Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 11:28 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. What would make you say that. The LFA contrary to anti-Lexus people and Lexus haters has made quite a shot around the world. B/C even people that dislike it know about it. Its quite talked about in the industry too and its name is rarely ommitted when the talk of new exotics comes up. At SEMA last year the first car you saw walking in was a LFA used by Falken.
In last few months I have brought up the LFA to a few people that are "into cars", and they go "Lexus built what?"

For those on the boards, into Lexus or knee deep in the auto market \ aftermarket know about it but I was really shocked on how few know about the LFA in general, let alone all the AMAZING details about it.
Old 06-26-12, 11:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by J.P.
In last few months I have brought up the LFA to a few people that are "into cars", and they go "Lexus built what?"

For those on the boards, into Lexus or knee deep in the auto market \ aftermarket know about it but I was really shocked on how few know about the LFA in general, let alone all the AMAZING details about it.
Antecedal evidence? I was at the market buying some red snapper and the cashier who could barely speak english looks at my shirt and says "wow LFA". I was stunned he recognized it since the shirt is more of a drawing. So here is some random guy that knew what it was.

On the other hand in the industry everyone knows what the LFA is, it still stirs up controversy usually based on price/badge. It is highly respected for its merits though. Its not just Lexus forums or Lexus fans. Mind you nor am I saying the LFA is some world famous car like a Diablo or F40. But the "no one" comment is simply another jab at Lexus here which is commonplace.

Most people can't even name Ferrari individual models, they know Ferrari. That doesn't mean no one knows what a 458 is or a 599.

So how does one quantify "no one". Rest assured if one here is to say "no one knows what the NSX is" we would be fed a tirade.

Old 06-26-12, 12:11 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I did not say no one, but when I hire a new guy that has a E550 and is a car nut and I mentioned the LFA because I am a Lexus fan and he goes " LA what?"

At the end of the day maybe he just does not give a crap about Lexus, but he is not the first one to ask what I was talking about recently.

I am not trying to get into a debate about everyone we meet on the street and who knows what, but reality is little kids are not hanging LFA posters on their walls by the thousands, but they do with Ferrari

Personally I love the LFA, but Lexus should have ran wild with the marketing and advertising, and they did some, but not enough in my opinion.
Old 06-26-12, 01:48 PM
LexFather

^^^ he's not a car guy

I'll finish when I land...

Old 06-26-12, 01:54 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

No need to finish, I am not anti LFA......... because I made the statement that people, yes some people, even car people, don’t know what the LFA is.

Enjoy the flight
Old 06-26-12, 02:36 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
Where did the "800 HP" figure come from?
Old 06-26-12, 03:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dmvp29
Where did the "800 HP" figure come from?
hahaha, i have learned not to read too much into things
Old 06-26-12, 04:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I did not say no one, but when I hire a new guy that has a E550 and is a car nut and I mentioned the LFA because I am a Lexus fan and he goes " LA what?"

At the end of the day maybe he just does not give a crap about Lexus, but he is not the first one to ask what I was talking about recently.

I am not trying to get into a debate about everyone we meet on the street and who knows what, but reality is little kids are not hanging LFA posters on their walls by the thousands, but they do with Ferrari

Personally I love the LFA, but Lexus should have ran wild with the marketing and advertising, and they did some, but not enough in my opinion.
Ferrari has been around for 80+ years, they spend billion a year just on their F1 program. Of course LFA can not get Lexus to that status.

However LFA has been a great marketing exercise for Lexus. It has been featured in every automotive magazine, at least twice. And there are some constant news about it like for instance the N edition breaking the record, etc. So pretty much it is greatest marketing Lexus ever had.
Old 06-26-12, 04:14 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will it possible be a rear engine this time?
Old 06-26-12, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow. What would make you say that.
i think you misread it...

But the "no one" comment is simply another jab at Lexus here which is commonplace.
So how does one quantify "no one". Rest assured if one here is to say "no one knows what the NSX is" we would be fed a tirade.
you're misquoting what i wrote, and also being overly sensitive. what i wrote:

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
lfa is awesome, but almost no one i know has ever heard of it.
(emphasis added)

if anyone did write, quote "no one knows what the NSX is", they would simply be wrong (because clearly tons of people do), and it's a false analogy anyway, as i didn't write same about lfa.

Most people can't even name Ferrari individual models, they know Ferrari. That doesn't mean no one knows what a 458 is or a 599.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
On the other hand in the industry everyone knows what the LFA is,
(emphasis added)

agreed on both. but everyone knows ferrari makes exotic sports cars. i'd venture that maybe 5% of the entire public have any idea that lexus makes (an awesome) one.

qft

Originally Posted by spwolf
However LFA has been a great marketing exercise for Lexus. It has been featured in every automotive magazine, at least twice. And there are some constant news about it like for instance the N edition breaking the record, etc. So pretty much it is greatest marketing Lexus ever had.
lfa has been great for generating industry buzz as in "whoa, lexus built THAT?" but i think it's more surprise and confusion (and yes, respect).

i shouldn't have to say it over and over, but i think the lfa is AWESOME.

i just think it was largely a waste of money (more of an ego trip). (and before someone brings up the nsx, that car was waaaaaaaaaay cheaper and less capable than an lfa).

but as a car fan, and lexus fan, i'm sure glad lexus did make it!
Old 06-26-12, 05:17 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Originally Posted by spwolf
Ferrari has been around for 80+ years, they spend billion a year just on their F1 program. Of course LFA can not get Lexus to that status.

An expensive marketing exercise....

If Lexus spent the R&D dollars \ time on bringing out a GS-F, LS-F and a Coupe are they further ahead or are they further ahead with releasing the LFA? (yeah yeah I know, LFA tech will trickle down to other cars at some point...)

I am sitting here dying, begging, for a GS-F and they come out with a V6 GS and a $400k super car.

I am sitting here wanting to see a real sport LS and not an afterthought,, again they give us a $400k super car pushing us away saying go get a S, 8 or 7.

At one point I thought the LFA would \ could net them a lot and it certainly netted them something but what?..... but after some time I am asking, if that money and time was spent elsewhere are they further ahead? I know many other people on this board alone would have new cars in their garage if so…

My point with the people I ran into not knowing about the LFA, or better put, not caring about Lexus, was concerning. The point of a halo car is to capture the attention of those you normally don’t, but to also strengthen your bond with your already loyal customers. Is the LFA driving in a new customer base? Is it taking sales away from Audi \ BMW?

If you want to pull people away from other brands you need a strong compelling reason, and the LFA makes you go whoa, but it doesn’t seem to be enough to make people care about Lexus who didn’t before.

Look at what Audi is doing without a 400k car right now, they are bringing cars to the market that stylistically people want to drive while also being fun to drive,
Old 06-26-12, 05:21 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

And before I get capped on for being anti-lexus, notice where I say its me bringing up the LFA to other people because I am a Lexus FAN, as much as I love the LFA it does not mean I think, as of right now, it was the best choice for them.
Old 06-27-12, 09:21 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Some video footage:

http://youtu.be/tUQSQtxm6Lo
Old 06-27-12, 11:10 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J.P. maybe you should read the TMG LS thread. It's going to be produced.
Old 06-27-12, 11:22 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TF109B
J.P. maybe you should read the TMG LS thread. It's going to be produced.
We just confirmed that the TMG LS project exist. I believe it would be produced when I see the car at the dealer with a price tag on it.

Any project can be cancel at the last minute, the LFA's production was almost cancel. It took Toyota 5 years to decide to build it.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA “Special Edition” Prototype Spied (testing new 5.3L V10)