Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 01:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Original CL FB Post:

Original Thread
Old 06-05-12, 05:38 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, and I really think they botched the exterior design of the 4GS, saw it several times on the road and is not impressed at all, sigh ...
Old 06-05-12, 05:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

GS looks like bigger IS.

Since Hyundai usually copies many other cars, should Lexus and others redesign all of their cars so parts wont look like Hyundai?
Old 06-05-12, 06:25 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the 4GS. While I do see that the rear looks similar to the Sonata, it still has a much more aggressive appearance.

In short, I like 'dat booty.
Old 06-05-12, 06:38 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

besides the more expensive exhaust treatment, i actually think the sonata 'rear' looks BETTER, maybe because the top left/right of the back flow more elegantly and softly into the sides whereas the GS looks 'thin' and more boxy there.

and what a joke that people on fb are saying hyundai copied lexus when the sonata came out years before.

i think lexus completely blew it on the exterior of the 4GS. but maybe they took a page from the prior 5 series - like this, it was no looker, but the dynamics were good and it still sold well.

plus no v8, missing features (no trunk closer in u.s., no power folding mirrors), continued extremely limited option selection and even supply... just makes the whole buying experience irritating for those who want what they want!

dynamically though, and on the interior, it's the best GS so far. butta face...
Old 06-05-12, 06:40 AM
LexFather

This has been discussed a zillion times, recent thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-styling.html

We all know Hyundai is very good as copying different styles/brands and merging it into one car. The 4GS rear is simply an evolution of Lexus rear ends with the LED tubes being an evolution of the LS 460 ones.

So we have some similarity in the tailights and that is b/c Lexus was one of the first luxury brands I remember that used their tailights as aerodynamic pieces where they stick out from the body. What Hyundai has done is no different than what we saw with the Nissan Altima/Maxima/G etc all having similarities to the 2/3GS and some people acted like Lexus somehow copied them.

The GS while debuting the new spindle grill is an evolution of design since the first gen in 1993. Today it is very very difficult for 3 box sedans to look different especially with non luxury brands now adding style to their family sedans.

So Lexus bring us a 4 door coupe (crap that will then be called a copy of the CLS )

Old 06-05-12, 06:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
besides the more expensive exhaust treatment, i actually think the sonata 'rear' looks BETTER, maybe because the top left/right of the back flow more elegantly and softly into the sides whereas the GS looks 'thin' and more boxy there.

and what a joke that people on fb are saying hyundai copied lexus when the sonata came out years before.

i think lexus completely blew it on the exterior of the 4GS. but maybe they took a page from the prior 5 series - like this, it was no looker, but the dynamics were good and it still sold well.

plus no v8, missing features (no trunk closer in u.s., no power folding mirrors), continued extremely limited option selection and even supply... just makes the whole buying experience irritating for those who want what they want!

dynamically though, and on the interior, it's the best GS so far. butta face...
My s/n is oohpapi44 and I co-sign this message.

1998 has and will not be repeated and I doubt if anyone cares much at Corporate.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 06-05-12 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 07:00 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

p
Its not a joke. Lexus actually has design continuity and the GS rear is again an evolution of Lexus and the GS from 1993 on.

The fact of the matter is people are short term memories with design and simply remember the latest thing. The Sonata design is a blend of Mercedes/Lexus so of course its going to resemble both.

Again no different than when the 3GS came out and some people yelled "omg looks like Maxima/Atima/G" when the GS was an evolution of its prior design with new "L-finesse" touches.

So here we are with Hyundai's that look like Lexus. The Genesis coupe clearly copied the G37 coupe. The Veracruz looked like the old RX. The Genesis sedan is a blend of Mercedes/Lexus/Infiniit/BMW.

Old 06-05-12, 07:02 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hmm.........to be honest, I don't see what the big deal is.

These are two different cars that satisfy their own product segments but they are both superb cars in their own right. If I had money (like a car collector), both of these cars would be included in my selection.
Old 06-05-12, 07:03 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
GS looks like bigger IS.

I totally agree. And to those who blame BMW's and Audi's series look the same just different in size - well, now Lexus had totally followed that pattern. The new GS totally lost its personality comparing to 2nd and even 3rd generations. Now IS, GS and LS all look so similar especially from a side. On a first glance you can only differentiate them by size...

Last edited by lalexusgs; 06-05-12 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-05-12, 08:18 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fact is there is stylistic overlap happening all over the place. It's EXTREMELY hard to come up with a unique, original styling element that won't immediately prove controversial. That's probably why Lexus went for something like the Spindle to help distinguish the new generation of cars. I rather look at the WHOLE car than details because, given that, there's no way in the world I would ever confuse a GS for a Sonata.

I think folks need to relax about claiming rip offs with things like taillights and window trim. Gets tired.
Old 06-05-12, 08:23 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Though they do like strikingly similar I must say it's only from the rear but other wise I must say the new GS is more like a IS XL.
Old 06-05-12, 08:31 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about the hold evolution and copy crap. A car company should be able to change their car design if it looks to similar to a car that's already hit the market.
To me it's not a big deal I will never confuse the two cars.
Old 06-05-12, 08:46 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general design of the rear ends of both cars is stereotypically Asian and looks similar to many other Asian sedans. I posted a thread on this a while back, but before Nissan found their current design theme and Honda went ugly, the rear ends of almost every Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Acura, Infiniti, Nissan or Mazda all shared the same basic cues and shapes with the differences lying in execution. Hyundai latched onto this design theme in the last few years as well - trapezoial grill, feline swept back headlights, horizontal tail lights, etc.

I do wish that the rear end of the GS was more distinctive because, as a $50+k luxury car, I think it needs to be discernable at first glance. However, I whole-heartedly disagree with the notion that Lexus copied Hyundai. The rear end of the GS is similar to the IS and LS, but Lexus stll could have done more to make it unique.
Old 06-05-12, 08:48 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by speedflex
Fact is there is stylistic overlap happening all over the place. It's EXTREMELY hard to come up with a unique, original styling element that won't immediately prove controversial. That's probably why Lexus went for something like the Spindle to help distinguish the new generation of cars. I rather look at the WHOLE car than details because, given that, there's no way in the world I would ever confuse a GS for a Sonata.

I think folks need to relax about claiming rip offs with things like taillights and window trim. Gets tired.
I agree with this. We are blessed with stylistic cars are price points unimagined a few years ago. The Sonata is pretty good looking to me (outside the front) and is very stylish for its class. I honestly though don't see the similarity outside of rear head on tailights. The cars are completely different. Again there is no doubt both are stylish and the Sonata IMO is nice.

I agree with the Spindle 100%. While I might not completely love it and if I was fine with past Lexus styling, Lexus now has made it very very obvious if someone copies the front end of their cars.

Quick Reply: Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata