Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus pre-owned certified

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 06:55 PM
Norboo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus pre-owned certified

What does this mean exactly? I saw one LX 570 that was certified and it looked great with like new tires, detailed and runs smoothly. Today I saw another that needed major cleaning, runs like crap, almost bald tired and in dire need of a brakes. Manager says it is Lexus Certified.

I always thought when Lexus put their Lexus pre-owned certified, it was trust worthy and the car is in great shape. Up till today, I held Lexus in high regards, now I see them as sleazy used cars salesmen.
Old 06-15-12, 11:32 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus CPO vehicles have to pass a 161 point inspection and to even qualify the vehicle has to have a clean record and be less than 6 model years old AND and have less than 70k miles.

The Lexus CPO warranty is the BEST extended warranty coverage, IMO. Not only are most things covered, but you get 3 years from the day you buy the car or up to 100k miles.....whichever comes first. I bought mine CPO and it has definitely paid for itself. I don't buy new cars, but I will never buy a non-certified used car again!!

As far as the car you came across, it looks like a dealership that may have just dropped the ball when certifying the car. It should have been cleaned as well as possible, the tires should not have been bald and brakes should have been replaced. I would have brought it up with the sales manager. Almost all the CPO vehicle's i've come across look like new. Some have had body parts repainted, but still have clean records...so check and look for obvious signs that the car may have been in an accident before buying. Or even better, get the vehicle inspected by someone outside the dealership.

More on the Lexus CPO Certification:
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/certification.html
Old 06-16-12, 04:52 AM
Norboo
Rookie

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
Lexus CPO vehicles have to pass a 161 point inspection and to even qualify the vehicle has to have a clean record and be less than 6 model years old AND and have less than 70k miles.

The Lexus CPO warranty is the BEST extended warranty coverage, IMO. Not only are most things covered, but you get 3 years from the day you buy the car or up to 100k miles.....whichever comes first. I bought mine CPO and it has definitely paid for itself. I don't buy new cars, but I will never buy a non-certified used car again!!

As far as the car you came across, it looks like a dealership that may have just dropped the ball when certifying the car. It should have been cleaned as well as possible, the tires should not have been bald and brakes should have been replaced. I would have brought it up with the sales manager. Almost all the CPO vehicle's i've come across look like new. Some have had body parts repainted, but still have clean records...so check and look for obvious signs that the car may have been in an accident before buying. Or even better, get the vehicle inspected by someone outside the dealership.

More on the Lexus CPO Certification:
http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/certification.html
I know about Lexus certification. My current LX is CPO certified car.

I did speak with the sales manager and he assures me that it is CPO certified along with few other lies he told me.
Old 06-16-12, 12:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes dealers won't do the certification work until the customer definitely wants it. I know some customers that don't care for the CPO, and would rather get the car for a few grand cheaper. So maybe that's the case with the 2nd one?
Old 06-16-12, 05:30 PM
AdVoC8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cpo

What problems have you guys generally experienced with your CPO's?
Old 06-16-12, 05:44 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AdVoC8
That question really varies. Are you asking about issues with a specific model? Over just the warranty itself? or issues with buying certified period?
Old 06-16-12, 11:17 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

If it looks good and sounds good then it qualifies to be a CPO
Old 06-17-12, 05:03 AM
Norboo
Rookie

Originally Posted by AdVoC8
I bought my 2004, LX 470 back in 2006 with about 30K miles for little under $40K. It currently has 167K miles on it and dealers are offering about $17 to $18K. Along the way, Lexus warranty replaced Nav and the high control. I haven’t had any other problems with the car. I wouldn’t mind keeping the car for another 5 years but I need the extra towing power of the newer LX.

If your question is, do CPO cars give any problems? I would answer no, would I buy another CPO car? Absolutely but not from that second dealer/sleazy manager.
Old 06-17-12, 05:32 AM
dandg
Driver

I just bought a CPO'd 08 GX with 25k on it,they put new brakes front and rear,new battery,filters (cabin-engine) and alignment. In my area (250mile radius) I could see no or very little difference in "ask" price for a CPO GX and one at another non Lexus dealer.I also think most of the best trades(like mine was-low miles dealer serviced every 5k) are kept and CPO'd the lesser ones go to the auctions where the no lexus dealer buy them.

One other advantage I found was the finance rate,they where able to offer me a .9% like they do the new Lexus sales.
So far I am pleased,they delivered the car (over 60 miles) to me and I have the 100k warranty should anything go wrong .