Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 04:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
Not everyone who wants V8 torque wants to pay V8 fuel prices and cause V8 carbon footprint.
since it's $250K where you live, i hardly think fuel cost is an issue.
as for v8 carbon footprint, lol, if someone's worried about that, go get a prius.

the GS450h performs like a V8 for real-life road manoeuvers, delivers a connected road feel, all while delivering the carbon footprint of a 4 cylinder and with no harmful diesel emissions to boot.
great - why isn't lexus advertising this then?

Originally Posted by rominl
there are ads for new es already?
no, there's still tons of ads here for current one.
Old 06-28-12, 05:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Ok, let me put it this way. If I was looking for a car that saves me lots of gas, the GSh would be the last car on my list. Simply because the ESh would be a better choice. Contrary, If I was looking for a car with most power and speed, the GSh once again would be the last on my list. Since I would most likely get the 550i or E550. As you can see, the GSh does not really have anything spectacular that would justify its high price tag.

Which is why I said that Lexus should have kept the GSh as high perfomance hybrid. Leave the gas saving for ES.

By the way, the new GS450h 0-60 times are 5.6 secs, compared to old GS450h 5.2 secs.
^^ great post

when considering though that it's not best in mpg or speed it seems undesirable, but to me it's the combination of attributes that make it desirable to a certain kind of buyer. the esh will still be fwd. the gs450h is a technological marvel, and unique. it really has no competition. but whether many are going to pay $70k+ for it ... we'll have to see.
Old 06-28-12, 07:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by natnut
Not everyone who wants V8 torque wants to pay V8 fuel prices and cause V8 carbon footprint.

According to most real life reviews the new GS450h's torque is described as plenty and adequate. Apparently, the 4GS engineers tuned the hybrid drivetrain to deliver V8 levels of torque sensation and ease of lane changing and overtaking is similar to current V8s.

Like Rominl said in the past, too many of you(including me) are guilty of magazine racing without actually testing the car for ourselves. From the reviews I read (and I posted a video review in the 4GS sub-forum), the GS450h performs like a V8 for real-life road manoeuvers, delivers a connected road feel, all while delivering the carbon footprint of a 4 cylinder and with no harmful diesel emissions to boot.

The truth is that most countries have prohibitive fuel costs that make V8s unfeasible and the big unspoken secret is that current diesels who meet Euro 5 standards may still have harmful emissions other than carbon dioxide that are carcinogenic (latest WHO study). IMO, this new GS450h allows those in other countries to enjoy V8 torque without guilt and without harm to the environment and to the future generation.

Diesels in Europe command a price premium over comparative petrol models with similar hp with the only advantage being lower fuel costs and increased low-end torque. The GS450h is Lexus equivalent of the Euro's diesels except without the carcinogenic diesel emissions so it similarly commands a premium over the GS V6. Lexus is thinking globally and not just for US consumers...
You make a valid point

However, the GS450h is not a replacement to a V8 model within the Lexus range. Many of us here at Club Lexus believe that a V8 version (or in other words a UR engine) for the 4GS should be added.

Granted, the GS450h excels at what it does and make no mistake, it delivers...........for those who want it.

However, to say that this new GS450h will take the place of the last gen GS460? Ridiculous imho.

Simply put, as an inverse to what you mentioned, there are still those who also prefer a regular full-internal combusion V8 over a V6 hybrid. Should those who prefer it that way be given the short end of the stick?

P.S.

[quote=1SICKLEX]
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yessir....and it needs to be around 400hp....400 is the new 300....500 is the new 400

The other option would be a higher hp hybrid then, making around 400hp.

Key number is 400
Agreed sir
For a regular GS V8, the current 340-380 hp would be good enough............but if Lexus can push it to 400, then by all means, fire away.

Then

For a GS-F, must be AT LEAST 500 HP (BARE MINIMUM!!!!!!!)
Old 06-28-12, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
You make a valid point

However, the GS450h is not a replacement to a V8 model within the Lexus range. Many of us here at Club Lexus believe that a V8 version (or in other words a UR engine) for the 4GS should be added.

Granted, the GS450h excels at what it does and make no mistake, it delivers...........for those who want it.

However, to say that this new GS450h will take the place of the last gen GS460? Ridiculous imho.

Simply put, as an inverse to what you mentioned, there are still those who also prefer a regular full-internal combusion V8 over a V6 hybrid. Should those who prefer it that way be given the short end of the stick?

P.S.

Agreed sir
For a regular GS V8, the current 340-380 hp would be good enough............but if Lexus can push it to 400, then by all means, fire away.

Then

For a GS-F, must be AT LEAST 500 HP (BARE MINIMUM!!!!!!!)
lexus already stated that they won't have v8 and the gs450h is their "replacement" (so to speak) of the v8 model though

on the other hand, why you think it's ridiculous to say gs450h is replacement of 3gs460? 3gs460 has what, 342hp? it's right where the gsh is. not to mention if put in power mode, the gs450h probably can go head to head with 3gs460 just fine.

it's just with today's standard, that kind of power is a bit lacking for "v8"

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no, there's still tons of ads here for current one.
ah ok, that's what i notice too and can't understand why. why not start promoting the new es already
Old 06-28-12, 11:35 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Ah ok, that's what i notice too and can't understand why. why not start promoting the new es already.
Here you Go..!!! Arriving August 2012....

I like the ending Scenery....

~ Joe Z
Old 06-28-12, 12:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

ah that's right joe, i think i saw that one once before.

with the es coming, i guess 4gs marketing will slow down. in fact i don't think i have seen 4gs ads lately
Old 06-28-12, 12:24 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ah that's right joe, i think i saw that one once before.

with the es coming, i guess 4gs marketing will slow down. in fact i don't think i have seen 4gs ads lately
They are only running the two Rx F-Sport commercials here right now (page turner and that silly trophy one).

Can't watch the ES commercial until I get on the Ipad but thats a good looking shot of the ES above..... I like.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 06-28-12 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 12:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I think they stopped showing GS ads somewhere in late March.....
Old 06-28-12, 01:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Here you Go..!!! Arriving August 2012....
nice video! obviously longer than a commercial though - online only i assume, or maybe they'll make 30 second versions for tv.

none here.

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I think they stopped showing GS ads somewhere in late March.....
seems that way...

and seems a video like this can only hurt gs sales and increase confusion.

while us techies know the big differences between es and gs, i think the general market won't see much.
Old 07-06-12, 07:02 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default The Office - GS Boss Yoshihiko Kanamori in his new GS 450h

Thanks to **********.com.

The Office - GS Boss Yoshihiko Kanamori in his new GS 450h

Some offices can be intimidating. You know: the huge desk, the seating arrangement, the motivation poster. This one isn’t like that. I feel right at home in the supportive embrace of what instantly feels like a bespoke leather seat. It’s airy and cool, despite the heat of the California sun outside. Even the modern-classic analog clock lit up softly when I opened the door. I am seated, let me add, in the all-new GS, and the car’s Chief Engineer, Yoshihiko Kanamori, has just joined me in the driver’s seat where he belongs. He’s in charge, this is his office.

This meeting is about how the new GS introduces a new dynamic layer to the bedrock of progressive luxury every Lexus owner understands. Ahead of us is a track comprising two miles of double-lane changes, deceptively tight slaloms, and fast straights configured by Lexus Meisters to illustrate the advanced abilities of the car. And there are two halves, mirror images designed to reveal the transformation that the GS undergoes when you make the most of its amazing mode-change system.

We’ve chosen the GS 450h for this experience because the hybrid model sits at the heart of the new GS lineup. For many, it will be the optimum model, offering the most appealing mix of remarkable efficiency, low emissions, and high-performance driving pleasure. Before the drive, here’s a quick GS 450h recap. The new vehicle is powered by a 3.5-liter D4S Atkinson cycle V6 engine and a powerful, water-cooled electric motor. This gives it overall output of 338 hp (252 kW) and 257 lb.-ft. of pulling power that takes the car from zero to 60 mph in just 5.6 seconds.

All this and an estimated combined mpg and emissions figures of 31 mpg and 137 g/km respectively. The car—like all other GS variants—is extremely rigid, 14 percent more so than the previous model for enhanced precision and smoothness. It features an innovative suspension design that reduces weight and increases ride comfort. And this model is equipped with Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS), which allows the driver to select either Normal or SPORT damper settings. It also offers ECO, Normal, SPORT S and SPORT S+ modes.

Kanamori sets off with the GS in Normal mode. I can tell directly that there isn’t going to be that much time for on-track talking because he’s hard on the accelerator, and, though at one with the GS, he’s concentrating on what he’s doing. We’ll get to the details when we’re parked. Pickup is instant and smooth, with the V6 moving from a low growl to a deep, muted bark before we hit 70 mph on the long straight. Kanamori negotiates the double-lane changes at a speed I wouldn’t dare, and, yes, the tires screech and there’s a moment or two of drift (testament to his skill), but the GS securely locks back to its line every time. We power on through a short straight before twisting through a series of chicanes marked out with cones. Kanamori leaves them unscathed. He’s driving hard, but it looks easy. In the passenger seat, the g-forces don’t hit me like heavy punches; they feel more like steady, circular waves. And even at this pace it feels more like I’m gently swaying within the security of the firmly bolstered seat, rather than getting thrown about.

Last edited by natnut; 07-06-12 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 07:03 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default continued :

After a big sweep at the top of the course, Kanamori turns the central rotary dial to SPORT S+. The next corner beckons and we repeat the experience. It’s sharper and quicker all the way through the second mile. The set-up, evidently, gives this gifted driver more speed and, dare I say it, greater confidence. Kanamori looks across at me from under a raised eyebrow and smiles. "This is what it’s about," is what he’s telling me.

Indeed it is, as I discover when I take my turn behind the wheel. Emboldened by Kanamori’s display, I hit the track with gusto. Needless to say, I take out a few cones―but this feels good. Normal mode for the first mile is a joy; the car flows through the twists, it picks up speedwith alacrity, and it decelerates with modulated precision, coupled with the always gratifying whir of regenerative braking power. But then I twist the dial to SPORT S+ and the instrument panel glows red. The whole setup seems to firm up at once, and my confidence rockets. It’s like instantly finding new, ultra-sharp clarity. I’m picking up more road-feel through the steering wheel, turn-in is quicker, and I’m coming out of the exits and into the straights much faster.

Another lap. I repeat the process. It’s the same story but even quicker this time. So what’s going on?

We cruise to a halt, settle, and then Kanamori explains. "The first thing you will have noticed in the hybrid is the instant and smooth acceleration. That’s because with this car, there’s 100 percent torque available from the electric motor at zero rpm, and, thanks to the hybrid transmission, there’s never a pause for an upshift, never a pause for a downshift."

But what about the differences between the modes? "With Normal," he says, "you get the best balance of everything; attributes like performance, emissions, fuel economy, and handling. Cars without AVS―as is the case in certain regions―have SPORT S mode, which itself makes a difference through significantly faster throttle responses and transmission shifts. Steering feel improves, too, because there’s less power assist. In the hybrid version, just switch to S mode and use the paddle shifters to feel a sporty g-force deceleration when downshifting.

We drove the AVS-equipped GS 450h, which adds some interesting extras. The steering, for instance, becomes even more direct, and the shock absorbers sharpen up. That’s because the variable suspension is now integrated with our stability system, Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management (VDIM), so individual shock adjustments happen hundreds, maybe thousands, of times a second. This greatly reduces unwanted body movement all around. The system is so advanced that it can even loosen up to help smooth out the jarring effects of damaged sections of road."

This all explains my confidence, I point out. Kanamori replies with a compliment about my driving. He’s a generous man.

Likewise, the GS is a generous vehicle, abundant with progressive thinking when it comes to how a human being can interact with a driving machine. In fact, the last thing Kanamori said to me on that memorable day in Southern California was this: "When someone drives the new GS, whether it’s the 250, the 350, the hybrid, or the F SPORT, I want them to know and feel that we at Team GS put everything we had into making this car."

Old 09-05-12, 12:29 PM
LexFather

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...cery-cart.html

. I drove the F Sport back to back with a BMW 5 Series and a Mercedes E-Class on the a wide-open, high-speed course on the old runways at El Toro, and the European cars felt like donkey carts compared to the Lexus.

The GS particularly the F-sport continues to get amazing praise for being the sportiest car in class. Internet isn't raining down with raise though, we hear how the ES will kill GS sale and other crap.

Lexus should be commended for waking up and really making the GS a full blown sports sedan here.

The chief engineer must be proud!

Old 09-05-12, 01:53 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

donkey carts....funny.
Wonder what c&d has to say to this.
And Jeremy Clarkson too. He is the biggest fanboy of the bimmer.
Old 09-05-12, 02:49 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Why is the Volvo XC70 on that graph hah
Old 09-05-12, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by chikoo
donkey carts....funny.
Wonder what c&d has to say to this.
And Jeremy Clarkson too. He is the biggest fanboy of the bimmer.
Europeans say something like "While GS handling has improved, it is still no match for best from Germany" :-)

Quick Reply: INTERVIEW: Yoshihiko Kanamori, Lexus GS chief engineer, Lexus Group