Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to launch TMG performance sub-brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 09:03 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
TTE is old, TMG is very new. 6 years in this industry is very new. Some people think the 3 years old HS250h is brand spanking new!

The company is old, but the name TMG is very new. We only heard about it when the TMG LS460 was leaked.
I remember the old TTE MR2 Turbos in the 90's hotness.

Why not use TRD? No need to confuse the consumer.

I own an Audi TT and Audi's performance arm is quattro GmbH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quattro_GmbH
Old 06-20-12, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
From what I can tell and I really didn't look that much into it, AMG is sportier in everyways, different engine, tranny I don't know, it looks the same on the surface, bigger diffs, bigger exhaust, sport seats, steering wheel, different body kit, bigger brakes.............etc. Is just like BMW M, is sportier everything. The TT V8 in AMG is 5.5L, in the 550 is 4.7L.........so is not just a re-tune. Suspension wise, sure ABC is optional in the 550, but is it just as firm in the 550? I don't know, never driven a 550 with ABC, I just know the airmatic in the 550 is way softer. The only recent performance model car that I found that is nothing but a bigger engine is the Hyundai Genesis 5.0L R-Spec, everything else is the same as the 4.6.

I know DCT is very smooth, but the best ones is still never as smooth as a fluid torque converter, you can always feels the clutch engaging, regardless of how smooth it is. I checked it out closely on the Panamera, the PDK suppose to be one of the best DCT, I can clearly feel the clutch slipping in. Same with the Ferrari FF that I recently drove, but then is a Ferrari, maybe is tuned to be aggressive. But is just simple logic, a clutch would never be as smooth as fluid engagement. I know for my daily sedan, torque converter is my choice. I want DCT on my weekend sports car.

That is interesting. Is just personally I don't want a clutch in my daily commuter.
the engines are modified and tuned but it's not "brand new". if you read about it, the 6.2L was the first engine that's really developed by amg (from what i read), all the others are just changed. this is vs bmw m, like the v8 in m3/5, and the v10, they are all made just for m.

i read somewhere before the abc is just the same on amg vs normal. yes they always say sports tuned, but you know how that one goes. just thought of something, do amg cars have wider fenders?

a clutch design you will feel it when you shift it hard. if you are just talking about normal driving, there is no way you can feel significant difference between normal tq converter vs mct/dct. in the end if you want to remotely bring performance to the table, clutch type is the way to go.
Old 06-20-12, 11:24 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the engines are modified and tuned but it's not "brand new". if you read about it, the 6.2L was the first engine that's really developed by amg (from what i read), all the others are just changed. this is vs bmw m, like the v8 in m3/5, and the v10, they are all made just for m.

i read somewhere before the abc is just the same on amg vs normal. yes they always say sports tuned, but you know how that one goes. just thought of something, do amg cars have wider fenders?

a clutch design you will feel it when you shift it hard. if you are just talking about normal driving, there is no way you can feel significant difference between normal tq converter vs mct/dct. in the end if you want to remotely bring performance to the table, clutch type is the way to go.
The AMG engines are different from normal ones, back in the sc days the V8 are 5.5 liters +SC and none amg is 5.0 NA. Then it's 6.2 NA, versus the normal 5.5 v8 and now it's 5.5 TT compares to the normal 4.6 TT.

Suspension wise it's completely different as well C63's track is 1" wider than C350, but the models with airmatic might have similar modified suspension BUT with a different part number so it should be different as well.

Last edited by Stormwind; 06-20-12 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 11:25 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think AMG has wider fenders. never read of that, whereas M cars always has wider fenders and rear quarters, making the bodykit non interchangeable to non M cars.
Old 06-20-12, 11:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
The AMG engines are different from normal ones, back in the sc days the V8 are 5.5 liters +SC and none amg is 5.0 NA. Then it's 6.2 NA, versus the normal 5.5 v8 and now it's 5.5 TT compares to the normal 4.6 TT.

Suspension wise it's completely different as well C63's track is 1" wider than C350, but the models with airmatic might have similar modified suspension BUT with a different part number so it should be different as well.
different, but are they derived from the same block? that's my question. either way i think we are getting way OT and should get back to TMG and their LS with DCT
Old 06-21-12, 12:18 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

so happy to hear that this is a go
Old 06-21-12, 01:38 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

The info is probably correct on the DCT part. This isn't your typical LS. 650hp should say it all. Pascal Vasselon highlights this isn't a TUNING company, but they are making a brand new LS. The naming is still in the air, but F/TMG, doesn't matter. What matters is it's being done!
Old 06-21-12, 09:35 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

What the F?
Old 06-21-12, 09:56 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
so happy to hear that this is a go
They just confirmed the car exist and they are working on it, I am not holding my breath until I see it in the showroom with a price tag on it.

Look at the LFA, it took them at least 5 years to decide to put it into production.
Old 06-21-12, 09:58 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Serious answer: Please keep away from Lexus. Give the LS performance edition to the F team and let them continue R&D. For all the good the company (TMC) is doing in going for a more performance-oriented path, if this goes through their branding could become a cluster%$#&. Sure, TMG and AMG have different sources for their names but it won't stop the fanboys from thinking Toyota is merely copying the Germans again. To make it worse, dumb *** CEO of TMG goes ahead and makes the connection by saying "Hurhurhur, just replace the A with a T and you have TMG. Derp." Talk about one step forward, two steps back (exaggeration). C'mon Toyoda, please have one consistent philosophy, not a bunch of fragmented brands trying to do similar things.

Build up the F brand and don't add anymore confusing sub-brands. Some people already think the addition of the F-sport is going in a bad direction.
Old 06-21-12, 10:06 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I don't think AMG has wider fenders. never read of that, whereas M cars always has wider fenders and rear quarters, making the bodykit non interchangeable to non M cars.
It depends on the generation, never say never and nothing is always

All M3 have wider fenders, but the E36 M3 didn't. None of the M5 has it, but the E60 M5 got it.

On the AMGs, most of them don't have wider fenders, but the C63 (non black series) and the latest W212 E63 has wider fender on the front.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-21-12 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-21-12, 10:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The idea is great but it's somewhat confusing. We have F which is supposed to be the factory performance line for Lexus, and you have TRD which is the factory performance line for Toyota. So what happens with F Sport, TRD Sportivo, TRD Modellista, and etc? The idea is great but there is no continuity globally.
Old 06-21-12, 12:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by flipside909
The idea is great but it's somewhat confusing. We have F which is supposed to be the factory performance line for Lexus, and you have TRD which is the factory performance line for Toyota. So what happens with F Sport, TRD Sportivo, TRD Modellista, and etc? The idea is great but there is no continuity globally.
It can always be like BMW though, there is the whole M line, then have Alpina make a B7 since the M7 don't fit in their M marketing somehow.

So there can be a IS-F, GS-F, LFA then a TMG LS.

Just like everyone said, as long as they make it good, I can careless what the name is.
Old 06-21-12, 01:23 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

I don't see the confusion. F/F-Sport is tuning the existing car. TMG isn't tuning the car, they're recreating it. We don't have all the details, but TMG is just as capable, if not more so at turning these cars into serious performance machines. Think of the F-Sport as upgrades to the car but nothing drastic. TMG is the drastic change. Everything is new. Transmission, redone engine, body, suspension... I think TMG version will be a step beyond the F-Sport/F cars. That's what I'm getting from this.
Old 06-21-12, 02:14 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Autoblog caught on to the same story, nothing new we haven't heard:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/20/t...ersion-of-amg/

Quick Reply: Toyota to launch TMG performance sub-brand