Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Used Lexus Mileage Discrepancy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 09:00 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Used Lexus Mileage Discrepancy

Hi. I found a 06 GS300 at a local car lot today for about 14k. I test drove the car, and it seems like everything is good except for a huge rip in the leather on the side pillar next to the driver side. When I asked the dealer for the maintenance records for the car, they told me that the car was taken to the Lexus dealership throughout it's life to get the service done, but they don't have records of it. They told me they could get the records if needed. They printed out an Autocheck and I found a huge discrepancy with the mileage. The car itself has 121k on the odometer when I test drove it today. When I looked the the Autocheck, it listed the last record change in 3-25-2012 with a mileage of 49000. I questioned this, and they appeared to be caught by surprise. They then printed out the title and they told me the story of how they acquired the car. They said it was a 1 owner car, but they bought this car from the Carmax auction in May 2012. They said that it was probably a clerical mistake by a lazy pencil pusher down at the DMV. I agreed that I thought that it almost impossible for someone to put 72k miles within 3 months, but I told them my concern of this in the future. IF i were to sell this car later down the road, and the next person to look at a Carfax report, they would see exactly the same thing I see.

They told me to go down to the DMV and see how I could get this changed, but while he was telling me this, he was doing the typical used car sales pitch. "Oh you can use this as a bargaining chip with the owner who JUST so happens to be here in the back. He's almost never here." It seems to me like it most likely is a mistake because i can't see how someone can rack of THAT much miles in that short of a period, but how likely is it that the DMV made a mistake somewhere, and how likely would it be for them to change it?

Any advice?

TL;DR
- Found a 06 GS300 w/ 120k Miles at a local lot for $14k
- Test drove it. Drove smooth, everything works as expected only center pillar (between driver door and rear door) has a rip in leather.
- Asked for maint. records, was told that it could be obtained at local dealerships. (didnt offer to get it themselves)
- Showed me the Autocheck record which shows 49k miles on 3-25-2012.
- When the lot bought the car from a Carmax auction, it shows 119k miles on 5-27-2012.
- Was told that it was a clerical mistake on the DMVs part. Was told I could ask the DMV to look into the mistake and take care of it. (Again, didn't offer to do it themselves)
- Typical used car salesman pitched the car, told me I had a "really good bargaining chip" to ask the owner for a lower price.
- Ended up telling them I wanted to do a little more research first with the local dealerships to ask for maint. records before proceeding.

My question is a mistake like this even possible, or is the dealer hiding something? Everything else on the car checked out. No accidents, no salvage title. Vin checks out. 72k miles in 3 mos is a little ridiculous...but not impossible. You would need to drive from California to Maine 12 times back and forth in 3 months to get that much mileage! I've heard of rolling back odometers...but rolling them forward??

Last edited by Mischievious GS; 06-28-12 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-28-12, 04:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

maybe call the dmv on the 49k vs. 120k, and i'd definitely call the lexus dealer to see if it was serviced there. if both checks out, then maybe it's ok, but i wouldn't believe a word the sales person says.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-28-12 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-28-12, 05:50 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are serious about the car, get the VIN and register it as yours on the owners section of lexus.com. You can then view the dealer service history which will include the mileage of each service visit.
Old 06-28-12, 06:00 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
If you are serious about the car, get the VIN and register it as yours on the owners section of lexus.com. You can then view the dealer service history which will include the mileage of each service visit.
X2, you can check the service history online no need for the dealer. If you want more detailed service history with notes, then you have to go to the dealer. But, looking online will give you an idea of the basics, as to what has been done to the car.
Old 06-28-12, 06:38 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mischievious GS
Hi. I found a 06 GS300 at a local car lot today for about 14k. I test drove the car, and it seems like everything is good except for a huge rip in the leather on the side pillar next to the driver side. When I asked the dealer for the maintenance records for the car, they told me that the car was taken to the Lexus dealership throughout it's life to get the service done, but they don't have records of it. They told me they could get the records if needed. They printed out an Autocheck and I found a huge discrepancy with the mileage. The car itself has 121k on the odometer when I test drove it today. When I looked the the Autocheck, it listed the last record change in 3-25-2012 with a mileage of 49000. I questioned this, and they appeared to be caught by surprise. They then printed out the title and they told me the story of how they acquired the car. They said it was a 1 owner car, but they bought this car from the Carmax auction in May 2012. They said that it was probably a clerical mistake by a lazy pencil pusher down at the DMV. I agreed that I thought that it almost impossible for someone to put 72k miles within 3 months, but I told them my concern of this in the future. IF i were to sell this car later down the road, and the next person to look at a Carfax report, they would see exactly the same thing I see.

They told me to go down to the DMV and see how I could get this changed, but while he was telling me this, he was doing the typical used car sales pitch. "Oh you can use this as a bargaining chip with the owner who JUST so happens to be here in the back. He's almost never here." It seems to me like it most likely is a mistake because i can't see how someone can rack of THAT much miles in that short of a period, but how likely is it that the DMV made a mistake somewhere, and how likely would it be for them to change it?

Any advice?

TL;DR
- Found a 06 GS300 w/ 120k Miles at a local lot for $14k
- Test drove it. Drove smooth, everything works as expected only center pillar (between driver door and rear door) has a rip in leather.
- Asked for maint. records, was told that it could be obtained at local dealerships. (didnt offer to get it themselves)
- Showed me the Autocheck record which shows 49k miles on 3-25-2012.
- When the lot bought the car from a Carmax auction, it shows 119k miles on 5-27-2012.
- Was told that it was a clerical mistake on the DMVs part. Was told I could ask the DMV to look into the mistake and take care of it. (Again, didn't offer to do it themselves)
- Typical used car salesman pitched the car, told me I had a "really good bargaining chip" to ask the owner for a lower price.
- Ended up telling them I wanted to do a little more research first with the local dealerships to ask for maint. records before proceeding.

My question is a mistake like this even possible, or is the dealer hiding something? Everything else on the car checked out. No accidents, no salvage title. Vin checks out. 72k miles in 3 mos is a little ridiculous...but not impossible. You would need to drive from California to Maine 12 times back and forth in 3 months to get that much mileage! I've heard of rolling back odometers...but rolling them forward??

most important is that it wasnt rolled back... so check the service history and thats it. I wouldnt be too worried actually but i would just check.

Otherwise, wouldnt be good for the car to be driven on highways only for 80% of the life? That would be excellent :-)
Old 06-28-12, 06:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With all the questions about it,I would walk away from this car.
I also wouldn't buy a 7 year old GS with 120K miles for $14K but that's me.
Old 06-28-12, 06:53 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

The worst you can get is 120K, if you buy it that is....
Old 06-28-12, 08:12 AM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like others suggested, you need to get the service records from Lexus. That will have all the information you need on it. Do not believe a thing that you are being told by the seller. Everything in your story sounds shady.
Old 06-28-12, 03:33 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. I did check the service history on Lexus.com and saw where everything was performed. I see that all the major service was performed on time, but does anyone know when the timing belt/water pump service is done? I remember on my 1GS, it was recommended at 75K, but for the 2JZ, they told me I could wait all the way til 120k if nothing was wrong with it. I see on the history that the 75k - 105k service was done, but no notes on there being a changed timing belt.

Also, IF i were to decide to buy this car, would anyone have a clue at what price point I should ask for seeing as there is a huge discrepancy with the mileage on the title? The service records do indicate that the mileage on the title is wrong.
Old 06-28-12, 05:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I did check the service history on Lexus.com and saw where everything was performed. I see that all the major service was performed on time, but does anyone know when the timing belt/water pump service is done? I remember on my 1GS, it was recommended at 75K, but for the 2JZ, they told me I could wait all the way til 120k if nothing was wrong with it. I see on the history that the 75k - 105k service was done, but no notes on there being a changed timing belt.

Also, IF i were to decide to buy this car, would anyone have a clue at what price point I should ask for seeing as there is a huge discrepancy with the mileage on the title? The service records do indicate that the mileage on the title is wrong.
can you actually have the discount because someone at DMV made mistake?

Now if they told you 40k and it is 120k, thats different story... but this?
Old 06-28-12, 05:39 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Well, I could use it as a way to get a better price than 14k. It seems it was a mistake when they bought the car and no one else seemed to catch it. Now, if I told them that it'll affect the way I can sell the car in the future, they'll probably be more inclined to give it to me at a lower price I'm guessing. I'll probably bring up the fact that it hasn't had the 120k maint done either.
Old 06-28-12, 06:47 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I did check the service history on Lexus.com and saw where everything was performed. I see that all the major service was performed on time, but does anyone know when the timing belt/water pump service is done? I remember on my 1GS, it was recommended at 75K, but for the 2JZ, they told me I could wait all the way til 120k if nothing was wrong with it. I see on the history that the 75k - 105k service was done, but no notes on there being a changed timing belt..
You should be able to call the Lexus dealer and find out exactly what was done for each invoice which is what I did because sometimes the description is not clear on the website.
Old 06-28-12, 06:48 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06 should still be eligible for CPO warranty. Be careful about the dealer comparing prices to cars that have a 3-year warranty from Lexus that they are not offering. You might be able to pick up a CPO for the same price.
Old 06-28-12, 09:50 PM
Mischievious GS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ty419
06 should still be eligible for CPO warranty. Be careful about the dealer comparing prices to cars that have a 3-year warranty from Lexus that they are not offering. You might be able to pick up a CPO for the same price.

Really? I've been looking everywhere for a used Lexus, and every 2006 GS i've encountered offered at a Lexus dealership is usually above $20k. Every $15k GS has usually been a higher mileage one offered by private owners or smaller car lots. I'll go double check, but can anyone else confirm seeing a CPO 3GS for around 15k? If so, i'll definitely wait if theres a chance that'll happen...lol.
Old 06-29-12, 05:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty419
Lexus CPO

6 model years or newer/less than 70,000 miles.
When does that 7th year begin?Sept?
That '06 GS is probably over on miles.

Quick Reply: Used Lexus Mileage Discrepancy