Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > Car Chat
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

View Poll Results: What color should ArmyofOne paint his calipers?
Color Match all the way! 3 27.27%
Flame Red 1 9.09%
High-Gloss Black 6 54.55%
Leave it stock (silver) 1 9.09%
Other (please post in thread) 0 0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Painting Calipers...What color should I choose?

Old 07-06-12, 01:44 AM   #1
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.
Trader Score: (0)

Send a message via AIM to ArmyofOne Send a message via MSN to ArmyofOne Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyofOne
Default Painting Calipers...What color should I choose?

Ok CL I need your help. Here is my truck:

Click the image to open in full size.

Yes I know its not a Lexus, but many of you enthusiasts out there like trucks too. I recently ordered a Brake kit with Slotted/Drilled Rotors and Ceramic Pads. When I install them, I want to paint my calipers. Whatever color we choose, I have the following criteria I have to meet.

1. MUST be pleasing to the eye. No Yellow or hot pink.
2. has to flow well with the rest of the truck, Whatever color we choose, my engine bay pieces will be done in the same color, and would also like to eventually follow the theme into the interior.
3. Must go well with blue, the black fender flares that I am getting in the near future, and Chrome, as these 3 accents are not changing.

For my options I was thinking:

-Deep Water Blue Pearl (color matched). I can get the blue in a high-temp application easliy enough, at autozone or online. Duplicolor makes a Metallic blue paint that when used in conjunction with a high-heat primer, will take temps up to 800 degrees. If my brakes are getting that hot, it might be time to stop and let 'em cool. It flows well with the rest of the truck, and will bring attention to the Slotted/Drilled rotors. In addition to that it meets all of my above criteria.

-Red...not to sure on this one. It could be a disaster, or it might look really good. Basically, I have nothing else red on the truck except the taillights (which will be tinted eventually), and the embroidered logo on the seat covers. Will it flow well? I dont know. I could continue it into the engine bay, but I don't know about the interior.

-Black. Easy, will flow well with the trim, but in all honestly, it wont draw the attention to the brakes and it wont "complete" the look. If I was going to go Black, I might as well stay stock. I am not sure. It will for sure match the fender flares though.

My biggest concern with the Deep Water Blue Pearl is that there may already be too much blue on the truck. But I have enough chrome and black that it balances out well, so IDK. I am torn and this is why I want some opinions. Hell, maybe someone could even throw up a photoshop or 3.

If you have any other suggestions as well, I am open to them. Thanks for the help folks!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Limited Wagon-loaded, slammed, tinted, tunes and commuting. 170k miles and counting...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-12 at 05:43 AM..
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 01:47 AM   #2
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Send a message via AIM to ArmyofOne Send a message via MSN to ArmyofOne Send a message via Yahoo to ArmyofOne

Damn, Need a clubhouse mod to move this to car chat. I had both forums up in different tabs and I posted a new thread in the wrong one. Thanks.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Limited Wagon-loaded, slammed, tinted, tunes and commuting. 170k miles and counting...
Old 07-06-12, 02:06 AM   #3
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator
Trader Score: (4)

From your choice, blue is the way to go, red is a big no no. But you should consider gold too, it might look killer.

C L U B L E X U S
2013 BMW 750I M-Sport 2014 BMW X1 2013 HONDA CIVIC
Had 25 lexuses for last 9 years.
blacksc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 02:08 AM   #4
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

I'm biased so I'll say BLACK
Blackraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 02:09 AM   #5
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

I second gold. A deep metallic gold.
RX_330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 02:13 AM   #6
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

You might want to consider silver or gray. I'm not sure I like blue since your car is also blue. It would just look like a 16 year old kid with matching short and shoes color.

Android, Nikon & Rice powered
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 02:38 AM   #7
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Ohhh or maybe this?

Blue/Orange goes well together...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-12 at 02:43 AM..
Old 07-06-12, 02:59 AM   #8
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

For Comparison, thats what the DWBP looks like under direct light (camera flash in this case)
Old 07-06-12, 04:42 AM   #9
TripleL
No Substitute

Given the wheel design and the amount of visibility of the calipers you have I say go with a nice red. I think it will compliment the blue nicely and will pop just enough to be seen.

Also if you want to get fancy do the calipers in red, then color match the writing on them with the blue from your truck
TLN #411 ~ Got Goat?

Remembering AsianGirl007

Join the CL Folding Team and letís help find a cure for cancer. Please click here for more information
TripleL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 06:15 AM   #10
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant
Trader Score: (5)

No red or black. The former is too campy, the latter is too tepid.

I'd go with a contrasting orange or bronze.

Lexus (you know...), Ducati Multistrada 1200
PhilipMSPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 06:18 AM   #11
LexFather
Trader Score: ()

Stock brakes..go with black..its adds a clean detailed look to me.
Old 07-06-12, 07:42 AM   #12
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Remember, with those black flares blue would be well separated from the body color, so blue wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Traditionally it's not a good idea to introduce too many other colors to the palette, seeing as you've already established blue, black, and chrome, but if you are careful introducing another color, since the calipers are relatively small, you can probably get away with something outside these bounds. Traditionally, yellow is the complimentary color to blue . . . but a closer look at the color wheel that designers use reveals that orange could be quite comfortable with a dark blue while providing the "pop" of color that would relieve your existing blue-black look.

Looking at the color wheel, your DWBP would seem to be able to handle orange quite well and certainly be unique. Rather than adopt the Porsche yellow or red that every boy-racer wants to add 10mph to his ride, here's a chance to be creative.

Red is out, silver/chrome could be confused with the rims and rotors, and gold would probably be a little too '70's for you. Black would be a rather industrial choice, but would make the calipers tend to disappear in the shadows. That's not necessarily bad, but I'd go with either blue or orange.

To try your colors, buy a small can of your color finalists and paint a piece of shirt cardboard roughly the size and shape of the calipers on one side and stuff them behind your rims. Back off and see what you think. Remember, you can always change your mind later.
TLN #42 -The Meaning of Life

Lil4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 08:15 AM   #13
tmf2004
10 years on Clublexus
Trader Score: (12)

anthonymichael34

powdercoated orange would be different... Something like the Ksport BBK color...

2011 Vossen Clublexus Contest Winner

1999 GS400
2012 Kia Optima SWP TURBO

Past: 88 Samurai--87 mustang LX GT conv--95 Mustang GT auto--97 Lexus Es300
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtotheJ View Post
Drone is overrated......let the V8 breathe!
tmf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 08:18 AM   #14
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Brakes arent stock Mike, the Calipers are, but the lines will be braided Stainless Steel, and the Rotors are drilled/slotted. Cant go BBK cause I don't have big wheels and tires LOL, besides on a truck like mine its pointless. Shes a work truck, for towing lol.
Old 07-06-12, 08:22 AM   #15
ArmyofOne
U.S. Army-Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil4X View Post
Remember, with those black flares blue would be well separated from the body color, so blue wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Traditionally it's not a good idea to introduce too many other colors to the palette, seeing as you've already established blue, black, and chrome, but if you are careful introducing another color, since the calipers are relatively small, you can probably get away with something outside these bounds. Traditionally, yellow is the complimentary color to blue . . . but a closer look at the color wheel that designers use reveals that orange could be quite comfortable with a dark blue while providing the "pop" of color that would relieve your existing blue-black look.

Looking at the color wheel, your DWBP would seem to be able to handle orange quite well and certainly be unique. Rather than adopt the Porsche yellow or red that every boy-racer wants to add 10mph to his ride, here's a chance to be creative.

Red is out, silver/chrome could be confused with the rims and rotors, and gold would probably be a little too '70's for you. Black would be a rather industrial choice, but would make the calipers tend to disappear in the shadows. That's not necessarily bad, but I'd go with either blue or orange.

To try your colors, buy a small can of your color finalists and paint a piece of shirt cardboard roughly the size and shape of the calipers on one side and stuff them behind your rims. Back off and see what you think. Remember, you can always change your mind later.
Hmm, that is a really really good idea. I think I might do that! Paint a piece of carboard and then get an idea. Whatever paint I dont use, take back, Brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2004 View Post
powdercoated orange would be different... Something like the Ksport BBK color...
Powdercoating is not an option, I dont want to afford it, and I don't have another set of calipers. I have to have the truck running with no more than 24hrs gap.
Old 07-06-12, 08:22 AM

Tags
calipers, car, color, colors, complimentary, creative, designs, metalic, orange, paint, pearl, sc400, silver, wanna, wheel