Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chrysler VP of product planning sees slot for small pickups

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 01:14 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Chrysler VP of product planning sees slot for small pickups

Chrysler VP of product planning sees slot for small pickups

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2002-...#photo-609411/

"There is a vacuum left in the small pickup category," said Jesse Toprak, vice president of market intelligence for TrueCar.com says in a new Detroit Free Press report. And as we all know, the automotive industry abhors a vacuum.

Joe Veltri, VP of product planning for Chrysler, sees that vacuum as a potential for profits.

"Based on our data, young males still aspire to own a pickup," Veltri says in the story. "Historically, if you go back to the '80s, the compact or midsize pickup segment was bigger than the full-size segment."

So why are small trucks no longer popular? Veltri and others argue that as the sticker price of smaller pickups got bigger, larger pickups began to look more affordable. Why buy a small pickup for $20k when a full-size truck is only a couple thousand more? We might add: Why by a small pickup when they've gotten so large that they're not much easier to drive or park than their full-size contemporaries?

Veltri says nothing has been finalized, but the company has been talking about a new small pickup for ages now. In fact, way back in 2002, they rolled out the blazing yellow Dodge M80 concept shown above. We loved it then, we like it now. A little bit retro, a whole lotta masculine. Build it on a unibody platform for better fuel economy, price it well below the full-size Ram and, bingo, vacuum filled. Like the Honda Ridgeline, it would give non-traditional truck buyers a smoother riding more economical choice. If it were properly executed, well-priced and managed appreciably better fuel economy, we think it could be a strong seller seller (a trick the Ridgeline that has thus eluded the Ridgeline).

News stories the past few years have indicated that Chrysler has been investigating a unibody pickup as a replacement for its now-deceased Dakota midsize truck for several now, but we haven't heard much about the possibility since CEO Sergio Marchionne admitted in January that there's a "Better than 50-percent chance" that the next Dakota will be rely on unibody construction.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/06/c...small-pickups/
Old 07-06-12, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

Comm'on Ford, bring the Ranger back!! 2.0L Ecoboost 4 and the range topping 300hp 3.7L V6 would be perfect.

Old 07-07-12, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

So why are small trucks no longer popular? Veltri and others argue that as the sticker price of smaller pickups got bigger, larger pickups began to look more affordable. Why buy a small pickup for $20k when a full-size truck is only a couple thousand more? We might add: Why by a small pickup when they've gotten so large that they're not much easier to drive or park than their full-size contemporaries?
I have to basically agree that size and price have definitely impacted on the small-to-medium-size truck market. But there are also other factors. The GM Colorado/Canyon pickups (also sold as the former Isuzu I-pickup) were simply uncompetitive, being (by modern standards) poorly-designed and poorly built with ultra-cheap materials. The Honda Ridgeline, superbly built and with several clever built-in features, was never really looked upon by many Americans as a real truck (I didn't agree). And the Europeans and Koreans, for whatever reasons, generally have not seen fit to introduce pickups to the American market, though VW sold a Rabbit/Golf-based pickup here some years ago that was something like a small Chevy El Camino.

Old 07-07-12, 10:08 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I have to basically agree that size and price have definitely impacted on the small-to-medium-size truck market. But there are also other factors. The GM Colorado/Canyon pickups (also sold as the former Isuzu I-pickup) were simply uncompetitive, being (by modern standards) poorly-designed and poorly built with ultra-cheap materials. The Honda Ridgeline, superbly built and with several clever built-in features, was never really looked upon by many Americans as a real truck (I didn't agree). And the Europeans and Koreans, for whatever reasons, generally have not seen fit to introduce pickups to the American market, though VW sold a Rabbit/Golf-based pickup here some years ago that was something like a small Chevy El Camino.
VW toyed with the idea of offering the Amarok here in the states a few years ago but it never came to fruition.

Old 07-07-12, 10:48 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Dear Chrysler,

Let's stop and think for a minute. Part of what got you into trouble in the 90's is exactly what you are doing here. Look at the trends.

GM is discontinuing the Colorado/Canyon...YOU discontinued the Dakota (which, lets face it, totally sucked as a small truck and was an epic fail as a big one) and Ford killed the ranger. The Honda Ridgeline is a joke and too big to be a small truck. Its more in the Avalanche category.

There are 3 Small trucks left in america today. The Toyota Tacoma, The Nissan Frontier, and the Suzuki Something-or-other (a re-badge'd Frontier). The only one thats selling well, is the Tacoma, and the only reason its doing that is because its a Toyota. Its riding the waves on reputation. You don't have a reputation. At least not a good one...not yet.

The problem with small pickups here in america is this:

1. They get nearly the same fuel mileage as a full-size.
2. They cost nearly the same as a full-size. In fact, in 2011, the last year for the Dakota, a Laramie model topped out at 38k. You can get a very nicely equipped Ram for that, and get the same fuel mileage, while towing 5000lbs more and lets face it...owning a full sized truck is awesome.
3. They cant do what a full-size can do. Normally this wouldnt be a problem, so long as it doesnt meet the other 2 criteria in this list.

For pete's sake, if you are gonna do it, put a small cummin's diesel in it (option), and decent amenities, while keeping the loaded price in the mid-high 20's. Getting 40mpg hwy (diesel) or 28-30mp hwy (gas), able to tow 5k, a nice interior, and optioned out at $28,000? I am ALL OVER IT. You have proven to America and to the world, that you CAN make nice cars and trucks that compete with the top brands. You ARE capable of making a transmission that doesnt explode. You CAN put together an interior that doesnt look like 6 acres of tupperware. Do it right Chrysler, or you will kick yourself later. I beg you, tread very VERY carefully. You are sticking your toes into toyota's sandbox...and they might just hit you over the head with a shovel.

P.S. Please PLEASE PLEASE do not make it look ANYTHING like this:

Sincerely,

A concerned Mopar Enthusiast.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-07-12 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-07-12, 04:17 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

We loved it then, we like it now.
I stopped reading their article after this........
Old 07-07-12, 04:26 PM
LexFather

I think there is a market for a small bare bones compact truck. But if it gets expensive then that base large size truck will be the way to go.

I kinda miss the lowriders and small compact pick-ups

Old 07-07-12, 04:46 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I owned an 01 Dakota extended cab for a while and found it to be a good size for me. I could easily reach over the sides of the bed and access cargo and the cab was OK for 2. My son had an S-10 and that cab, along with the Ranger, was too tight IMO. The problem with the Dakota was the constant need for repairs. I said it belonged to the repair-of-the-month club. Thankfully, my daughter was married to a mechanic at the time and the truck spent more time in their garage than in mine.

Now having an old LX, I find that to be far more flexible for passenger and cargo needs than any pickup. I seldom need to haul really dirty stuff in a bed. I suppose a minivan would meet many of the same needs, also.
Old 07-07-12, 05:50 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
Dear Chrysler,

Let's stop and think for a minute. Part of what got you into trouble in the 90's is exactly what you are doing here. Look at the trends.

GM is discontinuing the Colorado/Canyon...YOU discontinued the Dakota (which, lets face it, totally sucked as a small truck and was an epic fail as a big one) and Ford killed the ranger. The Honda Ridgeline is a joke and too big to be a small truck. Its more in the Avalanche category.

There are 3 Small trucks left in america today. The Toyota Tacoma, The Nissan Frontier, and the Suzuki Something-or-other (a re-badge'd Frontier). The only one thats selling well, is the Tacoma, and the only reason its doing that is because its a Toyota. Its riding the waves on reputation. You don't have a reputation. At least not a good one...not yet.
Suzuki Equator
Old 07-07-12, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Suzuki Equator
I've yet to see an Equator on the road...and that's saying something with the D.C. area's enormous traffic-load and car/truck sales. Suzuki's sparse auto-dealer-network, of course, doesn't help, either.

Even with the sparse, hard-to-find Suzuki auto/truck dealerships (Suzuki motorcycle shops, of course, are more common), I'm surprised the Equator didn't sell better than it has. As a rebadged Nissan Frontier, it offered all the advantages (and reliability) of the Frontier, yet with a much longer drivetrain warranty.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-12 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-07-12, 07:26 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The Honda Ridgeline is a joke and too big to be a small truck. Its more in the Avalanche category.
The Avalanche and Ridgeline are in two totally different categories. The Ridgeline is a mid-size truck with a V6 and a unique unibody frame attached to a semi-ladder-frame underneath. The Avalanche is a classic V8 full-size truck....essentially a 4-door Chevy Silverado with a trick drop-down rear-window assembly that allows very long cargo-items in the bed to reach in as far as the seats. Cadillac also sold a more-plush, better-equipped version of the Avalanche, called the Escalade EXT.
Old 07-07-12, 08:44 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I've yet to see an Equator on the road...and that's saying something with the D.C. area's enormous traffic-load and car/truck sales. Suzuki's sparse auto-dealer-network, of course, doesn't help, either.

Even with the sparse, hard-to-find Suzuki auto/truck dealerships (Suzuki motorcycle shops, of course, are more common), I'm surprised the Equator didn't sell better than it has. As a rebadged Nissan Frontier, it offered all the advantages (and reliability) of the Frontier, yet with a much longer drivetrain warranty.
Now that you mention it, I have yet to see one either.
Old 07-07-12, 09:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I have never heard of the Suzuki Equator.

I want a diesel ranger.
Old 07-07-12, 11:07 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Toyota Tacoma is a hot seller...

Even my mom likes it, and is considering it as a future purchase lol.
Old 07-08-12, 04:00 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
... I want a diesel ranger.
An independent Mercedes mechanic I met transplanted the engine & transmission from a MB 240d into a Ranger for his shop truck. When the truck rusted out, he bought a used Ranger body from a junkyard in Nevada and re-transplanted the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: Chrysler VP of product planning sees slot for small pickups