Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 01:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group

Our member natnut posted this article in the 4GS forum, but I think some of the content is perfect for car chat as well. Thanks natnut.

http://www.just-auto.com/interview/y..._id124015.aspx

INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, chief engineer, Lexus Group

Having recently gone on sale in markets throughout Asia, the Pacific Rim and North America, the fourth generation Lexus GS will soon reach dealers in Europe and Russia. Yoshihiko Kanamori, the car's chief engineer, spoke to just-auto at a media preview drive event in Austria and Germany.

Glenn Brooks: Driving the GS 450h both on the autobahn and in the alps this afternoon it's clear that this is a car that feels at home in Europe. What changes did you make over the GS sold in, say, Japan or the US?

Yoshihiko Kanamori: Do you mean suspension settings?

GB: Yes.

YK: Globally, it's the same. One standard.

GB: Even though the US will be the car's main market?

YK: We developed the car to European standards because the conditions here are so tough on vehicles. The development work was done mainly in Europe, though extreme hot and cold weather testing took place in other places.

GB: What TMC (Toyota Motor Corporation) platform is used for the new GS?

YK: This is the N-platform. We use alphabetical names for our platforms. This GS platform is completely new. Maybe another Lexus will use the same platform, but now it is only for the GS.

GB: That means other rear- and all-wheel drive cars - the replacements for the LS and IS?

YK: LS is on the L-platform. I cannot comment on the IS replacement as I am not the chief engineer for that car (he grins).

GB: So a new platform, even though the wheelbase is identical to that of the old GS and the car's other dimensions are also similar.

YK: It is a brand new platform. We did not change the wheelbase as the most important thing with the GS is handing. If we stretch the wheelbase, agility is reduced. I decided that it is better to keep the same wheelbase.

GB: And is there a cost saving for manufacturing?

YK: (He answers through the translator for the first time). Yes of course there were benefits for CapEx by keeping the same wheelbase measurement but we also had a look at the amount of rear seat space that we wanted. If we increased the wheelbase, that meant we might jeopardise the handling, so we couldn't do that.

GB: The new car line-up consists of the GS 250, GS 350 and GS 450h: each powered by a V6. Why is there no replacement for the GS 460?

YK: (He smiles) I know journalists love V8 engines! Two months ago I went to Sydney for the Australian test drive launch in the Blue Mountains. There, each journalist asked me the same question! (he laughs).

So, the answer is that we are environmentally conscious and we wanted a hybrid as the top model. And so, we took the decision not to replace the V8. Also, the take up volume for the former GS 460 was very small. So, the new GS 450h is not only the most powerful car in the range, but its fuel efficiency and emissions make it more appealing for those customers who want the power of a V8 but they have the advantages of the hybrid powertrain.

GB: The Infiniti M offers not only a petrol hybrid but also a diesel in European markets. And now Mercedes-Benz has a diesel-hybrid E-Class. When should we expect a GS diesel or diesel hybrid?

YK: This time we didn't develop a diesel or diesel hybrid. Diesel engines are expensive (to develop).

GB: And yet the majority of cars in the European E-premium segment are powered by four-cylinder diesel engines.

YK: We can't use a four-cylinder engine easily in the GS and anyway, for NVH, a four-cylinder diesel is not ideal. And so what we offer our customers is a range of V6 petrol engines, with the hybrid as the top engine.

GB: I noticed when looking at the car earlier that the boot space is far larger in the GS 450h than it was in the old car. What engineering changes did you make to achieve this – did you somehow shrink or repackage the hybrid components?

YK: Yes, the space behind the rear seat now has a differently shaped hybrid battery, so we have more room for the boot, and the auxiliary battery is now under the floor.

GB: And obviously you must have worked closely with the battery supplier to specify this new, stacked configuration for the hybrid system's cells.

YK: Yes, I used the same supplier as previously, Panasonic, and also, the battery capacity is the same as previously. But the battery had to be repositioned, or restacked.

GB: What is your priority for future hybrid system batteries: lower weight or more compact designs?

YK: Both! Toyota and Lexus specify the battery design and we must work with Panasonic for the 'world standard' specification.

GB: What are your thoughts on the quest to remove weight from cars – after all, the new GS 450h weighs almost 2,000kg if you include the driver?

YK: The new GS hybrid is lighter than the previous model. We have changed the materials in some parts – when we redesigned the rear suspension for better handling and more boot space we also made the components lighter. We have used more high tensile steel too. And previously we used asphalt sheets for sound deadening, now we have a spray-type material. The advantage is that we use less in places where it does not need to be so thickly applied.

It is very important that you do not remove the refinement of a luxury vehicle when you seek to take away weight. On a Lexus you must not compromise the luxury aspects just for the sake of making a lighter car: this would be unacceptable.

GB: What project will you move on to next?

YK: No, I am not leaving the GS. I will stay as chief engineer because I must specify and evaluate the next model year changes. If there is a specification change, maybe the performance of one engine, then I am responsible for that. My job continues.

GB: That suggests there will be another engine to come for the GS.

YK: Yes, we have a lower displacement hybrid. It will come to European markets in the second half of 2013.

GB: When will you be shifted to another, future model?

YK: I don't know; that is for my boss to say.

GB: Is it likely that as a chief engineer for a Lexus model that you would stay with Lexus or might you be assigned to a future Toyota vehicle?

YK: Maybe. (He then considers the question further) With Lexus. Yes, it is likely. Toyota and Lexus Group are different. If people who are working for Lexus keep going back to Toyota, I think it defeats the objective of trying to build on the brand's exclusivity. So people who are working for Lexus generally will stay.

GB: What are your thoughts on Lexus entering new segments. For example, rivals for the Audi Q5 and Q3?

YK: Hmmm….maybe (he laughs). I cannot say. But maybe. Yes, we have the CT, and sedans - ES, IS, GS & LS and SUVS – GX, RX and LX but not compact SUVs.

GB: What about some more coupes to fill the gaps compared to your rivals?

YK: There is the IS-C but yes, I think maybe it would be good to have a 'star' for each segment as Audi does - more coupes would be good.

GB: And what happens after the 500th LFA is made in December? Will there be another production run, perhaps a convertible version?

YK: An LFA spyder? I cannot say, I am sorry (but he smiles).

Last edited by bitkahuna; 06-15-12 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fixed natnut's name :o
Old 06-15-12, 01:42 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Laughs and smiles can mean a lot of things...
Old 06-15-12, 01:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

nothing really new here except there's not going to be anything new (as far as the gs) that we didn't already know.

i've concluded that the lack of a gs v8 model makes sense for lexus. they want to showcase the hybrid tech, and the gs450h is faster and more fuel efficient than the 350, so it's the top dog.

i expect the next LS will have a v6 model too
Old 06-15-12, 01:53 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think Asian markets have had a V6 LS variant for a couple of years now. Can someone confirm?
Old 06-15-12, 02:04 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there is no plan for V8.
Old 06-15-12, 02:22 PM
asoksevil
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I think Asian markets have had a V6 LS variant for a couple of years now. Can someone confirm?
No they don't. The LS460 and the LS600h is the one they get.
Old 06-15-12, 02:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
nothing really new here except there's not going to be anything new (as far as the gs) that we didn't already know.

i've concluded that the lack of a gs v8 model makes sense for lexus. they want to showcase the hybrid tech, and the gs450h is faster and more fuel efficient than the 350, so it's the top dog.

i expect the next LS will have a v6 model too
i have no problem with hybrid replacing v8, but i would want it to be more competitive to today's v8, not yesterday's. yes, it's more fuel efficient, but those who wants performance, epa rating is not really that high on the list
Old 06-15-12, 03:30 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Where's that picture of me and him.. ??

I asked him all these questions last August.. (Joe Z Laughs & Smiles)

Great Q&A session..!!!

~ Joe Z
Old 06-15-12, 04:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Originally Posted by rominl
i have no problem with hybrid replacing v8, but i would want it to be more competitive to today's v8, not yesterday's. yes, it's more fuel efficient, but those who wants performance, epa rating is not really that high on the list
Yeah, if their GS hybrid can do 0-60 in 4.7-5.0 sec, I would have no problem without a V8, but current 450H is a tick faster than regular 350s.
Old 06-15-12, 06:37 PM
LexFather

Nice read again lol

Old 06-15-12, 07:28 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yeah, if their GS hybrid can do 0-60 in 4.7-5.0 sec, I would have no problem without a V8, but current 450H is a tick faster than regular 350s.
I suspect the problem is that the hybrid is much heavier than the V8, so that sucks all the power away, such that it's unable to do 0-60 in under 5 seconds.
That extra weight also affects the hybrid's handling [nee agility] over the V8 too.
So the hybrid is not a pure replacement for the V8 afterall.

But then, when we start talking about handling, even the V8 is not the next step beyond the V6, because the V8 has a very heavy nose, so it lacks agility relative to the V6.
The next step beyond a V6 might be a V6 Supercharger or Twin Turbo, that can handle just as well as the V6 atmospheric.
The supercharger is better at lower revs, compared to the turbocharger which is better at higher revs.
But then neither the supercharger nor the turbocharger has the flat torque curve of an atmospheric engine.

So in the end, we are left with no single "perfect" engine, but horses for courses.
However, the V6 is the best alrounder...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-15-12 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-15-12, 08:39 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

One thing I'm pleased with is that the GS Chief Engineer is staying on this project to evaluate customer feedback on the GS and implement changes as required.

That ensures continuity in the GS development and improvement program and not some piecemeal improvement if some completely new person unfamiliar with the GS were to take over the reins.

Another thing is that they are keeping the engineers and technicians exclusive to Lexus and are no longer sharing them with Toyota. That should ensure that Lexus develops a brand identity separate from Toyota.

Last edited by natnut; 06-15-12 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-16-12, 02:03 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

I don't see much of the new GS on the streets. However, I do see a lot of the infiniti M.

Not sure if this is enough evidence of what the market desires.
Old 06-16-12, 04:39 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I don't see much of the new GS on the streets. However, I do see a lot of the infiniti M.

Not sure if this is enough evidence of what the market desires.
Infiniti M sales figures are less than the GS :

Link :
http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/search/...?max-results=5
Old 06-16-12, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

^^ amazing lexus es+gs sales still are less than 5/e, but i suspect the new es is going to change that, although it may eat into gs sales too. either way, lexus is definitely stepping it up!

Quick Reply: INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group