Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: What color should ArmyofOne paint his calipers?
Color Match all the way!
27.27%
Flame Red
9.09%
High-Gloss Black
54.55%
Leave it stock (silver)
9.09%
Other (please post in thread)
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Painting Calipers...What color should I choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 01:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Painting Calipers...What color should I choose?

Ok CL I need your help. Here is my truck:

Yes I know its not a Lexus, but many of you enthusiasts out there like trucks too. I recently ordered a Brake kit with Slotted/Drilled Rotors and Ceramic Pads. When I install them, I want to paint my calipers. Whatever color we choose, I have the following criteria I have to meet.

1. MUST be pleasing to the eye. No Yellow or hot pink.
2. has to flow well with the rest of the truck, Whatever color we choose, my engine bay pieces will be done in the same color, and would also like to eventually follow the theme into the interior.
3. Must go well with blue, the black fender flares that I am getting in the near future, and Chrome, as these 3 accents are not changing.

For my options I was thinking:

-Deep Water Blue Pearl (color matched). I can get the blue in a high-temp application easliy enough, at autozone or online. Duplicolor makes a Metallic blue paint that when used in conjunction with a high-heat primer, will take temps up to 800 degrees. If my brakes are getting that hot, it might be time to stop and let 'em cool. It flows well with the rest of the truck, and will bring attention to the Slotted/Drilled rotors. In addition to that it meets all of my above criteria.

-Red...not to sure on this one. It could be a disaster, or it might look really good. Basically, I have nothing else red on the truck except the taillights (which will be tinted eventually), and the embroidered logo on the seat covers. Will it flow well? I dont know. I could continue it into the engine bay, but I don't know about the interior.

-Black. Easy, will flow well with the trim, but in all honestly, it wont draw the attention to the brakes and it wont "complete" the look. If I was going to go Black, I might as well stay stock. I am not sure. It will for sure match the fender flares though.

My biggest concern with the Deep Water Blue Pearl is that there may already be too much blue on the truck. But I have enough chrome and black that it balances out well, so IDK. I am torn and this is why I want some opinions. Hell, maybe someone could even throw up a photoshop or 3.

If you have any other suggestions as well, I am open to them. Thanks for the help folks!

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-12 at 05:43 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 01:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Damn, Need a clubhouse mod to move this to car chat. I had both forums up in different tabs and I posted a new thread in the wrong one. Thanks.
Old 07-06-12, 02:06 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From your choice, blue is the way to go, red is a big no no. But you should consider gold too, it might look killer.
Old 07-06-12, 02:08 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm biased so I'll say BLACK
Old 07-06-12, 02:09 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I second gold. A deep metallic gold.
Old 07-06-12, 02:13 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You might want to consider silver or gray. I'm not sure I like blue since your car is also blue. It would just look like a 16 year old kid with matching short and shoes color.
Old 07-06-12, 02:38 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Ohhh or maybe this?

Blue/Orange goes well together...

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 07-06-12 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 02:59 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

For Comparison, thats what the DWBP looks like under direct light (camera flash in this case)
Old 07-06-12, 04:42 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Given the wheel design and the amount of visibility of the calipers you have I say go with a nice red. I think it will compliment the blue nicely and will pop just enough to be seen.

Also if you want to get fancy do the calipers in red, then color match the writing on them with the blue from your truck
Old 07-06-12, 06:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No red or black. The former is too campy, the latter is too tepid.

I'd go with a contrasting orange or bronze.
Old 07-06-12, 06:18 AM
LexFather

Stock brakes..go with black..its adds a clean detailed look to me.

Old 07-06-12, 07:42 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Remember, with those black flares blue would be well separated from the body color, so blue wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Traditionally it's not a good idea to introduce too many other colors to the palette, seeing as you've already established blue, black, and chrome, but if you are careful introducing another color, since the calipers are relatively small, you can probably get away with something outside these bounds. Traditionally, yellow is the complimentary color to blue . . . but a closer look at the color wheel that designers use reveals that orange could be quite comfortable with a dark blue while providing the "pop" of color that would relieve your existing blue-black look.

Looking at the color wheel, your DWBP would seem to be able to handle orange quite well and certainly be unique. Rather than adopt the Porsche yellow or red that every boy-racer wants to add 10mph to his ride, here's a chance to be creative.

Red is out, silver/chrome could be confused with the rims and rotors, and gold would probably be a little too '70's for you. Black would be a rather industrial choice, but would make the calipers tend to disappear in the shadows. That's not necessarily bad, but I'd go with either blue or orange.

To try your colors, buy a small can of your color finalists and paint a piece of shirt cardboard roughly the size and shape of the calipers on one side and stuff them behind your rims. Back off and see what you think. Remember, you can always change your mind later.
Old 07-06-12, 08:15 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

powdercoated orange would be different... Something like the Ksport BBK color...
Old 07-06-12, 08:18 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Brakes arent stock Mike, the Calipers are, but the lines will be braided Stainless Steel, and the Rotors are drilled/slotted. Cant go BBK cause I don't have big wheels and tires LOL, besides on a truck like mine its pointless. Shes a work truck, for towing lol.
Old 07-06-12, 08:22 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Remember, with those black flares blue would be well separated from the body color, so blue wouldn't be a bad choice at all. Traditionally it's not a good idea to introduce too many other colors to the palette, seeing as you've already established blue, black, and chrome, but if you are careful introducing another color, since the calipers are relatively small, you can probably get away with something outside these bounds. Traditionally, yellow is the complimentary color to blue . . . but a closer look at the color wheel that designers use reveals that orange could be quite comfortable with a dark blue while providing the "pop" of color that would relieve your existing blue-black look.

Looking at the color wheel, your DWBP would seem to be able to handle orange quite well and certainly be unique. Rather than adopt the Porsche yellow or red that every boy-racer wants to add 10mph to his ride, here's a chance to be creative.

Red is out, silver/chrome could be confused with the rims and rotors, and gold would probably be a little too '70's for you. Black would be a rather industrial choice, but would make the calipers tend to disappear in the shadows. That's not necessarily bad, but I'd go with either blue or orange.

To try your colors, buy a small can of your color finalists and paint a piece of shirt cardboard roughly the size and shape of the calipers on one side and stuff them behind your rims. Back off and see what you think. Remember, you can always change your mind later.
Hmm, that is a really really good idea. I think I might do that! Paint a piece of carboard and then get an idea. Whatever paint I dont use, take back, Brilliant!

Originally Posted by tmf2004
powdercoated orange would be different... Something like the Ksport BBK color...
Powdercoating is not an option, I dont want to afford it, and I don't have another set of calipers. I have to have the truck running with no more than 24hrs gap.

Quick Reply: Painting Calipers...What color should I choose?