Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Best site to sell the car privately?

Old 06-06-12, 09:52 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Best site to sell the car privately?

I am planning to sell my Lexus, I have never sold such a newer car of this value before.

I am thinking not to bother with Craigslist, and use the classifieds here or autotrader.com?
Old 06-06-12, 10:08 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used Autotrader in the past for selling family members cars and it worked well.
Old 06-06-12, 10:15 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Also when taking payments, do most buyers just write you a cashier's check and then you give him the keys? Is there a safer way than this?
Old 06-06-12, 11:02 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Autotrader worked well with my selling my 3 year old BMW 335i last fall -- also a big ticket item. I asked for a cash deposit to hold the car for a few days and take it off the market while he got the rest of his funds together, then took part in cash, part in a real cashiers check on a mutually agreeable LOCAL bank upon delivery (never a personal check). I gave him a bill of sale with mileage, no-warranty as-is statement, and we both signed, then I gave him a copy of that, the keys and signed over the pink slip. Worked out just fine and we were both appropriately covered.
Old 06-06-12, 11:53 AM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Thanks for the info!

Is the car going to be value much better when the 6 / 70,000 warranty is still in effect?

The way I see it, the new owner can feel comfortable about potential issues, so it would be easier to sell.
Old 06-06-12, 11:57 AM
BertL

If any warranties are still in effect, I'd be sure you state that in your ad. Put yourself in the buyers position. If you would be interested in the fact or thing you are talking about, likely some buyer will as well. Spend the time to read other listings, understand your competition, and spend a few days working on the text, as well as photos you plan to use. The whole package should show off your car in the best and honest light, and help answer questions buyers may have. If you use autotrader, you'll find on their site lots of helpful considerations.

Last edited by BertL; 06-06-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 06-06-12, 03:28 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Stock4AG
Also when taking payments, do most buyers just write you a cashier's check and then you give him the keys? Is there a safer way than this?
It's safer and more secure that both of you handle the money transactions at your bank.
When it clears, you hand him the keys.
Old 06-06-12, 03:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

I've also used Autotrader and had a good experience
Old 06-06-12, 03:45 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
It's safer and more secure that both of you handle the money transactions at your bank.
When it clears, you hand him the keys.
I have deposited a cashier check before and the bank told me it will not clear for at least a day.
Old 06-06-12, 03:58 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I have deposited a cashier check before and the bank told me it will not clear for at least a day.
that's one of the inconvenience of a private party sale, but seller holds the card

my past transactions:

my last transaction, I went with buyer to his bank and talk with the manager, he bought the cashier's check, we went to my bank and deposited right there.

Or you could do a bank to bank wire transfer-manager will tell you if it clears within 15 minute

same bank-I was the buyer and we did a bank to bank deposit, no fees
Old 06-06-12, 04:05 PM
SC3coupe
Instructor

I think I will go with autotrader,
another thing, I seriously have no idea how much to price my car? Start high and save some for hagglers?

I am in the SF Bay Area, I looked at KBB plus some did some local searches still have no idea.
Old 06-06-12, 04:44 PM
BertL

If you start too high, you'll get little to no people that email/call you, and like with real estate, listing high, then lowering your listed price (possibly over and over) does not tend to accomplish much except add to your anxiety, enlongate closure of a deal, and drive possible buyers away from even looking. Suggest you try to know what you really want and add just a little to that so you have some (but not a lot) negotiation room. IMO every buyer will want "something off" to close the deal -- it's the way most of us are in the US these days. Again, suggest if you are going to use autotrader, sign up for an ID there and start pursuing their FAQs, etc. before then starting your listing.. It will give you some good food for thought.
Old 06-06-12, 05:24 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I will go with autotrader,
another thing, I seriously have no idea how much to price my car? Start high and save some for hagglers?

I am in the SF Bay Area, I looked at KBB plus some did some local searches still have no idea.
Check out the KBB for private sale and price around there. Don't price much higher than the KBB value, but definitely leave room for negotiating. I would price about 1k more than I was comfortable with selling the car for and go from there. Use the 1k as negotiating room. Just make sure you are around what other similar cars in your area are selling for. You don't want to be too low or worse, too high.
Old 06-06-12, 05:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to choose Autotrader, make sure to do some research on the site of the same car your are selling, get some idea how you will price your car. I always do the price medium low to get more interest, selling it faster means more to me than getting couple hundred dollar or even 500 dollars more.
Old 06-06-12, 06:45 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
If you decide to choose Autotrader, make sure to do some research on the site of the same car your are selling, get some idea how you will price your car. I always do the price medium low to get more interest, selling it faster means more to me than getting couple hundred dollar or even 500 dollars more.
a big +1 here....sure KBB/NADA will give you values, but Autotrader is a lot more realistic to see what similar cars are actually selling for.

also -- I always accept cashiers checks with a bill of sale and a copy of the buyers driver's license---with all that I give the buyer the keys. I like to think that if the check doesn't clear for some reason my insurance company will treat it as a theft (hopefully).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best site to sell the car privately?