Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2016 Lexus RX

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-15, 08:47 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX

The Embargo for driving impressions were lifted today. The new RX reviews are starting to trickle out. Although I think the exterior is not the greatest looking, this new RX is going to be a monumental home run for Lexus. Compared to a MKX which already looks 10 years old, the RX is sure to form some sort of impression.
Old 09-08-15, 09:13 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate it when they say the RX copied the Murano's floating roof when it's the Murano that copied the LF-LC's world's first floating roof design that came out more than 2 years earlier.
Old 09-08-15, 09:35 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

it looks like a giant IS i guess.

first drive:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/08/2...-review-video/

i find this side profile pretty awkward but it will likely sell like hot cakes. there's more lines than the london subway system.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-08-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 09:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

A lot of lines, angles and creases going on. Sales won't miss a beat though.
Old 09-08-15, 10:09 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Wow, I love it! Much more masculine.

It looks like the NX concept with all the aggressive lines and creases (and what should've been production-wise).

Can't wait to test drive one.
Old 09-08-15, 10:26 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sigh. Too bladed for me. Looks like something out of a Yu-gi-oh hairstyle cartoon. It'll sell no doubt but I'll have to pass and perhaps that's a blessing. Phew.
Old 09-08-15, 10:58 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
The Embargo for driving impressions were lifted today. The new RX reviews are starting to trickle out. Although I think the exterior is not the greatest looking, this new RX is going to be a monumental home run for Lexus. Compared to a MKX which already looks 10 years old, the RX is sure to form some sort of impression.
I'm not sure I'm ready to call the RX a success because it's way better than a Lincoln. It will be a success because it's an RX, and it's got a track record of years of success behind it. Given the Lexus nameplate and reputation, I think it's unlikely that Lexus would lose more customers than it gains because of making the styling more aggressive. To me, the issue Lexus will have is if the styling is too trendy, they will be forced to restyle earlier in the life cycle, rather than pushing the design for an extra year or 2.
Old 09-08-15, 11:02 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dislike the Lexus logo proximity sensor for the rear hatch. It is like they didn't want to do the foot sensor for the sake of being different and now they end up with something that is less effective. It is much easier to wave your foot when your hands are full then to use an elbow. Also, what about closing with your hands full? You still have to use your finger to push the button when you could use your leg.
Old 09-08-15, 11:08 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ydooby
I hate it when they say the RX copied the Murano's floating roof when it's the Murano that copied the LF-LC's world's first floating roof design that came out more than 2 years earlier.
I agree, but this model will always be labeled a copy cat of the Murano since it was for sale first.

That being said I don't care for the floating roof at all. It doesn't come across to me as a luxury car design feature. It especially stands out like a sore thumb in the white and silver models. If you get a darker color it blends in more or less.

I found the Autoblog first drive review one of the better ones I've read lately. More thorough than I expected.

Last edited by rogerh00; 09-08-15 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-08-15, 11:38 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Compared to a MKX which already looks 10 years old, the RX is sure to form some sort of impression.
I've seen a few out on the road already. It looks premium and inoffensive; there's plenty of people out there looking for just that.
Old 09-08-15, 11:38 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I was hoping the 450h's drivetrain would be a major improvement over the 3rd gen. After 6 years, the best they can do is tack on another 13hp? MPG/acceleration remains essentially the same. Regardless, I'm anxious to find out how much quieter it is. The 3RX is very noisy for a 'luxury' vehicle.
Old 09-08-15, 11:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, I love it! Much more masculine.
will be interesting to see how female buyers (who i would bet drive 80% of rx purchases) respond.

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dislike the Lexus logo proximity sensor for the rear hatch. It is like they didn't want to do the foot sensor for the sake of not infringing on a ford patent or paying a license fee and now they end up with something that is less effective.
fixed for you.
Old 09-08-15, 11:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I dislike the Lexus logo proximity sensor for the rear hatch. It is like they didn't want to do the foot sensor for the sake of being different and now they end up with something that is less effective. It is much easier to wave your foot when your hands are full then to use an elbow. Also, what about closing with your hands full? You still have to use your finger to push the button when you could use your leg.
Well, the Lexus design can be used with just your elbow.
Old 09-08-15, 11:57 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I've seen a few out on the road already. It looks premium and inoffensive; there's plenty of people out there looking for just that.
Which is fine and I don't doubt that. But Lincoln needs to make a statement and perhaps a bold one and the MKX does not do it. The RX on the other hand will generate a response for or against and that is what it's all about. It will turn some heads.
Old 09-08-15, 12:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Embargo for driving impressions were lifted today.
Shouldn't have been one to start with. The whole idea of embargoes is nonsense.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX