Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-15, 12:52 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's that sensor above the vents? Hand gesture recognition?

Old 08-20-15, 05:12 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed, but do you think ANYONE is going to offer HUD with the info projected to the MIDDLE (horizontally) of the windshield? didn't think so.

you can try all you like to justify center guages but they're just a cost cutting exercise to make it cheaper to build LHD/RHD cars.
Your argument fully applies to the Echo Hatchback or xB where the centre mounted gauges are easily reversible and the dashboards are symmetrical and are reversible with minimal cost (steering wheel vs. glovebox + pass. airbag). It's not the case in the 2nd and 3rd Gen Prius as the dashboard in those two models are not symmetrical - Toyota still has to make two different mouldings for LHD/RHD so the cost cutting argument doesn't apply (or doesn't fully apply) in this case.

However, I would agree that I prefer the 2nd Gen Prius' speedo position. It's the left-most mounted without being directly in front of the driver. You can see the speedo in your peripheral vision. The 3rd Gen moved it slightly towards the centre (maybe an inch?) and by the looks of these interior spy shots, the gauges are centre-mounted like the 1st Gen. Ugh.

However, the benefit of a centre (or centre-ish) mounted gauge is a smaller steering wheel so it doesn't feel like you're driving a bus.

Given that the new Prius is on the new TNGA with a lower centre of gravity, the driving position will be different. I'm excited to see how it feels in the driver's seat. The Gen 2 was akin to an Echo/Yaris where there was a lot of greenhouse (so great visibility) but it felt like sitting on a stool. The current gen Prius tried to make it a bit more driver-oriented with the wrap around cockpit (the flying bridge as some people called it) and a taller door panel and dashboard to give the impression of sitting in a car.
Old 08-21-15, 03:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Your argument fully applies to the Echo Hatchback or xB where the centre mounted gauges are easily reversible and the dashboards are symmetrical and are reversible with minimal cost (steering wheel vs. glovebox + pass. airbag). It's not the case in the 2nd and 3rd Gen Prius as the dashboard in those two models are not symmetrical - Toyota still has to make two different mouldings for LHD/RHD so the cost cutting argument doesn't apply (or doesn't fully apply) in this case.
yep.. it is just a part of Prius story now, they have to make it a bit different than regular vehicle.

It will be interesting to see new vehicle and all the changes both inside and out... new Prius is herald of new TNGA era, there should be many generational changes there that will go into other TNGA vehicles in the future.
Old 08-21-15, 08:52 AM
venom21
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh god no....

Old 08-21-15, 08:55 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

More here:

http://www.autonews.com/gallery/2015...9&Profile=1657

Old 08-21-15, 09:22 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by venom21
Oh god no....

darn, that looks weirdo... hopefully it makes more sense in full pics. Blunt nose is the issue from the pics, Mirai side kind of looks fine here
Old 08-21-15, 09:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any pics of the rear?

The Prius has always been distinguishable because of the rear, never the front...
Old 08-21-15, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

We knew it would looks similar to the Mirai but.. iono about this
Old 08-21-15, 02:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Holy cow, they destroyed it! That is one of the ugliest bodies to appear since the Citroen! How tragic for Toyota. =(
Old 08-21-15, 02:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Any pics of the rear?

The Prius has always been distinguishable because of the rear, never the front...
looking at other pics, actually side and front seem to be even passable... but there is one shot of the rear, which shows huge rear lights going down (covered, just lights are being seen lighted under the cover)...

so i dont think anyone will be able to mistake Prius for anything else on the road... I just hope it looks not ugly in real life pics.
Old 08-21-15, 02:41 PM
pavelekPL
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by venom21
Oh god no....

If this is the real deal then... Its awful, the guy that approved the design should be fired. The current Prius looks great compared to this weirdo. Toyota haters gonna love it.
Old 08-21-15, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Wondering if it would look any better if owners paint the 'floating roof' area body color
Old 08-21-15, 03:02 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like the image all the way back on post #66. Was really hoping none of the similarities were carried over through, but it looks like the render was almost exact.

Old 08-21-15, 04:47 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

I wasnt expecting the Pruis to turn into something very sexy, but oh my goodness is that terrible! I pray this is not really it or it looks shockingly great in person.
Old 08-21-15, 05:19 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm....

I think the rendering looks worse. The renderings make the front look like a dog. The pictures at least look a little less cartoon-ish. I hope it looks better in real person.

The profile looks good though, although it's partially covered in the white camouflage.

Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius