Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)

Old 06-27-12, 11:25 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
In last few months I have brought up the LFA to a few people that are "into cars", and they go "Lexus built what?"
There are about 100 different levels of being "into cars"

I know a guy that is "into cars", he doesn't know Toyota produces Lexus, he think Lexus is a highend European brand He think his 4-cyls Camry is a highend car...........LOL. It is safe to say he never heard of the LFA and never will in his lifetime.
Old 06-27-12, 03:21 PM
LexFather

Rome wasn't built in a day. The M brand didn't expand much initially and BMW never has built a car like the LFA. Mercedes AMG started off slow to where it is today. Lets not forget it took them decades to expand the brands.

What is very commendable is Lexus not just bringing the LFA and IS F to market but improving them and investing in the program.

Its clear the LFA program influenced the CT and GS and of course FRS/GT86 etc.

Old 06-27-12, 04:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Rome wasn't built in a day. The M brand didn't expand much initially and BMW never has built a car like the LFA. Mercedes AMG started off slow to where it is today. Lets not forget it took them decades to expand the brands.

What is very commendable is Lexus not just bringing the LFA and IS F to market but improving them and investing in the program.

Its clear the LFA program influenced the CT and GS and of course FRS/GT86 etc.
I agreed with all of that.

Except BMW also started the M brand with the very exotic M1, just like how the LFA started the F brand. Is hard to compare if the 1978 M1 is as exotic as the LFA today, but I think is pretty similar.
Old 06-27-12, 04:57 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i think this car is full electric so that's why there is no exhaust
It's not....
Old 06-27-12, 05:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
I agreed with all of that.

Except BMW also started the M brand with the very exotic M1, just like how the LFA started the F brand. Is hard to compare if the 1978 M1 is as exotic as the LFA today, but I think is pretty similar.
At the time yes, I-6, built for racing, was to be built by Lambo. etc etc.. Then we got the M3, M5, M6 and it took time

Old 06-27-12, 05:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
It's not....
that's why the smilies indicating it's a joke?
Old 06-27-12, 05:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
At the time yes, I-6, built for racing, was to be built by Lambo. etc etc.. Then we got the M3, M5, M6 and it took time
Yes agreed 100%, ha we haven't agree on something for a while

It took a very long time, let's see, the M1 came out in 1978, so 34 years ago..........then slowly the next one is E28 M5...........M6, then E30 M3..........in that sequence I think. Only until the recent E39 M5 about 10 years ago that M vehicle becoming common place. Now is all ***** out with the M SUV To this day there still no M7. No M8 either, only that 850CSi.

The history of AMG is very muddy, since most of the early cars are not sold in the U.S., and very early on cars are done by AMG themselve and not sold by MB. I did some research and looks like the 1st factory AMG came out in the early 90s with the AMG 190E 3.2, the 1st AMG sold in the U.S. dealer is I think the C36 in 1996 or so. So it took AMG about 20 years to get to where they are today.

Things seems to progress faster now a days though, the ISF came out in 2008, so maybe we will see a GS-F in 2014, a SC-F in 2017 and hopefully a LS-F before 2020!
Old 06-27-12, 05:27 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
We just confirmed that the TMG LS project exist. I believe it would be produced when I see the car at the dealer with a price tag on it.

Any project can be cancel at the last minute, the LFA's production was almost cancel. It took Toyota 5 years to decide to build it.
We had that project confirmed last year. In the past couple of weeks, we have learned that the car is indeed going to be produced.
Old 06-27-12, 05:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TF109B
We had that project confirmed last year. In the past couple of weeks, we have learned that the car is indeed going to be produced.
We confirmed the car itself exist last year, it could of been anything, I mean it is just a body, it could be anything underneat. Now we know it is indeed a twin turbo V8 LS, they have the intention of developing it into a street car for sale to the general public. No one confirmed it is going to be produced. The boss of TMG just said they got the assignment from TMC to turn the LS into a hot rod, that's about it.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-27-12 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-27-12, 05:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

where did it say that the ls with tt v8 will be produced? from reading the article on tmg, they are just going to work on cars and different projects and hopefully make cars for lexus. but i don't think it's said anywhere explicitly that the tt v8 ls is going to be produced. i would love to see proof on that
Old 06-27-12, 11:37 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

You need to read around. The australian article speaks about it. They say it's on.
Old 06-28-12, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You need to read around. The australian article speaks about it. They say it's on.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/177944/t...nce-sub-brand/

from article:
The facility will also tune Lexus vehicles but Kino****a would not confirm which Toyota or Lexus models would get the TMG treatment in the future. The company, however, has confirmed that it is actively working on numerous projects, including a Lexus LS460 with a twin-turbo 4.6-litre V8 with around 650bhp.

"actively working" on projects including tt v8 ls460. that's where it ends. it does not say anything about production. if you somehow translates that into the car is going to make into production, maybe you need to read less. give me a break. i love to see the car for sale in dealership as much as the next guy, but talk to me when that happens

maybe you are reading something else i don't. by all means, share
Old 06-28-12, 11:14 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
from article:
The facility will also tune Lexus vehicles but Kino****a would not confirm which Toyota or Lexus models would get the TMG treatment in the future. The company, however, has confirmed that it is actively working on numerous projects, including a Lexus LS460 with a twin-turbo 4.6-litre V8 with around 650bhp.

"actively working" on projects including tt v8 ls460. that's where it ends. it does not say anything about production. if you somehow translates that into the car is going to make into production, maybe you need to read less. give me a break. i love to see the car for sale in dealership as much as the next guy, but talk to me when that happens

maybe you are reading something else i don't. by all means, share
rominl, you took the words out of my mouth.

TF109B, saying this with respect, you need to read carefully and try to really comprehend what the article is saying and think about what it all means. TMG got direction from TMC (Toyota Motor Company) to hot rodded out the LS460, see what they can do and what the result is. TMC then will analyze the result, come up with a business case, then decide if they want to put it into production. TMC is going into uncharted water here, it will take a long time. Look at my post above, it took BMW M 34 years to get to where they are today and there is still no M7. It took AMG 20 years and the AMG S-Class came out about 10 years ago. TMC will not just jump into it all of a sudden, this is hundreds of millions of R&D money they are risking if it doesn't sell.

So production is not confirm by anyone. I am the same with rominl here, a TT V8 LS is my ideal next daily driver, I want it to happen more then anyone else.
Old 06-28-12, 01:49 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Maybe I read it differently than you guys. But I don't think I'm wrong. They didn't confirm which models they would work on, but have confirmed the LS was a project. Well, the LS was shown off to a group of people who took a tour of the TMG facilities back last year in Autumn. If you go by that information, the car has been 'worked on' for almost a year, probably at least a year as of now. What would be the reason to have a car worked on for year, that appears done if it won't be produced? This quote here
“We are just happy to deliver a fast car, a high performance car. We have started with LS but we may have some other models…” Vasselon said. He also said the use of a TMG badge may officially be confirmed in the next 6-9 months.
makes me believe that the car is ready, or at least close to being ready and it is the first 'TMG' model (depending on what they call it). Another quote from the article
Asked why the LS was chosen, Vasselon hinted at the directive from Japan but also elaborated that “one of the interesting challenges was to make this big car reactive and fun to drive”.
He's giving nothing away, but obviously he alluded to the fact the Lexus LS was chosen by the people in Japan (headquarters). So if it's the first 'TMG' model, and was chosen by the people in charge in Japan- I take that as it will be the first car shown off and made by TMG, whatever name they want to call it.
Old 06-28-12, 01:51 PM
LexFather

Well Lexus has a LFA .....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)