Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota to launch TMG performance sub-brand

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 02:31 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what happened to the F? What's wrong with calling the 650hp LS the LS-F?

If they insist on the TMG sub-brand then make it for Toyotas only!
Old 06-20-12, 02:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I understand, he meant the name "TMG" is too close to "AMG", even the badge looks the same. Which I agreed.

Toyota got too many performance divisions names already, TRD, G Sports, Sport Design, F, F Sports, now TMG? Make up the mind already and stick with one. F sounds good, is different and original. My favorite is G Sports, sounds like G Spot, which sure is exciting and orgasmic

The confirmation of the LS460 TMG edition is crazy, but then when Toyota was so sensitive about that a while back when it leaked out and try to cover it up, that already proved that it is real. This is the most exciting news I have heard for years regarding Japanese cars.
Yeah way too many. In fact wasn't there L-Tuned as well
Old 06-20-12, 02:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Yeah way too many. In fact wasn't there L-Tuned as well
Let's try to sum it up: TRD, G Sports, Sport Design, L-Tuned, F, F Sports, TTE and now TMG.

I guess Tom's don't really count, even though it is very closely factory related.

Then there is Gazoo Racing and GRMN.

How many do they need? I guess they need one for Toyota, one for Lexus and one for Scion.

I guess Toyota is so desparate for excitment, they asked every companies they know to spice up their products.

Last edited by BNR34; 06-20-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 02:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Let's try to sum it up: TRD, G Sports, Sport Design, L-Tuned, F, F Sports, TTE and now TMG.

I guess Tom's don't really count, even though it is very closely factory related.

How many do they need? I guess they need one for Toyota and one for Lexus. Didn't they have one for Scion as well?
well those were the past... as I said before, TTE was renamed to TMG when they started the F1 project 6-7-8 years ago.

But the difference here is that they actually want to offer factory models with TMG brand.... basically like F and F-Sport, but for Toyota.

Since these are the guys with huge experience in building engines (they built excellent F1 engine, kompressor for Corolla and turbo for MR-S), it could only be good that they do something for Lexus as well. Like factory kits.
Old 06-20-12, 02:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^^ Like M and M-Sport, Lexus should stick with F and F-Sport, and let Toyota use TMG if they want. Supra TMG has a nice ring to it hah
Old 06-20-12, 02:53 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

^^ Like M and M-Sport, Lexus should stick with F and F-Sport, and let Toyota use TMG if they want. Supra TMG has a nice ring to it hah
I dont think they planned to offer it outside Europe btw... that was interview with Aussie press which falls under TMME.

And I think if they do offer twin turbo GS350, with 500+hp, everyone here will be crying how come it wont come to USA :P.

Main point here is that Toyota Europe itself hasnt had factory sport cars in a while, ever since old Corolla and Yaris TS were done for (6-7 years ago). So this basically means something like Renault Sport in Europe, where they had hot versions of their normal cars like Yaris (Clio) and Auris (Megane)... Or should I say like Polo and Golf GTI.
Old 06-20-12, 02:59 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
I dont think they planned to offer it outside Europe btw... that was interview with Aussie press which falls under TMME.

And I think if they do offer twin turbo GS350, with 500+hp, everyone here will be crying how come it wont come to USA :P.

Main point here is that Toyota Europe itself hasnt had factory sport cars in a while, ever since old Corolla and Yaris TS were done for (6-7 years ago). So this basically means something like Renault Sport in Europe, where they had hot versions of their normal cars like Yaris (Clio) and Auris (Megane)... Or should I say like Polo and Golf GTI.
It's not like the F isn't marketed in Europe. Both the IS-F and the LFA, as well as the F-Sport models, are sold in Europe. Main point here is that while TMG should be applauded for its involvement in tuning Lexus cars, it should never stamp its name on a production Lexus vehicle. That's what the F is for.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-20-12 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 03:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Old 06-20-12, 03:09 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
It's not like the F isn't marketed in Europe. Both the IS-F and the LFA, as well as the F-Sport models, are sold in Europe. Main point here is that while TMG should be applauded for its involvement in tuning Lexus cars, it should never stamp its name on a production Lexus vehicle. That's what the F is for.
who says they will? Lexus sells in such low volumes in Europe that I doubt it... in any case if they do, it will be Euro thing only.

I like how people are going beserk about TMG, it makes little sense. Oh noes, there is TOMs in Japan so in Europe, we should have nothing! Or there was TS and TTE 8 years ago, so today we shouldnt have anything!
Old 06-20-12, 03:10 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I think TMG is just an engineering company. Lexus have F and F-Sport, and Toyota looks like is going with G-Sports, as seen by the various recent Toyota show car with the G-Sports logo on it, FT-86, Prius, Mark X, MR-S, Vellfire, Noah, iQ.

I think G-Sports = GRMN = Gazoo Racing.
Old 06-20-12, 03:22 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts
Thumbs up

Amen, call it "POS" if they want, if they make a LS600 with a twin-turbo 4.6-litre V8 with around 650bhp, I am so hitting it. That would be the perfect daily commuter!!
Wouldn't matter to me also.
If they have the power to go with it, I'm going to rebadge it: GTFO

happy to hear this is coming along
Old 06-20-12, 03:23 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

who says they will?
You said "if they do offer twin turbo GS350, with 500+hp" and that's what I was responding to.
Lexus sells in such low volumes in Europe that I doubt it... in any case if they do, it will be Euro thing only.
Exactly--Lexus sells in such low volumes in Europe, so why on Earth would they want to make such a niche model Euro-only? Such scale of economy would make utterly no sense.
I like how people are going beserk about TMG, it makes little sense. Oh noes, there is TOMs in Japan so in Europe, we should have nothing! Or there was TS and TTE 8 years ago, so today we shouldnt have anything!
TOMs does not stamp its name on a production Lexus either. Bottom line is Lexus should stick to the perfectly good F sub-brand that they've already spent a great deal of marketing effort on.

Toyotas sell in much larger quantities so it's much more OK if each region has its own performance sub-brand.

Last edited by ydooby; 06-20-12 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 03:26 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

I think TMG is just an engineering company. Lexus have F and F-Sport, and Toyota looks like is going with G-Sports, as seen by the various recent Toyota show car with the G-Sports logo on it, FT-86, Prius, Mark X, MR-S, Vellfire, Noah, iQ.

I think G-Sports = GRMN = Gazoo Racing.
GRMN is just a pet project of Toyoda for Japan and they have yet to actually sell anything, i am not sure if thats their goal. Toyota does not have unified sports brand.

For Lexus they might as well call it whatever they want, like F-Sport.
Old 06-20-12, 03:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wouldn't matter to me also.
If they have the power to go with it, I'm going to rebadge it: GTFO

happy to hear this is coming along
So far, "OMG" is my favorite

Or combine them, OMG-GTFO!!

It would be a OMG-GTFO LS600L Twin Turbo

Last edited by BNR34; 06-20-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 03:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

GRMN is just a pet project of Toyoda for Japan and they have yet to actually sell anything, i am not sure if thats their goal. Toyota does not have unified sports brand.

For Lexus they might as well call it whatever they want, like F-Sport.
It is pretty clear that Toyota is launching G-Sports as their unified sports brand. They got a tons of show cars in very recent shows.

I was saying the G in G-Sports came from Gazoo Racing.

Quick Reply: Toyota to launch TMG performance sub-brand