Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-13, 03:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
how? there is no gain in mileage with lithium batteries. Weight difference is very small, maybe 50-60lbs.
they would gain a little bit more maximum output, but what they do then is reduce the capacity to lower the cost, so at the end, you end up with same product.
Yeah, but look what Ford was able to do with the Fusion. They were able to get more power to the electric motors using a Li-Ion battery, necessitating a smaller ICE, resulting in fuel economy gains. Pretty clever.
Old 08-28-13, 04:32 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, but look what Ford was able to do with the Fusion. They were able to get more power to the electric motors using a Li-Ion battery, necessitating a smaller ICE, resulting in fuel economy gains. Pretty clever.
what gains are that when real life they get same or worse mpg than Camry while having slower vehicle with smaller engine that probably costs more to produce? Camry is significantly faster while having same or better MPG according to mags and users reporting.
Old 08-28-13, 07:25 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

what gains are that when real life they get same or worse mpg than Camry while having slower vehicle with smaller engine that probably costs more to produce? Camry is significantly faster while having same or better MPG according to mags and users reporting.
Yup. From a good size sample of users registered on fueleconomy.gov, the Fusion Hybrid is averaging 39.8 mpg while having a rating of 47 mpg combined. The Camry Hybrid is averaging 40 mpg even and is rated at 41 combined. This discrepancy in ratings really needs to be addressed. Clearly, the EPA isn't testing these models and are simply taking the automakers word for it. Ford's testing is way off. They changed the C-max's inflated numbers but for some reason have maintained the Fusion's rating of 47/47 when nobody is coming close to that. It should be rated at 40 combined. Toyota's ratings are the industry's most honest. In fact, the ratings are often beaten by owners. I drive my Yaris aggressively (always 80+ mph) and I beat the EPA ratings by 18%. I'm a big fan of Ford as of late but I think their ratings are messing with market comparisons. Real sales are being effected by these false numbers.
Old 08-28-13, 07:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"We have also heard from owners that they would like a more convenient charging operation," Ogiso said. "In response, we are developing a new wireless/inductive charging system that produces resonance between an on-floor coil and an onboard coil to transmit power to the battery, providing charging without the fuss of a cable." He said verification work on the system will be conducted in Japan, the U.S. and Europe in 2014.
make this an option, not standard equip please - need to keep the costs in check; I wouldn't pay an extra $1000 for wireless charging - I'm not that lazy
Old 08-29-13, 01:29 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
make this an option, not standard equip please - need to keep the costs in check; I wouldn't pay an extra $1000 for wireless charging - I'm not that lazy
well you do have to pay $2k-$3k to install charger at your home, so why not wireless? :-)

but best would be for public parking spaces... very easy way to make it usable.
Old 08-29-13, 05:27 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

well you do have to pay $2k-$3k to install charger at your home, so why not wireless? :-)

but best would be for public parking spaces... very easy way to make it usable.
oh I'm fine with the tech, I just don't want to be a early adopter and pay extra $$$$.
Just make it optional
Old 08-29-13, 06:47 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"The next Prius will feature improved batteries with higher energy density – the relationship between the battery's output and dimensions. Toyota, already a leader in advanced drive battery technology, has stepped up its research, development and production capacity of both nickel-metal hydride and lithium-ion and will use these technologies where appropriate in its expanding focus on electrification of the automobile. Toyota has also ramped up development on new battery technologies like solid state and lithium air, as well as devoting resources focused on chemistries beyond lithium, such as magnesium and other low-valence materials."

I was hoping they had a design for their own complex Ultracapacitor setup they could utilize in Hybrids. I'm guessing that's still a few years off perhaps.

Last edited by Marklouis; 08-29-13 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-03-13, 05:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

don't know if this article was mentioned here or elsewhere in the forum... but the new more 'normal' looking (described as 'lexus-inspired') dash would be awesome.
article:
http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Secret-...rior-revealed/

Old 09-03-13, 06:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thats mule based on CT200h, 4 month old article :-)
Old 09-03-13, 06:21 PM
JessePS

What does the big red button do? Is this the next James Bond car
Old 09-03-13, 06:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
What does the big red button do? Is this the next James Bond car
port installed accessory hah
Old 07-12-14, 04:11 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we all know the prius has been delayed a bit. Saw these photos on priuschat. Possibly of the new prius?

Old 07-13-14, 11:39 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

^Taillights are a dead giveaway.

I dunno though, so many people hate on it, but I kinda like the car. From a tech perspective, it's really interesting. From a driver perspective, I've driven the HS250h, and it's probably just as drab.
Old 07-13-14, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Lighter is always better!
Dunno about that. Comparing the 2Gen with the current 3Gen Prius, the 2Gen, IMO, felt FAR more solidly-built inside and out. The 3Gen, I'll admit, handles somewhat better (losing some ride comfort in the process) and gets slightly better gas mileage. The old one rolled like a beach ball on sharp corners.
Old 07-13-14, 02:22 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dunno about that. Comparing the 2Gen with the current 3Gen Prius, the 2Gen, IMO, felt FAR more solidly-built inside and out. The 3Gen, I'll admit, handles somewhat better (losing some ride comfort in the process) and gets slightly better gas mileage. The old one rolled like a beach ball on sharp corners.
That quote was so old I had to go search what it was in response too lol. I was speaking from a handling standpoint in which there is no "I dunno about that". Lighter 'could' be worse if I were talking about build quality but that's not the case.

Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius