Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 04:17 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Ap1_Alan
MPGs are better on the explorer interceptor than the old crown vics.

I wouldnt doubt if they handled better too

"Ford says the Explorer is at least 20 percent more fuel efficient than the outgoing Crown Victoria PI, which used a thirsty 4.6-liter V-8. "
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/for...ceptor-utility
yeah but big sedan with v6 would also do better than both.
Old 05-30-12, 04:31 PM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
yeah but big sedan with v6 would also do better than both.
Too bad that car doesnt exist

The current PI sedans couldn't handle the 1700lb payload requirement.
Old 03-24-14, 01:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ford Explorer is America's new favorite police car

here is a new vehicle that you should keep an eye out for when you're going a little too fast down the Interstate. Ford's Explorer-based Police Interceptor Utility was the bestselling new law enforcement model in the country last year, and signs show that won't be changing anytime soon.

Ford sold 14,086 Interceptor Utilities in 2013, up 140% from the year before, and 10,897 Interceptor Sedans, up 31%, according to USA Today. Overall, the brand's police sales were up 48 percent, and they were enough to boost the company's law enforcement vehicle market share by 9 points to nearly 50 percent.

The success comes just a few years after it made the decision to finally retire the long-serving Crown Victoria-based cruiser for two more modern vehicles. "We had to reinvent the category," said Chris Terry of Ford Communications to Autoblog. The automaker had to convince police departments that a unibody chassis without a V8 could perform better than a model that had been a law enforcement staple for years.

The keys to the transition have been the Utility's space, performance and standard all-wheel drive. The truck's extra storage space has been welcomed by officers who are being asked to be first responders in many situations, and the EcoBoost version has been the fastest in its class the last three years of testing by the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department. Plus, even in places that don't experience much inclement weather, the added traction from AWD is an advantage.

According to Terry, when Ford introduced the new emergency vehicles, it expected sales to be split roughly 50-50 between the Explorer and Taurus. But at times it "has run as high 70 percent Utility." The company appears to have read the market well. As more law enforcement agencies drop their aging Crown Vics, the Blue Oval has replacements at the ready.
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/24/f...te-police-car/
Old 03-24-14, 06:35 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. In the past, modern police vehicles were often associated with dated, poor-selling sedans that the public wasn't buying. Certainly the Explorer has to be better, despite it's poor reliability ratings.
Old 03-24-14, 06:44 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think people really think that anymore with police Chargers and Tahoes all over the place in addition to the Explorer.
Old 03-24-14, 06:47 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. In the past, modern police vehicles were often associated with dated, poor-selling sedans that the public wasn't buying. Certainly the Explorer has to be better, despite it's poor reliability ratings.
Much more compelling vehicles for sure. My biggest gripe is trying to learn the new headlights
Old 03-25-14, 10:30 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Much more compelling vehicles for sure. My biggest gripe is trying to learn the new headlights
TOTALLY! With my last few nighttime highway trips, I've reminded myself to look for a distinct orange running light inside the main headlight. I think that's the pattern on the CHP's Explorers. Crown Vics were easy to spot over time.
Old 03-25-14, 11:00 AM
jsanders
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow cops must be rich these days

let's see, police drive 40k+ loaded SUVs

low income folks get luxury low income housing to live in for free, EBT cards get used like credit cards

and oh yeah, taxes keep goin' up

where is this country headed...
Old 03-25-14, 11:07 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

I have seen a ton of these here in Vegas. Lots of Crown Victorias as well. Haven't noticed any Tauruses though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-25-14, 11:30 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

CPD tried to replace the crown vic's with Tahoe's for some reason they bought the RWD versions. These have been nothing but miserable in the snow and ice, nothing like seeing a cop go at you sideways haha. Seems like they are replacing the remaining crown vic's with the explorers and these are equipped with AWD.
Old 03-25-14, 02:49 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I agree. The Crown Vics are very easy to spot. At least they did us a solid by putting blue running lights on the back of most, if not all, po-lice motorcycles.
Old 03-25-14, 03:20 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
TOTALLY! With my last few nighttime highway trips, I've reminded myself to look for a distinct orange running light inside the main headlight. I think that's the pattern on the CHP's Explorers. Crown Vics were easy to spot over time.
Originally Posted by link13
Yeah, I agree. The Crown Vics are very easy to spot. At least they did us a solid by putting blue running lights on the back of most, if not all, po-lice motorcycles.
Gonna miss those easy to spot Crown Vics. I still see a lot of them for CHP in the Bay Area, but towns and cities I'm seeing the Taurus, Explorer, Caprice and Impala. Don't really see the Chargers ever. So with these newer cars gotta look for those extra light bars, bull bars, mirror spot lights, and CA EXEMPT plates. This past summer up in Oregon I found they had a bunch of unmarked Tahoes that blended in like other out of towners on vacation.
Old 03-25-14, 03:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Gonna miss those easy to spot Crown Vics. I still see a lot of them for CHP in the Bay Area, but towns and cities I'm seeing the Taurus, Explorer, Caprice and Impala. Don't really see the Chargers ever. So with these newer cars gotta look for those extra light bars, bull bars, mirror spot lights, and CA EXEMPT plates. This past summer up in Oregon I found they had a bunch of unmarked Tahoes that blended in like other out of towners on vacation.
Chargers seem to be going away. The police force in my hometown ditched theirs last year for a combination of RAM trucks and 2 unmarked Camaros(function before form, right?)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using IB AutoGroup
Old 03-25-14, 11:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Heard the Chargers don't hold up, weak suspension design. Which makes sense, because its pretty common for ball joints and other parts to be trashed on civilian cars well before 100k.
Old 03-25-14, 11:33 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Consumer vehicles are getting more powerful, while enforcement vehicles are becoming more...utilitarian. Seems like less and less incentive to stop every day. Plus you could just claim to be a lost tourist if the heat piled on

Quick Reply: California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car