Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next BMW M5 to drop manual transmission option

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Unhappy Next BMW M5 to drop manual transmission option

I understand why the logic indicates don't sell it but I thought luxury was not about logic? Now make no mistake the new M5 is a beast of a vehicle and utterly superb but to see;

1. 7 series based, heavy as hell
2. Fake engine note
3. No Manual

Just really leaves me and tons of others scratching our heads. One of the "M" brands best known traits and bragging points was offering a manual when others don't. Now they are like AMG/RS. Then again its Europe leading the charge of dropping manuals. I would think a 15% take rate is rather high and good!

I got to check one out at Bimmerfest and while again handsome, powerful, luxurious some of the mythical nature of the car is gone forever.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/21/n...ission-option/

There is something very right about a rear-wheel-drive sports sedan with over 500 horsepower and a manual transmission, and yet few vehicles check those boxes quite like the BMW M5. Unfortunately, most M5 buyers prefer to leave their left foot out of the gear-shifting equation, which is leading BMW to lose the manual tranny option altogether in favor of a dual-clutch-only approach.

Inside Line reports that the next M5, and the M6 for that matter, will not feature a manual transmission option. BMW M-brand Engineering chief Albert Biermann reportedly told IL that manual-equipped M5 models are topping out at 15 percent of total sales, making the MT a money-loser for the brand. Biermann claims that the volume of manual transmission buyers makes it all but impossible to make another three-pedal M5, adding "nobody wants it in Europe or anywhere else, so this will be the last time we do it."

This is most definitely not good news for stick shift-loving enthusiasts, but at the same time we can hardly argue against Biermann's point. There's no sense in offering a no-charge manual option if the vast majority of buyers don't want it. Fortunately, the M3 doesn't suffer from the same problem, so the M5's baby brother will continue to offer a row-your-own option.

Old 06-22-12, 03:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

confused, when they say "next m5" do they mean f10 or whatever next generation?

well, ever since they came out with x5m and x6m, we knew bmw m has become amg

that's why no matter what people are saying about the f10 m5, i am still eying on the e60 m5
Old 06-22-12, 03:21 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The next gen, this Gen they still offer manual for sure.

I understand why they decide to do it though, almost all buyer on a new M5 would want an auto, they just want a powerful machine with big power and enjoy sprint driving once in a while. While M3 buyers are more into racing, autocross, etc., a real sports car. So M3 will always have manual tranny.
Old 06-22-12, 03:31 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dual clutch or 8/10spd Auto with paddle shifters should be fine.
Old 06-22-12, 03:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Not surprising. The next gen of vehicles will be hard to come by in a stick shift
Old 06-22-12, 04:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now having manual doesn't mean better performance anymore, because most auto can be faster than manual cars. But the enjoyment of rolling your own gear and press the clutch pedal is irreplaceable.
Old 06-22-12, 11:46 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

The people buying these cars could care less about a manual, and I doubt BMW is looking at what used car buyers of M5 want, it sucks but move on
Old 06-23-12, 06:46 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

One less reason to buy a BMW M ...
Old 06-23-12, 07:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

this is why I still love the Z06 and ZR1, manual only - keep the whimps out and leaves the car to purists

Last edited by bagwell; 06-24-12 at 09:27 AM.
Old 06-23-12, 10:17 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

BMW M-brand Engineering chief Albert Biermann reportedly told IL that manual-equipped M5 models are topping out at 15 percent of total sales, making the MT a money-loser for the brand. Biermann claims that the volume of manual transmission buyers makes it all but impossible to make another three-pedal M5, adding "nobody wants it in Europe or anywhere else, so this will be the last time we do it."

This is most definitely not good news for stick shift-loving enthusiasts, but at the same time we can hardly argue against Biermann's point. There's no sense in offering a no-charge manual option if the vast majority of buyers don't want it.
Right there.....that says it all. All one has to do is read.

There are a number of things in the automotive marketing buisness that I'd like to see different myself, but, in some cases, I can understand why automakers do them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-23-12 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-23-12, 10:50 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

I never understand M5 in manual these days. DSG is so much better and M5 is a heavy car to enjoy the full potential of the manual box. On the other hand, I'd take 6 speed manual M3 all day everyday.
Old 06-23-12, 01:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
I never understand M5 in manual these days. DSG is so much better and M5 is a heavy car to enjoy the full potential of the manual box. On the other hand, I'd take 6 speed manual M3 all day everyday.
Qft. /thread
Old 06-23-12, 02:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by STIG
whatever reason you have for 6mt in m3, it will (and can) apply to m5. manual is more about involvement in the car, weight doesn't necessarily take away all that. if that's the case, m3 is pretty damn heavy too for what it is imho. and dct in m3 is also "better" than 6mt
Old 06-24-12, 12:58 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
whatever reason you have for 6mt in m3, it will (and can) apply to m5. manual is more about involvement in the car, weight doesn't necessarily take away all that. if that's the case, m3 is pretty damn heavy too for what it is imho. and dct in m3 is also "better" than 6mt
You can go ahead and get a manual M5 and I will follow suit, sir. Hehe
I guess it's personal preference. A big sedan and manual box is a no no for me. I had a Toyota Mark II back in Asia with stick box and I never want a large sedan with it again.

Btw, I really don't like the way //M dept has been going. Recent announcement of M7, rumors of going to electric steering for next M3 etc aren't good signs. At the same time, a lot of people went nuts when they ditched in line six for E90/92. I guess we will have to wait and see. E92 could be the last of true //M.
Old 06-24-12, 03:04 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
I think weight and size matter. Would have no interest in a manual gt-r either for example.
A 911 is pushing it even because it's now a pretty big and fairly heavy vehicle too. That's why I think Boxster is a better choice with stick,

Quick Reply: Next BMW M5 to drop manual transmission option