Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-gen Mazda6 wagon reveals its stylish new shape

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 01:15 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Next-gen Mazda6 wagon reveals its stylish new shape

Next-gen Mazda6 wagon reveals its stylish new shape

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/mazda...photo-5138333/

Get used to the aesthetics of the Mazda CX-5 – you're going to be seeing a lot more of it. Yes, the automaker's new Kodo design language will be rapidly spreading across the entire lineup, and that's clearly evident in these spy shots of the next-generation Mazda6 wagon. Friendly as the Nagare styling may have been, we're happy that Mazdas won't be smiling at us anymore.

Here, we can clearly see the automaker's new corporate face with prominent details like a larger, more upright grille with a strong character line that extends into the headlamp surrounds. Around back, there's a rakish rump design with taillamps that appear to have been pulled straight off of the larger CX-5 crossover.

Under that shapely new skin, expect a full suite of Skyactiv technologies to be employed – everything from lightweight materials to more efficient powertrains. Expect Mazda's 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D diesel engine to be the breadwinner elsewhere in the world. Here in the U.S., it's unclear if we'll even get the wagon variant, let alone the diesel. Mazda has confirmed that the Skyactiv-D engine will be coming to the States at some point, though what vehicle it will reside in is still unknown.

The Mazda6 wagon will reportedly debut at the Moscow Motor Show at the end of August with the sedan to show up sometime thereafter.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/06/n...ish-new-shape/
Old 07-06-12, 01:31 PM
Hoovey689

Stylish. I really hope the Mazda6 does well for them. It's a really nice car that's usually forgotten among the Camry's, Altima's, and Accord's
Old 07-06-12, 02:03 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The styling of the 2nd gen model totally put me to sleep. Completely. Hopefully they get it right on the third gen. The first gen cars were extremely popular in my area but I rarely see second gen ones.
Old 07-06-12, 03:31 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

outside it looks great... inside though, CX-5 interior? Thats going to be step backwards... that screen looks bad in CX-5 and it will look even worse in sedan.

I always wondered why Mazda 6 sold so poorly in USA... it sells great in Eastern Europe.
Old 07-07-12, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
I always wondered why Mazda 6 sold so poorly in USA... it sells great in Eastern Europe.
With the exception of Subaru's Outback and Forester and some limited Volvo XC70 sales, Americans just don't seem to want conventional wagons anymore that are done on sedan platforms. They seem to want car-based SUVs.....which, ironically, are also done on sedan-platforms. Some years ago, Mazda tried selling separate Mazda6 5-door wagon and hatchback models in the U.S. alongside the 4-door sedan.....and had to drop both after a couple of years from poor sales, keeping only the sedan.

An AWD Mazdaspeed6 sedan was also briefly sold here (some auto pundits called it an adult Evo/STI).....but, like the wagon and hatchback, didn't last very long, partially due to its limited 5000-a year production run.
Old 07-07-12, 10:00 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
With the exception of Subaru's Outback and Forester and some limited Volvo XC70 sales, Americans just don't seem to want conventional wagons anymore that are done on sedan platforms. They seem to want car-based SUVs.....which, ironically, are also done on sedan-platforms. Some years ago, Mazda tried selling separate Mazda6 5-door wagon and hatchback models in the U.S. alongside the 4-door sedan.....and had to drop both after a couple of years from poor sales, keeping only the sedan.

An AWD Mazdaspeed6 sedan was also briefly sold here (some auto pundits called it an adult Evo/STI).....but, like the wagon and hatchback, didn't last very long, partially due to its limited 5000-a year production run.
My friend has an AWD Mazdaspeed6 Sedan 6M. It is an absolute blast to drive, and rather refined. A fun precursor to the turbo Sonatas, Optimas, Fusions, Malibus that follow. With the exception of the Fusion, non can be had in AWD which is a great selling point and advantage IMO
Old 07-10-12, 05:17 PM
Hoovey689

first teaser:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/10/f...teaser-is-out/
Old 07-10-12, 05:24 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice very reminiscent of the 1st mazda6
Old 07-10-12, 05:52 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

if they're dropping the big smiling front style, that will be a big step forward
Old 07-10-12, 07:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

yeah but dont you have Mazda6 sedan in USA?
Old 07-10-12, 08:16 PM
Hoovey689

yes we do. But only in FWD I4 or V6 guise. Miss the old Mazdaspeed6 AWD 6M 2.3 Turbo
Old 07-11-12, 01:41 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-11-12, 04:54 AM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
The styling of the 2nd gen model totally put me to sleep. Completely. Hopefully they get it right on the third gen. The first gen cars were extremely popular in my area but I rarely see second gen ones.
I'll second that, the 1G cars were really nice with much ‘zoom-zoom’ – And I was especially fond of the 5 Door and Wagon varieties. I think Mazda was trying to make a Camry/Accord/Fusion competitor with the 2G and while it may have been a decent car, it wasn't the stand-out that Mazda needed.

I too rarely see the 2G cars around here, although it could just be that they tend to blend in much more than the 1G.
Old 07-11-12, 08:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
yes we do. But only in FWD I4 or V6 guise. Miss the old Mazdaspeed6 AWD 6M 2.3 Turbo

As Hoovey notes, only with a N/A 4 or V6. No more (as of now) turbos, AWD, hatchbacks, or wagons....unless they decide to bring this new thread-topic wagon back stateside. And, out of five current trim-levels, only the top-line Grand Touring S gets the V6....so it sems that fuel-economy is playing a role. Some American-market mid-size sedans, of course, have dropped V6s altogether......sometimes substituting turbo-4s.
Old 07-11-12, 09:11 PM
Arcadian
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I very nearly bought a Mazda 6 wagon before I got my Lexus GS. I would have jumped at an IS300 Sport-cross, but they are so rare.

Quick Reply: Next-gen Mazda6 wagon reveals its stylish new shape