Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 02:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

You guys are reading way too much into this :-).

And btw, Lexus Europe said that this is not special edition LFA but that they are testing some parts.
Old 06-28-12, 02:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

like i said, when the car goes into the production, i will revisit this thread on this topic.

working on a project car for a year is nothing compared to all the r&d for future vehicles
Old 06-28-12, 02:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
Maybe I read it differently than you guys. But I don't think I'm wrong. They didn't confirm which models they would work on, but have confirmed the LS was a project. Well, the LS was shown off to a group of people who took a tour of the TMG facilities back last year in Autumn. If you go by that information, the car has been 'worked on' for almost a year, probably at least a year as of now. What would be the reason to have a car worked on for year, that appears done if it won't be produced? This quote here makes me believe that the car is ready, or at least close to being ready and it is the first 'TMG' model (depending on what they call it). Another quote from the article He's giving nothing away, but obviously he alluded to the fact the Lexus LS was chosen by the people in Japan (headquarters). So if it's the first 'TMG' model, and was chosen by the people in charge in Japan- I take that as it will be the first car shown off and made by TMG, whatever name they want to call it.
Tons of business projects, not only cars..........are worked on for years and get cancel at the last moment for various reasons........mainly if the company don't think is profitable.

R&D takes money, tooling up for production takes tons of money too. Sometime even if the R&D is finish, they can still decide it is not worth it to put it into production.

I am pretty sure the LFA project was all done in 2005, it took TMC another 5 years to decide to put it into production. The V10 NSX was running on the track in prototype form a few years ago, got cancelled at the end. That was a whole new FR chassis, V10 engine and tranny, all scrapped. Now they switched to a Mid mounted V6 hybrid AWD format. You just never know until it is in the showroom

Old 06-28-12, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
Tons of business projects, not only cars..........are worked on for years and get cancel at the last moment for various reasons........mainly if the company don't think is profitable.

R&D takes money, tooling up for production takes tons of money too. Sometime even if the R&D is finish, they can still decide it is not worth it to put it into production.

I am pretty sure the LFA project was all done in 2005, it took TMC another 5 years to decide to put it into production. The V10 NSX was running on the track in prototype form a few years ago, got cancelled at the end. That was a whole new FR chassis, V10 engine and tranny, all scrapped. Now they switched to a Mid mounted V6 hybrid AWD format. You just never know until it is in the showroom

Well Lexus had an aluminum LFA and decided to go "***** out" with carbon fiber. The project wasn't going to get canceled they just made it better

Honda is full of **** and promised a car faster than the GT-R and then blames the devil, Obama, hitler, Nostradamus, economy, leman brothers, wall st. 2 for them being pussies and not making a v-10 nsx.. So an Ohio built v-6 hybrid awd model is coming. They raced the v-10 in gt racing in Japan and did well with it though the other car brands had to give permission for it to race since its not a production car.

Old 06-28-12, 03:47 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well Lexus had an aluminum LFA and decided to go "***** out" with carbon fiber. The project wasn't going to get canceled they just made it better
Yeah you are right.

Honda is full of **** and promised a car faster than the GT-R and then blames the devil, Obama, hitler, Nostradamus, economy, leman brothers, wall st. 2 for them being pussies and not making a v-10 nsx.. So an Ohio built v-6 hybrid awd model is coming.
LOL, Honda have always been pussies, to this day they still refused to make a RWD V8 luxury car Nissan did it and even Hyundai have step up in a huge way. Honda, if you are listening, doesn't matter how good you make your V6s, it would NEVER feels and sounds like a V8.

They raced the v-10 in gt racing in Japan and did well with it though the other car brands had to give permission for it to race since its not a production car.
For what it worth, the HSV-010 shriek sicker then the LFA. Mainly due to the tiny displacement 3.4L V8.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-28-12 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 12:44 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just hope the LS they make isn't watered down so much from the TMG LS we have seen specs and pictures of.
Old 06-29-12, 01:24 PM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the link to the video, couldn't figure out how to embed the video.
Old 06-29-12, 01:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol video posted twice before, post #18 and post #43

nonetheless, good stuff
Old 06-29-12, 02:39 PM
ceo2be
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
lol video posted twice before, post #18 and post #43

nonetheless, good stuff
oh ok..ahaha...looked on page 3 and 4 but didn't see it so I thought it wasn't posted.
Old 06-29-12, 02:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

nah it's cool. personally don't mind, since this is one exciting car and lexus continues to improve it!
Old 07-02-12, 11:50 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Apparently this car is a prototype as confirmed by official sources :

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/07/0...many/#comments
Old 07-02-12, 12:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,097 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Honda is full of **** and promised a car faster than the GT-R and then blames the devil, Obama, hitler, Nostradamus, economy, leman brothers, wall st. 2 for them being pussies and not making a v-10 nsx..
godwin's law again.
Old 07-02-12, 01:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
I just hope the LS they make isn't watered down so much from the TMG LS we have seen specs and pictures of.
It would be a sure bet that it will be watered down quite a bit. That test mule is pretty hardcore. And boost will be turn down to make no more then what stock S63, B7, S8, XJ SuperSport makes, which is about 550 hp.
Old 07-03-12, 11:45 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll just have to wait. Hopefully in the coming months.
Old 07-03-12, 11:56 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Apparently this car is a prototype as confirmed by official sources :

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/07/0...many/#comments
Apparently, it's not.

Confirmed: No Lexus LFA Special Editions Planned
http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/07/0...tions-planned/
Despite the two mystery prototypes (see: AD-A & AD-B) currently racing around Nürburgring, Lexus has no special edition LFAs planned.

These LFA units spotted at Nürburgring are one-off vehicles developed by the TMC technical division, and are currently being tested for technical purposes only,” Etienne Plas, senior manager of product communications for Lexus Europe, told me via email, “We have no plans to produce and sell any new special edition of the LFA.”

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)