Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Old 09-09-15, 03:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Powered by a new generation of Toyota’s full hybrid powertrain, the new Prius makes significant advances in highway fuel economy and provides a much more rewarding driving experience. Acceleration is smoother and more responsive, and, at higher speeds, is quieter and has a more linear feel that is better aligned to engine speed.
TNGA also helps define the “peace-of-mind” interior, with its excellent packaging, driving position and comfort. Load space is improved thanks to the use of a smaller, more energy-dense hybrid battery and a new double wishbone rear suspension system – features which do not intrude on boot capacity.
European Toyota also talks about much improved highway economy (EU) and new double wishbone suspension (was torsion beam before).
Old 09-09-15, 06:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

One huge improvement here is the new double wishbone suspension. The previous Prius (and the 2004 Gen 2 Prius we had) really suffered from an unsophisticated economy car type ride that was thanks to the torsion beam suspension that really fell short of what a buyer of a vehicle at the price point of what a loaded Prius really was (ours in 2004 was $28k loaded, a loaded 2015 Prius is over $35k) expected from a ride and drive standpoint.

The new rear suspension will have a HUGE impact in ride and handling...I look forward to driving one.
Old 09-09-15, 06:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
if that's sporty, my golf cart is a ferrari.
Old 09-09-15, 06:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
One huge improvement here is the new double wishbone suspension. The previous Prius (and the 2004 Gen 2 Prius we had) really suffered from an unsophisticated economy car type ride that was thanks to the torsion beam suspension that really fell short of what a buyer of a vehicle at the price point of what a loaded Prius really was (ours in 2004 was $28k loaded, a loaded 2015 Prius is over $35k) expected from a ride and drive standpoint.

The new rear suspension will have a HUGE impact in ride and handling...I look forward to driving one.
Part of the ride/handling issue comes from not just the suspension type but the damping stiffness of the shocks, the design of the tires, tire PSI, unsprung weight underneath the suspension, and the wheelbase length. I agree with you that, in general sophistication, a torsion-beam is not the ideal design, and, like with McPherson struts, is sometimes used to save space and cost, but I've seen a number of even non-sporting vehicles that had IRS ride stiffer than torsion beam (and I'm generally pleased with the ride of my own torsion-beam car, especially on hot days when the tires are nice and soft). As for the Prius, we'll have to wait and see how it actually tests out. I might add that I found the 2Gen Prius VERY comfortable in its ride for that size of car, but a little on the Roly-Poly side when it came to handling. The 3Gen firmed up the handling a little at the expense of ride comfort....and, of course, we'll see how the 4Gen with its IRS, does.
Old 09-09-15, 07:22 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
http://livestream.com/Toyota/2016Prius/videos/98642788

What a weak premiere. Absolutely nothing but the exterior was shown. No MPGs, no drag coefficient, not a single stat, no mention of any new technologies, and not even a word about the all-important new hybrid drivetrain. What a non-event and a waste of PR opportunity to show the world how far ahead Toyota is in the hybrid game.
Yea this was one thing that stood out to me. You make this big deal about the event, hold it in Vegas of all places, invite tons of media, yet they barely say a thing about the car! It comes off like they arent even proud of it. Just seemed so nonchalant about the entire premier. No excitement, no care. "oh and here is the 2016 Prius, yey. Thanks for coming."

But hopefully they are saving all of the info for the Prius ECO model that was mentioned in the Autoblog write up.
Old 09-09-15, 07:29 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would also love to hear about new hybrid system. Is it really new or improved? Did they switch to lithium? More power less consumption?
Old 09-09-15, 10:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of the ride/handling issue comes from not just the suspension type but the damping stiffness of the shocks, the design of the tires, tire PSI, unsprung weight underneath the suspension, and the wheelbase length. I agree with you that, in general sophistication, a torsion-beam is not the ideal design, and, like with McPherson struts, is sometimes used to save space and cost, but I've seen a number of even non-sporting vehicles that had IRS ride stiffer than torsion beam (and I'm generally pleased with the ride of my own torsion-beam car, especially on hot days when the tires are nice and soft). As for the Prius, we'll have to wait and see how it actually tests out. I might add that I found the 2Gen Prius VERY comfortable in its ride for that size of car, but a little on the Roly-Poly side when it came to handling. The 3Gen firmed up the handling a little at the expense of ride comfort....and, of course, we'll see how the 4Gen with its IRS, does.
You fail to understand what an IRS does for a car vs a torsion beam style suspension.

Its not just about ride firmness. In fact, I don't think the current or the Prius that I had rode overly firm, what its about is dynamism and sophistication of the suspension, and its ability to adapt to changes in the road surface without delivering an unsettled jittery ride and handling performance to the driver and vehicle occupants.

THAT was my problem with the Gen 2 Prius we had, and the Gen 3 Priuses that I've driven were all much the same. In a straight flat line it rode okay, but whenever you started to turn, or have any kind of undulation to the road surface the ride would get jittery, uncomposed, and in short unsophisticated. Its an economy car suspension, and it made the Prius feel like an economy car on the road...which was at odds to what the price tag had to say about the car.

In short, a car with a torsion beam suspension setup in the rear feels more like a $15,000 car on the road than a $35,000 car. A Prius at that price point should drive more similarly to a Camry than a Corolla or Yaris. Right now its not that way, perhaps with this new more sophisticated suspension it will be the right way.

I might add that I found the 2Gen Prius VERY comfortable in its ride for that size of car, but a little on the Roly-Poly side when it came to handling.
It rode okay, I wouldn't put any emphasis on "very" or "comfortable".

I will say, that Prius is the only car we've ever had that I could say I really *hated*. It was expensive, silly looking, uncomfortable (terrible driving position, like driving a golf cart), stupid dash and control layout, it was loud, terrible seats. My wife loved it, but to me its the ultimate car for the anti-enthusiast. A complete and total refrigerator on wheels, with nothing rewarding for someone who actually likes cars.

This one may be ugly, but at least its something...and with tweaks like a better suspension maybe it might at least also be somewhat rewarding to drive.
Old 09-09-15, 10:19 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
I would also love to hear about new hybrid system. Is it really new or improved? Did they switch to lithium? More power less consumption?

• Striking exterior design ushers in new hybrid era
  • New platform and rear double wishbone suspension dial up driving dynamics
  • Ten percent fuel economy improvement on core models; highest MPG without a plug
  • First vehicle based on Toyota’s New Global Architecture
  • Toyota Safety Sense system available among other safety enhancements
LAS VEGAS, Sept. 8, 2015 - - The same vehicle that pioneered the hybrid category just disrupted the status quo again. The all-new, fourth-generation Prius starred in a spectacular evening production of music, food and special effects to celebrate an industry icon in a way that was anything but expected.
Today’s consumers expect environmental credentials, and the new Prius delivers. Smaller, lighter hybrid system components, higher-energy density in the batteries, and an internal combustion engine touting ground-breaking thermal efficiency (more than forty percent), contribute to a significant advancement in fuel economy. With an expected ten percent improvement in EPA estimated MPG on core models, Prius will offer best-in-class fuel economy among vehicles without a plug. A soon-to-be unveiled Eco model will achieve an even greater improvement, strengthening Toyota’s leadership in hybrid fuel efficiency.
Easy on the Eyes
The Prius’ exterior has been completely reimagined. From the side, it is longer and sleeker with the overall outline evoking an athletic shape. Inspired by a runner in the starting blocks, the sporty design conveys a feeling of forward motion.

The hood is lower and the distinctive roof peak has been moved forward. Bold character lines run along the side from the front fenders – one just above the sill that sweeps up towards the rear fender, while the upper crease morphs into the rear spoiler, which has been lowered.

The use of new standard LED headlamps minimizes the Prius’ front fascia and, at the same time, provides an arresting lighting display which helps define the vehicle’s character. The unique and striking rear combination lamps express the distinctive lines of the Prius from the rear spoiler to the trailing edges of the sides.

A palette of seven exterior colors includes an all-new Toyota hue, “Hypersonic Red.” This new color utilizes a newly developed treatment process, which results in a deep and vibrant luster highlighting the external forms.
Interesting that the roof peak has been moved forward when it was moved rearward on the Gen3 model to increase rear headroom.

Need a Hug?
The Prius’ new, premium interior adopts advanced technology complemented by features that are functional, fun and have high visual impact. The wrap-around dash design, form-hugging seats, ease of controls and improved visibility put the driver in complete control.

Once inside, drivers will feel immediately comfortable and impressed by styling cues that are unique in the industry. The wide instrument panel, seamlessly designed to be both functional and beautiful, gives a sense of comfort and spaciousness. Available premium white ornamentation in the lower sections of the cabin is reminiscent of fine bone china.
Efficient Development from the Start
The 2016 Prius is the first global vehicle to implement Toyota’s New Global Architecture (TNGA). TNGA aims to greatly improve core vehicle performance and enhance product appeal through an integrated development program for powertrain components and vehicle platforms. Development of vehicles is being grouped to promote strategic sharing of components with the goal of improving resource efficiency by better than twenty percent. Resources will be directed into developing advanced technologies, and most importantly even further strengthening product appeal.
A Fun-to-Drive Hybrid? A “Wish” Come True
Engineered from the ground up, the new Prius is 2.4 inches longer, 0.6 inches wider and 0.8 inches lower than the model it replaces, providing a planted on-road presence while delivering more occupant and cargo room.

Hallmarks of TNGA, a lower center of gravity and a more responsive suspension package, dial up the driving excitement. In fact, the height of the Prius’ front badge is exactly the same as that of Scion’s FR-S sports car – a remarkable achievement in height and mass reduction.

The all-new rear double wishbone suspension produces a better connection to the road, providing greater control and feedback in all driving conditions. A more rigid body helps improve responsiveness while cornering. From winding mountain roads to the wide boulevards downtown, the new Prius stays connected to the road, without sacrificing ride quality and occupant comfort.
Safety First

TNGA also provides a more rigid structural framework to help enhance occupant protection in the event of a collision. The high strength upper body is designed to distribute frontal collision impact energy. Plus, the Prius will be among the first U.S. models to offer Toyota Safety Sense (TSS), a new multi-feature advanced safety package anchored by automated pre-collision braking. TSS bundles cutting edge safety technologies including:
  • Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
  • Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist
  • Full-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control
  • Automatic High Beams
Source: Toyota Pressroom
Old 09-09-15, 03:46 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

THAT was my problem with the Gen 2 Prius we had, and the Gen 3 Priuses that I've driven were all much the same. In a straight flat line it rode okay, but whenever you started to turn, or have any kind of undulation to the road surface the ride would get jittery, uncomposed, and in short unsophisticated. Its an economy car suspension, and it made the Prius feel like an economy car on the road...which was at odds to what the price tag had to say about the car.

In short, a car with a torsion beam suspension setup in the rear feels more like a $15,000 car on the road than a $35,000 car. A Prius at that price point should drive more similarly to a Camry than a Corolla or Yaris. Right now its not that way, perhaps with this new more sophisticated suspension it will be the right way.

It rode okay, I wouldn't put any emphasis on "very" or "comfortable".

I will say, that Prius is the only car we've ever had that I could say I really *hated*. It was expensive, silly looking, uncomfortable (terrible driving position, like driving a golf cart), stupid dash and control layout, it was loud, terrible seats. My wife loved it, but to me its the ultimate car for the anti-enthusiast. A complete and total refrigerator on wheels, with nothing rewarding for someone who actually likes cars.

This one may be ugly, but at least its something...and with tweaks like a better suspension maybe it might at least also be somewhat rewarding to drive.
g2 and g3 were very different vehicles though - G2 was really made to be like a appliance which I really dug since it was like nothing else on the market... i do agree with you completely, but it is not just new rear suspension, complete platform is all new with new lower center of gravity, new suspension, even 60% more rigid shell than before... all of that will give us better ride overall.
Old 09-09-15, 05:58 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

A soon-to-be unveiled Eco model will achieve an even greater improvement
It's gonna be a dog!
Old 09-09-15, 06:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,358 Posts

technologically, this is an impressive package. visually, it's not. from the back at least. the front isn't bad.

i do wonder how toyota/lexus decides whether any model should offer fog lights or not.
Old 09-09-15, 06:39 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Where is the front? How do you tell?

Personally, I think people who buy these cars could careless how they look. All they care about is the planet.......
Old 09-09-15, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Where is the front? How do you tell?

Personally, I think people who buy these cars could careless how they look. All they care about is the planet.......
Correction...what they care about is demonstrating to others that they care about the planet. Whether they do or not lol.
Old 09-09-15, 06:48 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The all-new 2016 Prius lights up the night sky in Las Vegas during its official world premiere. With its striking new look, smarter tech and impressive fuel economy– all in a package that's more fun to drive than ever, the next era of Prius is here!
Old 09-09-15, 06:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

You fail to understand what an IRS does for a car vs a torsion beam style suspension.

Its not just about ride firmness. In fact, I don't think the current or the Prius that I had rode overly firm, what its about is dynamism and sophistication of the suspension, and its ability to adapt to changes in the road surface without delivering an unsettled jittery ride and handling performance to the driver and vehicle occupants.

Yes, I know that a torsion beam (or a solid axle like on traditional pickups and large SUVs) tends to transmits bumps and road irregularities side-to-side instead of absorbing them at each wheel. But that can (and sometimes is) held to a minimum if the other components around it are done correctly.

Totally agreed that older versions of the Prius drove like appliances and golf carts....I didn't like their feel and road manners, either. I found their Corolla and Camry brothers (which themselves are often considered appliances) actually more interesting to drive. And as far as the Prius being rewarding for non-enthusiasts and people who don't like cars, much of its popularity comes from college professors, environmentalists, celebrities, and those who look upon a car only as a last-resort necessity and would rather ride bicycles to most places.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius