Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

USAA's Best Value list for new vehicles...interesting stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 06:40 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts
Default USAA's Best Value list for new vehicles...interesting stuff...

But I am not sure what, if any, weight it carries in the auto community, as USAA is not really a huge entity.

The 2012 Best Value List

Large Sedan: Dodge Charger
Midsize Sedan: Toyota Camry Hybrid
Small Sedan: Hyundai Elantra
Large Luxury Sedan: Hyundai Genesis
Midsize Luxury Sedan: Volvo S60
Large SUV: Chevrolet Traverse
Midsize SUV: Dodge Journey
Small SUV: Kia Sportage
Large Luxury SUV: Audi Q7
Midsize Luxury SUV: Lexus RX 450h
Large Pickup: Toyota Tundra 2WD
Small Pickup: Nissan Frontier
Sports: Ford Mustang
Coupe: Honda CR-Z (hybrid)
Wagon: Nissan Juke
Minivan: Dodge Caravan

Automobiles that make the list offer consumers the best financial value of all the vehicles USAA evaluates as part of a broader rating system called USAA Preferred. Quantitative data are used to evaluate the vehicles' cost, safety and reliability, among other key factors. Nearly 80 cars, trucks and minivans are currently designated as USAA Preferred vehicles, and the Best Value list represents the vehicles at the top of each category.
"Thirty percent1 of members who added a new model year vehicle to their USAA auto insurance policy in 2011 chose a USAA Preferred or Best Value vehicle," says Steve Thompson, an assistant vice president with USAA. "The goal of the list is to help members identify vehicles that offer better safety ratings, lower insurance premium costs, higher fuel economy, better overall reliability and lower MSRP compared to other vehicles in the same category."
Automotive expert Lauren Fix, The Car Coach®, notes that the average vehicle on the road today is 10 years old.
"As the economy improves, new car sales are expected to increase as consumers begin replacing their clunkers with new models," says Fix. "Summer is a great time to get an excellent deal on a 2012 model, especially as used car costs remain nearly on par with new vehicles."
https://www.usaa.com/inet/ent_blogs/..._06_magpoll-06

I am not sure how a few of those vehicles got on that list, but I am definately glad to see one of the vehicles I am considering for my wife is on there
Old 06-05-12, 08:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Good for the Volvo S60, a well rounded car. Not so sure about the CR-Z getting the coupe category or the Frontier getting small pickup, the Tacoma is a better choice IMO
Old 06-06-12, 04:59 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Too many Dodges on that list...
Old 06-06-12, 06:44 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
That's because they arent the same vehicles they were even 3 years ago. Times are changing, and what do you know? American's can actually make a decent automobile.
Old 06-06-12, 07:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

What do you mean, "Too many"? Right now, the more the better. Dodge's reputation, in the past, was so bad that their newer products, which are in fact much better, are finally getting some credit. It's like the old Hyundai slogan when they finally changed around 2000 or so and started building credible products......"Driving is Believing".
Old 06-06-12, 09:05 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
That's because they arent the same vehicles they were even 3 years ago. Times are changing, and what do you know? American's can actually make a decent automobile.
I agree the Charger is much improved. But I wouldn't classify updates to the Caravan or Journey on par with actual "new" Chrysler products like the Charger, 300 and Durango.

Last edited by tex2670; 06-06-12 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 07:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I agree the Charger is much improved. But I wouldn't classify updates to the Caravan or Journey on par with actual "new" Chrysler products like the Charger, 300 and Durango.
I reviewed a new Journey not long ago. It was a noticeable improvement from earlier-generation models, though, granted, long-term durability (a traditional Chrysler weak point) won't be known for some time yet.

As for the Caravan and Town & Country, Chrysler plans to drop at least one of them, but it is unclear which one. Different news-sources give different info on that, so I'm not going to post any of them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-06-12 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 04:52 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I reviewed a new Journey not long ago. It was a noticeable improvement from earlier-generation models, though, granted, long-term durability (a traditional Chrysler weak point) won't be known for some time yet.

As for the Caravan and Town & Country, Chrysler plans to drop at least one of them, but it is unclear which one. Different news-sources give different info on that, so I'm not going to post any of them.
Which is why I don't get the "Best Value". I get that Chrysler is on the rise, and building better cars. But depreciation and long term repair costs don't improve as rapidly as that.