Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-16, 09:00 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Here in Vegas, Ford is the vehicle of choice for the LVMPD. There's still Crown Vics everywhere. At least 50-60% of the patrol cars here seem to be CV's. The rest are mainly Explorers with some Tauruses mixed in.

Nevada Highway Patrol seems to favor the Tahoe.

Back in my small home town in Utah, both the municipal police department and the county sheriff use RAM's. The sheriffs used F-150s prior to about 2010. The police used chargers up until a few years ago when they also adopted the RAM. They also picked up a couple Camaros(one for the chief), which the dealership threw in at a discount for picking up their business.
Old 07-07-16, 11:15 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
The Explorers are the most uncomfortable vehicle on earth. The seats are horrible as is the adjustments once a cage is put in. After only 2 hrs my legs and lower back are killing me.
surprising to me as my last gen explorer (06) had THE most comfortable seats in any car i've owned. i could drive 6 hours or whatever and have no aches/pains at all and i couldn't say that about other vehicles i've had. my current ride (grand cherokee) is very comfortable too, but the seats are more 'snug'/sporty.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yeah.....most of the cops I've talked to in the last several years say dropping the Crown Vic was a mistake. They were addicted to that car.
are the cops you've talked to retired?

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Here in Vegas, Ford is the vehicle of choice for the LVMPD. There's still Crown Vics everywhere. At least 50-60% of the patrol cars here seem to be CV's. The rest are mainly Explorers with some Tauruses mixed in.
we have several types locally... explorers, crown vics, tauruses, dodge chargers...
Old 07-07-16, 11:37 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
surprising to me as my last gen explorer (06) had THE most comfortable seats in any car i've owned. i could drive 6 hours or whatever and have no aches/pains at all and i couldn't say that about other vehicles i've had. my current ride (grand cherokee) is very comfortable too, but the seats are more 'snug'/sporty.
You had a Limited with leather right?

My '03 XLT with cloth seats were firm but supportive, and never caused me much fatigue on road trips between California and Oregon.
Old 07-07-16, 12:07 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's hard to imagine a large, loaded down SUV sailing down the highway at 90 mph enroute to a call. Even with all of today's modern saftey nannies, I don't think this is a good idea. If bumped a certain way, these things still leave the ground fast. .
The O.P.P. in Ontario have Chevy Tahoe SUVs for highway patrol. Safe policing is all about following their training. I am not convinced that these new SUVs will be an issue.
Old 07-07-16, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You had a Limited with leather right?
yes. i think all limited's had leather. sometimes i wish i hadn't sold it given how little i got for trade-in... selling a car always makes me feel guilty even though it's irrational. i feel like i'm betraying a faithful companion!
Old 07-07-16, 02:21 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The use of Explorers and Taurus by law enforcement has very good for Ford's Chicago Assembly plant.
Old 07-07-16, 02:54 PM
Hoovey689

yes. i think all limited's had leather. sometimes i wish i hadn't sold it given how little i got for trade-in... selling a car always makes me feel guilty even though it's irrational. i feel like i'm betraying a faithful companion!
+1 its kinda heartbreaking
Old 07-07-16, 03:01 PM
yllwneck86
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I took this pic after watching the Crown Vic drive like an a hole.
Old 07-07-16, 03:11 PM
Hoovey689

^^ I recognize that sign!! hah
Old 07-07-16, 03:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

are the cops you've talked to retired?
Nope.....just p***ed off about losing their Crown Vics.

we have several types locally... explorers, crown vics, tauruses, dodge chargers...
Same here. One local PD in this area even has a Camaro SS to help them run down speeders, although the Hemi-Equipped police-spec Chargers are also useful in that regard. But the Crown Vic still is the universally-loved fuzz-mobile for its size, room for prisoners and big German Shepards in back, trunk capacity for all the hardware that police officers have to lug around, and, of course, the tough body-on-frame construction that takes a lot of punishment on bad roads.
Old 07-07-16, 03:26 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Are the Ford (Explorer, Taurus) interceptors front wheel or all wheel drive?
Old 07-07-16, 04:52 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyG
Interestingly enough. The Taurus has a hefty payload and with the 3.5 Eco-Boost that might seem a better deal with packaging efficiency. The Explorer is a cross-platform to the Taurus is it not IRC?
Yes, both are built on the same not-very-space-efficient Volvo platform.

Originally Posted by rominl
for those in CA we better watch out. they are going to conceal the lights inside the car in the near future
Originally Posted by mmarshall
The type, color, placement, and intensity of police-spec lights, though, is usually strictly controlled by law. That's to try and keep potential criminals from impersonating the police. There have been numerous cases of so-called "cops" doing traffic stops, particularly in rural or lonely places......only to rob, assault, carjack, or even rape their victims.
I am assuming that what rominl is talking about is Ford taking the light bar off the roof and hiding it at the top of the windshield. This was an aftermarket option before but now Ford will make it available from the factory.

Bad news, speed freaks – Ford is adding a new feature to the Police Interceptor Utility (you know, the Explorer) that will make them far more difficult to pick out on the road. Crap.

You know that annoyingly hard to spot low-profile light bar that seems to be the norm on cop cars today? Ford is calling the Explorer's new system the "no profile" light bar, replacing the roof-mounted unit that has for as long as we can remember been a police car's most distinctive feature with a pair of thin light strips between the headliner and the top of the windshield.

According to Ford, this is not a new feature on police cars – there are departments out there that have installed similar systems on their squad cars – but the Blue Oval claims its system isn't as bulky. Departments that order the system will also get a windshield that hasn't been tinted at the top, meaning this setup should be brighter than aftermarket alternatives.

We'd love to tell you to look for the new "no profile" light bar on the 2017 Ford Police Interceptor Utility, but you probably won't be able to spot it until it's already lit up your rear-view mirror. Good luck out there.
Source: Autoblog
Old 07-07-16, 05:18 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu

I am assuming that what rominl is talking about is Ford taking the light bar off the roof and hiding it at the top of the windshield. This was an aftermarket option before but now Ford will make it available from the factory.
OK, in that sense, perhaps so.
Old 07-07-16, 07:00 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd assume its got a lot to do with the cage limiting the amount of backward movement leaving you almost bending forward. Several others have expressed the same issue.
Old 07-07-16, 08:34 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know that with car people there is always going to be a comparison test. Gotta love the ole P71 4.6. Nothing sounds quite like that engine. Here's a comparison, old vs new.

I wouldn't write of the old Crown Vic so quickly. It's just not being made anymore.

Quick Reply: California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car