Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

has anyone purchased a car out of state?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 09:00 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default has anyone purchased a car out of state?

Shopping for new cars and there is one in Oregon that I am thinking of buying.
I am not doing this to avoid tax, I know I have to pay it when I register it with the CA DMV.

My question is how do I get my title when I buy the car? I know title usually come from DMV, so what do I get that proves I own the car?
I plan to pay up front no financing.

Thanks
Old 06-29-12, 09:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you buying it from dealership, they will provide you sales agreement and greenslip to register the car, but make sure to notify them that you are registering the car in another state prior of buying. If you buying from private party, just get the title from them, and register in your own state. DMV will mail you the title with your name on it after you register it.
Old 06-29-12, 09:15 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Yes I am sure will not be registering the car in their state, because I will not be paying their registration fees.
I will pay them about $30 for a temp. permit, no tax, BS document fee, that should be all.

Also when you buy a car how do you get insurance for it when it's sunday and insurance office closed?
Do I have rider coverage from my regular insurance incase something happens on the drive home.
Old 06-29-12, 09:49 PM
Corey140
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Yes I am sure will not be registering the car in their state, because I will not be paying their registration fees.
I will pay them about $30 for a temp. permit, no tax, BS document fee, that should be all.

Also when you buy a car how do you get insurance for it when it's sunday and insurance office closed?
Do I have rider coverage from my regular insurance incase something happens on the drive home.
Are you sure you can bring the car back to CA? I read on another forum that CA is very strict on bringing out of state cars into their state.

Yes, you are covered for 30 days by your insurance company. Just make sure you have your policy number handy and a copy of your insurance card with you. The dealer will ask them to fax over verification that you have insurance.
Old 06-29-12, 09:51 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corey140
Are you sure you can bring the car back to CA? I read on another forum that CA is very strict on bringing out of state cars into their state.

Yes, you are covered for 30 days by your insurance company. Just make sure you have your policy number handy and a copy of your insurance card with you. The dealer will ask them to fax over verification that you have insurance.
The DMV site says the vehicle has to be 50 state legal, this isn't a Skyline R32 or something.
What I am not sure is if I have to smog it before registering in CA. it isn't clear on the DMV site.
Old 06-29-12, 11:30 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

I am an agent, and I sugest my client to take down the VIN and get ins from me first before they go out of state to pick up the car, if it's a done deal. Or if you already have full coverage ins, there is automatic coverage transfer to newly acquired vehicle for 30 days, just bring your id card with you.
Old 06-30-12, 08:38 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Last time I bought a car in CA (1994), the dealer said they either had to ship the car or have their driver drive it across the state line where you'd meet a notary to witness the transaction. We could not legally drive the car back into CA for something like 6 mos. or until we titled it in another state.
Old 06-30-12, 12:06 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

My experience says otherwise, I think it really depends on dealership, last time I bought my LS430 from a dealership in Los Angeles, I just had to fly there, drop the cash on the table, they issued me a 1 day single trip permit, gave me the sales slip, and I am on my way back to Las Vegas. The next day I went to my local DMV, pay the tax, registration fee and got my plate.
Old 06-30-12, 12:36 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For the color combo I wanted I bought my ES UL from a Lexus dealer in VA.Did all the paperwork there.Had 30 day temp plates and drove home.I received my registration from the VA dealer in a month..
They sent the sales tax and paperwork to NJ and NJ sends them the registration and plates.Then sent the items to me in about 30 days.
Old 06-30-12, 02:46 PM
silverlexg
Driver

Im in the process of buying a 2010 ISF out of Utah - I'm located in Kansas so we'll see how it goes :-)
Old 06-30-12, 05:42 PM
AMGWNAB
Rookie

Seller signs the title, you take it to your local DMV. It's simple.

-Will
Old 07-01-12, 07:10 PM
GinoC
Driver School Candidate

It's pretty easy. I bought 2 cars this month from out of state (an RX330 in FL and a BMW 335i in NJ) and it was smooth for the the most part.

RX330: I sent the funds via wire transfer. The dealer sent the paperwork out to me and I had it notarized with a notary from my area. Sent it back and the vehicle was released to my shipping company. About 2 days later, I received the previous owners Florida Title along with a notarized bill of sale from the dealer. Took it to the DMV and registered it. Sales tax and registration were paid to CA DMV.

BMW: Put down a deposit. They sent me a Bill of Sale in which I signed and returned notarized with the Cashiers Check. Thought it was all good to go until my shipper showed up and they wouldn't release the car. They told me I still needed to pay sales tax. I told them NO because I knew for sure that I did not need to pay. I went and got the paperwork from the New Jersey Dept of Taxation, filled it out and sent it to them and basically told them to call the the Taxation Dept if they had any problems. The form was called the ST-10.

Both cars were shipped and if you decide to go this way, I HIGHLY recommend Montway Auto Shippers (you can get an instant quote directly through their website) and their service has been outstanding! The cheapest around! I used them both times.

If you need any help, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Last edited by GinoC; 07-01-12 at 07:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-02-12, 05:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Getting a title for a new car purchased out of state should be no problem....especially if you pay cash for the car and nobody else has a lien on it.

And, as you note, it sometimes makes sense to buy out of state. Though I live in the VA suburbs of D.C., I sometimes refer potential customers right across the river to suburban MD dealerships because, as VA residents, they save two ways. First, by paying the lower VA sales-tax on new cars (by law, you pay the tax on the state you live in or are going to register the car in, not necessarily where you bought it), and, Second, MD law limits that bulls**t dealer-processing fee to only $99, where in VA it is typically several hundred dollars....VA has no legal limit on it. Of course, other factors sometimes have to be taken into account as well......like what kind of a deal you are getting from that particular dealership, no matter where it is located. That could (?), in some cases, overtake factors like the sales-tax and dealer-processing fees. So could deals on list-price/no-haggle sales like on new Scions.

Last, a word of caution. Do not make your buying-decision based on the nonsense that passes for TV/radio new-car-dealership ads. Those ding-a-ling ads insult not only the intelligence of most humans, but of apes as well.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-02-12 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-02-12, 08:20 PM
98Supra
Driver School Candidate

I will usually overnight a cashiers check for the amount and in return have the seller overnight me the signed title back. Then I will have my shipper pick the car up and bring it to me.