Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-14, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
That quote was so old I had to go search what it was in response too lol.
Come on....don't give me that. As long as you have been reading, posting (and doing) auto reviews, you know exactly what it stands for.

I was speaking from a handling standpoint in which there is no "I dunno about that". Lighter 'could' be worse if I were talking about build quality but that's not the case.
Well, that part is generally true. Lighter weight, overall, usually does mean better handling, but a number of other factors also come into play. If you have ever driven a Lotus Elise (I have, although it was almost impossible for me to get in and out of), you'll see what truly light weight does.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-13-14 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-13-14, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Dunno about that. Comparing the 2Gen with the current 3Gen Prius, the 2Gen, IMO, felt FAR more solidly-built inside and out. The 3Gen, I'll admit, handles somewhat better (losing some ride comfort in the process) and gets slightly better gas mileage. The old one rolled like a beach ball on sharp corners.
well, while we are talking about it, 3rd gen is better built car with better materials than 2nd gen. 2nd gen was still nice and my favorite for the time it started sales.
Old 07-13-14, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, while we are talking about it, 3rd gen is better built car with better materials than 2nd gen. 2nd gen was still nice and my favorite for the time it started sales.
The 3Gen does handle a little better....losing some ride comfort in the process. I'll respect your opinion on this, but I disagree that it is built more solidly than the 2Gen. It was obviously designed for very light weight and very high fuel economy, and some of the interior materials and exterior sheet metal are very thin. Consumer Reports, BTW, basically agreed. But its reliability, off ours, nevertheless, has remained well above average, so, in that sense, it is well built.

However, one nice thing about the 3Gen model is that it has basically expanded into four different versions......C, Prius, V, and Plug-In. That gives today's Prius buyer a far wider choice than before....which was only one basic model. It also gives those considering a Honda Insight (which, of course, doesn't sell well in the first place), a reason to go with a Prius C at virtually the same price....before, the Insight significantly undercut the Prius in price.
Old 07-14-14, 03:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
but I disagree that it is built more solidly than the 2Gen. It was obviously designed for very light weight and very high fuel economy, and some of the interior materials and exterior sheet metal are very thin.
2G was the same when it comes to thinness... It also had worse interior plastics and it seats would wear off too easy - problem that 3G didnt have.

Of course, 2G was revolutionary car back when it was introduced... and its quirky styling, great mpg and toy-like driving had a lot of fans.

I had one for 3 years, my wife still likes it the best out of 10+ cars we owned in past 10 years.
Old 07-14-14, 08:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I understand for Toyota to offer hybrid technology while keeping the cost down, there needs to be a compromise, but I'm anticipated the next generation Prius will have better fit and finish. Ours had only 18k miles on it before it started developing decent amount of rattles.
Old 07-14-14, 09:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I understand for Toyota to offer hybrid technology while keeping the cost down, there needs to be a compromise, but I'm anticipated the next generation Prius will have better fit and finish. Ours had only 18k miles on it before it started developing decent amount of rattles.
loved my 2010...but yes it had rattles too, espeically when I brought it to Denver....I crammed little pieces of felt between every panel I could.
Old 07-14-14, 01:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
we are always free to get Lexus if we dont like mainstream brand :-)
Old 03-27-15, 09:27 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Toyota’s New Powertrain Could Lead To 58 MPG Prius

HybridCars Web Link

(2015 model pic)

Toyota Motor Corp.’s new strategy will not only change the way the company builds engines; it will give the Prius’ hybrid drivetrain a 15-percent boost in fuel economy.

The Japanese carmaker said its next generation of engines will share more parts, get better gas mileage and have more power. Under the Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA), both hybrid powertrains and gasoline-only systems will benefit.

The Prius will be the first to debut the newly designed hybrid powertrain under this strategy. Toyota didn’t confirm if the upcoming model will feature TNGA, but consumers could see a Prius with a 15-prercent increase in fuel economy as early as this fall.

In other words, the 2016 Prius could post up to 58.7 miles per gallon in the city (55 mpg on the highway and 57.5 combined).

The 2015 Prius, which comes with a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine and continuously variable transmission, is currently rated at 50 mpg (51 city, 48 highway).
Old 03-27-15, 02:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh dang, they are giving the Prius the 4Runner side slashes!
Old 03-27-15, 03:05 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh no, they're going to make it even uglier!
Old 03-27-15, 03:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

thats facelifted Prius v guys...
Old 03-27-15, 03:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Oh dang, they are giving the Prius the 4Runner side slashes!
Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Oh no, they're going to make it even uglier!
That pic is the front corner of the current 2015 Prius V.

Old 03-27-15, 03:22 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
That pic is the front corner of the current 2015 Prius V.

WTF!
That's awful!
Old 03-27-15, 03:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Thank goodness!! *Whew* The standard Prius has a monumental role to fill and needs some snappy styling that works.
Old 03-27-15, 04:16 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
What does the big red button do? Is this the next James Bond car
Beam directly to left lane, set speed 54 mph.

Last edited by link13; 03-27-15 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Fourth gen (2016) Toyota Prius