious to see how the diesel version would compare.

Since the U.S.-spec Tiguan uses the same 200 horsepower, 207 lb-ft gasoline engine found in other VW cars, we expected to find the same 2.0-liter 140 horsepower/236 lb-ft diesel available in the Beetle, Golf, Jetta and Passat. Not so: While VW Europe does offer the 140 hp engine in the Tiguan, the one we drove had the souped-up version, rated at 174 horsepower and 280 lb-ft. Volkswagen offers a six-speed stick in Europe, but this particular Tiguan came with a seven-speed DSG twin-clutch transmission and 4Motion all-wheel drive.

The Trade-Off

Performance-wise, the diesel isn't far off the gas version: VW claims an 8.5 second 0-100 km/h (62 MPH) time for the Tiguan TDI we drove, versus a 0-60 time of 8.2 seconds for the US-spec Tiguan 2.0T 4Motion. As with most diesels, this one is a tad sluggish off the line, but that V8-like torque comes into play when you want to pass a truck on a narrow two-lane road. It's this mid-range torque that makes diesels a favorite among folks like us, but the Tiguan's excellent 2.0T gas engine is a hard act to follow. Like the diesel, it has a broad, flat torque curve that provides a lot of mid-range muscle. The diesel is more vocal at idle and low speeds than the gasoline engine (and a bit louder than other VW TDI models we've driven), but its metallic thrum fades away almost entirely at highway speeds.

Big Bump in MPGs

The diesel engine's real advantage is fuel economy. We averaged an impressive 32.3 MPG, about nine MPG better than what we're used to seeing in gasoline-powered Tiguans. And that was with mostly urban driving. Had we spent a bit more time at highway speeds, our average would probably have been higher.

Of course, our observed fuel economy is hardly scientific, but differences between European and American test standards – as well as differences in the powertrains VW sells in Europe and America – make a precise comparison difficult, if not impossible. Be warned that the following paragraph may cause drowsiness in adults (and hyperactivity in car geeks).

Here in the U.S., EPA fuel economy estimates for the Tiguan with the 2.0T gas engine are 18 MPG city and 26 MPG highway for the front-drive version with a six-speed stick, 21 and 26 with a six-speed automatic, and 20/26 for the automatic 4Motion model. In Europe, the 2.0T comes with 4Motion only, and is rated at 20.3 U.S. MPG in the urban cycle and 35.1 extra-urban with a manual transmission, and 19.9/35.1 with an automatic -- but that automatic is the more fuel-efficient seven-speed DSG. For the 174 hp diesel we drove, the ratings are 27.7 urban and 42.8 extra-urban. How does that translate to into U.S. EPA figures? It beats the daylights out of us, but it puts our observed 32.3 MPG figure in some sort of context. The diesel is about 40 percent more efficient in the Euro urban cycle, which mirrors the improvement we saw between diesel and gas Tiguans.

Conflicting Features

The Euro-spec Tiguan we drove had several features not offered on American-market Tigs, starting with an automatic start-stop system that shuts the engine off at stoplights and restarts it when the driver removes lets off the brake pedal. The Tiguan's system is pretty crude; it uses the regular starter, so the occupants get a good shaking as the engine is restarted. And our Tig's diesel engine didn't always fire right away – it sometimes took as long as a second and a half to restart, and while that may not sound like much, it's an eternity when you're sitting and staring at a green light.

The Tiguan also had an auto-hold system, a convenience feature that keeps the brakes applied after the driver steps off the pedal and releases them when upon stepping on the accelerator. The problem is that it works at odds with the auto-stop. If you take your foot off the brake, the engine restarts, defeating the purpose of auto-stop, and to use auto-stop, you have to leave your foot on the brake, defeating the purpose of auto-hold. We learned to use them together to compensate for the slow-acting auto-stop system: When the opposing light turned yellow, we'd take our foot off the brake to give the engine time to restart, and when our light turned green, we'd press the accelerator and off we'd go. We're pretty sure this procedure is not what Volkswagen engineers had in mind.

Our Tiguan also had adjustable shocks with Comfort, Normal and Sport modes. We felt a minor difference in ride quality and only a slight difference in cornering performance, though we credit the narrow delta to the Tiguan's already-agile chassis. Our test-Tig was equipped with an automatic parallel-parking system, similar to the one offered by Ford and Chrysler, as well as auto-dimming high beams. Volkswagen says all of these systems are being considered for US sale. No word on the suede-upholstered seats and the airplane-style tray tables for the back-seat passengers, though.

Possible Foreshadowing

So what are the prospects for a diesel Tiguan in the U.S.? The fact that Volkswagen let us sample the vehicle is evidence that they must be seriously considering it, if it's not already a done deal. They did something similar with the GTD, a diesel version of the GTI. After making the rounds to the journalists last year, VW announced that the GTD would come to the US in 2016.

Should you consider a diesel-powered Tig? The fuel economy benefits seem convincing. With a TDI under the hood, the Tiguan can achieve the sort of fuel economy we associate with compact cars. But whether the diesel makes financial sense is up for debate. VW charges about $2,700 for the engine in other models and even with a gain of nine MPG, the diesel Tiguan would still take about seven years to pay for itself. The added range is certainly nice; with its 16.8 gallon tank, the diesel turns the weekly fill-up into a bimonthly event. But we're not sure this one convenience factor is worth the cost.

And make no mistake, the diesel is likely to cause a major case of sticker shock: Assuming VW follows their standard practice of only offering the diesel on mid- and high-end models, that would push the Tiguan TDI's starting price to over $30,000, with top-of-the-range versions selling for upwards of forty grand – higher if the US gets the adaptive suspension and self-parking options. And that brings us back to our one standing objection to the gasoline-powered Tiguan: It's way more expensive than its competitors. Let's not forget that Mercedes will sell you a diesel-powered GLK250 BlueTEC – right now– for just under $40k. Audi offers the related Q5 TDI with a six-cylinder diesel that offers invigorating performance and similar fuel economy to the four-cylinder Tiguan TDI, though it's priced significantly higher at $47,395.

The Verdict

Though we're intrigued by the idea of a diesel-powered Volkswagen Tiguan, we question the benefit. The gasoline-burning 2.0T engine already offers great drivability and the significant fuel savings offered by the diesel are offset by its higher cost – which, when added to the Tiguan's already lofty price tag, is bound to scare off all but the most dedicated diesel buyers. Unless VW makes a major change in their pricing structure, the Tiguan TDI (if it does come to the US) probably won’t make much financial sense.

LOVE IT
Outstanding fuel economy
Similar torque to 2.0T gasoline engine

LEAVE IT
Rough auto-stop system
High MPGs offset by price
Pricey powertrain in an already-expensive vehicle
http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-3852.html