Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-12, 07:17 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is bordering on the absurd. All this about tail light similarities, TAIL LIGHTS?
Old 06-06-12, 07:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm also not a fan of the new GS. I was planning on upgrading my 2IS to 4GS but after seeing it.. I was like geez it's like a Frankenstein mobile.. I actually prefer the looks of the new Avalon instead.

and at first glance i thought that pic looked like an acura TL

Originally Posted by Vladi
Only mistake Lexus did is not leaving those diagonal lines at the back. They really give the character to the back end design.
i agree the back on that concept looked WAY better.
Old 06-06-12, 08:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and at first glance i thought that pic looked like an acura TL

I saw the new Avalon at the NY show in that color and feel the front was way too overwhelming.The grill is huge.Ballsy move by Toyota..
Old 06-06-12, 04:18 PM
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I see Acura, Ford, and Toyota in the face of the new Avalon. This goes to show that design cues hop around the industry like Kim Kard...!
Old 06-06-12, 06:15 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ba-b4
I'm also not a fan of the new GS. I was planning on upgrading my 2IS to 4GS but after seeing it.. I was like geez it's like a Frankenstein mobile.. I actually prefer the looks of the new Avalon instead.

New Avalon looks like the Audi A7 Sportsback to me.
The A7 Sportsback is the more radical low roof line swoopy version of the A6 Sedan...

Old 06-06-12, 06:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greg0126
I like the 4GS. While I do see that the rear looks similar to the Sonata, it still has a much more aggressive appearance.
+1

seen a few F sports, very impressed...very aggressive...looks like a next gen, slightly larger IS to me.
Old 06-07-12, 07:59 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

besides the more expensive exhaust treatment, i actually think the sonata 'rear' looks BETTER, maybe because the top left/right of the back flow more elegantly and softly into the sides whereas the GS looks 'thin' and more boxy there.

and what a joke that people on fb are saying hyundai copied lexus when the sonata came out years before.

i think lexus completely blew it on the exterior of the 4GS. but maybe they took a page from the prior 5 series - like this, it was no looker, but the dynamics were good and it still sold well.

plus no v8, missing features (no trunk closer in u.s., no power folding mirrors), continued extremely limited option selection and even supply... just makes the whole buying experience irritating for those who want what they want!

dynamically though, and on the interior, it's the best GS so far. butta face...
The GS is selling damn well right now. I will agree that no V8 sucks but the actual sales numbers don't lie.
Old 06-07-12, 12:44 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Regardless of what the rear end treatment looks like, it's all about the whole package of the vehicle. The rear end of the New GS is polarizing. You either like it or you don't. Overall, New GS, or GS F Sport for that matter is a pretty great package all around. I will have to say between this generation and Gen 2, the Gen 4 has the most BMW-like appeal of any of the GS generations to date. I consider the E60 5 series to be the benchmark in this class. But the new F10 went backwards where Lexus went a step above it.

Gen 1- Italian styling, sleek looks, weak powertrain.

Gen 2- The bad boy GS. (GS 400) was once called the fastest automatic luxury sedan in the world. Substantial inside and out.

Gen 3- Sexy looks, disconnected feel, weak V8 powertrain choices. GS 300 3GR-FSE should have never been offered for 06.

Gen 4- Knock out interior, polarizing exterior. Needs a V8 or GS F model. V6 2GR-FSE needs a tad more hp.

Of course this is all subjective. Gen 4 GS has a lot of potential. The driving dynamic and feel is one of the largest leaps from all the GS. Slap in a V8 , tweak the rocker mouldings & rear fascia, add fog lamps to the front (GS F Sport) and this maybe as epic if not greater than Gen 2 was.
Old 06-07-12, 01:51 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

flipside909,

Great dead on summary^^^

The 300 hp 5-speeds GS400 was Epic when at the time the 540i and E430 only had like 275 hp and a 4-speeds. The GS400's 0-60 was 6.0 secs, it was on par or quicker then the AMG E55 at the time.
Old 06-07-12, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Regardless of what the rear end treatment looks like, it's all about the whole package of the vehicle. The rear end of the New GS is polarizing. You either like it or you don't. Overall, New GS, or GS F Sport for that matter is a pretty great package all around. I will have to say between this generation and Gen 2, the Gen 4 has the most BMW-like appeal of any of the GS generations to date. I consider the E60 5 series to be the benchmark in this class. But the new F10 went backwards where Lexus went a step above it.

Gen 2- The bad boy GS. (GS 400) was once called the fastest automatic luxury sedan in the world. Substantial inside and out.

Gen 3- Sexy looks, disconnected feel, weak V8 powertrain choices. GS 300 3GR-FSE should have never been offered for 06.

Gen 4- Knock out interior, polarizing exterior. Needs a V8 or GS F model. V6 2GR-FSE needs a tad more hp.

Of course this is all subjective. Gen 4 GS has a lot of potential. The driving dynamic and feel is one of the largest leaps from all the GS. Slap in a V8 , tweak the rocker mouldings & rear fascia, add fog lamps to the front (GS F Sport) and this maybe as epic if not greater than Gen 2 was.
you pretty much nailed it !!!!!
Old 06-07-12, 02:46 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
flipside909,

Great dead on summary^^^

The 300 hp 5-speeds GS400 was Epic when at the time the 540i and E430 only had like 275 hp and a 4-speeds. The GS400's 0-60 was 6.0 secs, it was on par or quicker then the AMG E55 at the time.
Just a little correction...
The W210 E55 had 350HP and did 0-60 in 4.8-5.0 secs. (Mercedes claims 5.5 every car mag and private owner at the track got 4.8-5.0 sec.)
Old 06-07-12, 04:34 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909

I agree completely but that also is my problem with Lexus. I've said it before so I'll keep it short. Outside of 1 to 2, Lexus did absolutely nothing to entice current GS owners to move in succession with the lineup. GS400 owners had no reason to move on to the 430 unless you wanted a wood steering wheel. Nothing inspiring about the 3GS at all and now this 6 cylinder saber toothed monstrosity ( ok that was a bit much, lol). To go from the fastest sedan in the world to not even offering a V-8 currently is embarrassing and a waste of 1998. We love to give them a pass because of what we hope is coming down the line but I just don't see where this faith is coming from. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that a GS-F is coming but if they aren't planning to hit a home run again, then admit it and step aside. We've needed a tad more hp for 11 years now.
Old 06-07-12, 06:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

^^^ amen.

lexus blew the big mo they had with the 2gs.
Old 06-07-12, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I agree completely but that also is my problem with Lexus. I've said it before so I'll keep it short. Outside of 1 to 2, Lexus did absolutely nothing to entice current GS owners to move in succession with the lineup. GS400 owners had no reason to move on to the 430 unless you wanted a wood steering wheel. Nothing inspiring about the 3GS at all and now this 6 cylinder saber toothed monstrosity ( ok that was a bit much, lol). To go from the fastest sedan in the world to not even offering a V-8 currently is embarrassing and a waste of 1998. We love to give them a pass because of what we hope is coming down the line but I just don't see where this faith is coming from. I'm still holding out a glimmer of hope that a GS-F is coming but if they aren't planning to hit a home run again, then admit it and step aside. We've needed a tad more hp for 11 years now.
Correction bud To YOU Lexus did nothing. Some of us moved from 2GS to 3GS and some 3GS have moved to 4GS. To ME the GS 450h was a logical move from my 2GS 400/430, its faster with better MPG. The 4GS 450h getting 31 MPG average and slightly slower is attractive to me. If I want a badass Lexus the IS F is around until the GS F.

1998 will never happen again, people need to stop bringing this historical point up. Its like saying "lets be first to go to the moon again" or "why can't we build the Pyramids again". We live in a world Porsche Turbos and GT-Rs costing 120k are doing 0-60 in under 3 seconds faster than exotics. You want a V-8 Lexus thats fast, buy an IS F like some GS owners have done. I think Mr. Johnson said what a lot of us were thinking "the IS F is kind of the spiritual successor to the GS 400". I do want to say some members have stated they bought a 4GS from a 2GS as well. So while the 4GS could use a high power

GS F is coming. Let's see who gets one or just complains about it.

^^^ amen.

lexus blew the big mo they had with the 2gs.

Except the 3GS sold better than the 2GS some years. I think some of you vocal people simply have no interest in a new Lexus and don't drive a Lexus which is fine. However blanket statements about the brand are just those when CLEARLY plenty of us have bought the 3GS and 4GS. If its not for you, fine.

Last edited by LexFather; 06-07-12 at 06:59 PM.

Old 06-07-12, 09:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Except the 3GS sold better than the 2GS some years. I think some of you vocal people simply have no interest in a new Lexus and don't drive a Lexus which is fine. However blanket statements about the brand are just those when CLEARLY plenty of us have bought the 3GS and 4GS. If its not for you, fine.

what i am curious is, can someone provide annual sales numbers on the gs, 5, and e from 1998 all the way till last year. then we can really say something about 2gs and 3gs.

i am sure people buy the cars. but that's where it ends.

Quick Reply: Too close for comfort? 4th Gen GS & Hyundai Sonata