Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Scion iQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-12, 10:08 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
where do you get that info? from the below link....At a cruise-controlled 60 mph, one of our cars, the Chevrolet Cruze Eco, returned 49.4 mpg.
Do you know anyone in real life that actually cruise-controlled at 60 mph?
Old 06-20-12, 11:50 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I think the reason that these tiny little cars never get the best highway mileage is because their aerodynamics stink. They're stubby little things and probably don't have enough overall length to shape and smooth out airflow, resulting in a lot of drag. At least that's my theory.
in instrumented tests, yes... but low weight helps in real life where you accelerate and stop more. This is why in real life, iQ is most efficient non hybrid car sold in the USA.

Aygo is actually more efficient than iQ due to lower weight, but it is also a lot less luxurious car.

It cant be compared to the smart, smart has poor engines.

for instrumented tests, low weight, sedan with larger engine (1.8 or so) is actually what would be the best.

But as I said, look at fuelly and automatic elantra gets 5 MPG less in real life (so does the Fiat 500), than iQ.

Plus this is an city car and in city driving nothing can touch it except for Prius c.
Old 06-20-12, 12:24 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Do you know anyone in real life that actually cruise-controlled at 60 mph?
so you would buy an iQ to cruise at 80mph???
not me.

Originally Posted by spwolf
those are mpg test, where they drove their best to get best mpg possible.

If you think you are going to average 40 MPG in these cars during real driving, you are going to be very very disappointed.

I got my numbers from many real tests where they tested the car... even in most recent CR, Yaris got the best mpg - 32, while for instance Accent which gets "40 MPG" was less than that. Cruze was 28 MPG I believe.

On Fuelly, you have Scion iQ averaging 5 MPG more than "40 MPG" Elantra.
I generally kill the EPA MPG figures ON THE PLUS SIDE because I don't drive like an azz...coast to stops signs/red lights.....averaged over 60+ MPG with my Prius and getting 31mpg with the A5.

Last edited by bagwell; 06-20-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 12:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
Bad aerodynamic drag. Look at the frontal area and how short they are.

Unless you are comparing with the One-77.

The Cygnet is about $50k, is only about 1/3 of the price of the cheapest Vantage. It compete with the mini cooper goodwood, which is also about $50k.

Was joking about the Aston.

It's not just drag.. It's crappy small engines

Old 06-20-12, 12:35 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
so you would buy an iQ to cruise at 80mph???
not me.
You could be an exception. I have been passed by Smart ForTwo many times when I am cruise-controlled at 70 mph. If they are passing me, that means they are doing at least 75~80.
Old 06-20-12, 12:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Was joking about the Aston.

It's not just drag.. It's crappy small engines
Yes was going to mention the crappy small engine too, but decided not to say too much. They have to rev high to get moving. Is funny how that works, tiny engine uses a lot of gas too if you drive it at normal speed, not extra crazy slow.
Old 06-20-12, 01:47 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I think the reason that these tiny little cars never get the best highway mileage is because their aerodynamics stink. They're stubby little things and probably don't have enough overall length to shape and smooth out airflow, resulting in a lot of drag. At least that's my theory.
in instrumented tests, yes... but low weight helps in real life where you accelerate and stop more. This is why in real life, iQ is most efficient non hybrid car sold in the USA.

Aygo is actually more efficient than iQ due to lower weight, but it is also a lot less luxurious car.

It cant be compared to the smart, smart has poor engines.

for instrumented tests, low weight, sedan with larger engine (1.8 or so) is actually what would be the best.

But as I said, look at fuelly and automatic elantra gets 5 MPG less in real life (so does the Fiat 500), than iQ.

Plus this is an city car and in city driving nothing can touch it except for Prius c.
EPA fuel economy tests are conducted in a lab, on a dynamometer (rollers) so poor aerodynamics do not affect the car nor the consumption numbers at all. Poor aerodynamics will have a bad effect on real-world fuel economy but not lab-measured EPA numbers.

Remember that the iQ and the fortwo are city cars, and are optimized for running in the city, not the highway. It is possible to drive at highway speeds, but to get up to those high speeds, the small engines in these cars have to rev really high; that kills fuel economy.

I have also read that the iQ is heavy because its platform will eventually be stretched to produce a small (7-seat?) MPV. The platform would have to be strong enough to hold up the larger car.
Old 06-20-12, 02:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I have also read that the iQ is heavy because its platform will eventually be stretched to produce a small (7-seat?) MPV. The platform would have to be strong enough to hold up the larger car.
those plans were canned... iQ is not that heavy... it is just heavier than cheapo Aygo as the car is not cheapo :-).

I think main problem with iQ is that they should have put some leather in and called it a Lexus. Car is that good.
Old 06-20-12, 03:16 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I think main problem with iQ is that they should have put some leather in and called it a Lexus. Car is that good.
That's what the Cygnet is for.

The CT is already too low for Lexus, let's not bring down Lexus so much like MB with the A-class