Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-16, 10:50 PM
ABC
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

how has reliability been with this gen ford explorer? Love the looks, but always a little worried about ford reliability.
Old 07-09-16, 05:42 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Are the Ford (Explorer, Taurus) interceptors front wheel or all wheel drive?
I don't know what they offer now, but the originals could be had with the NA V-6 and front wheel drive but the "real" cars had 3.5 Eco Boost engines with AWD. Lots of interior mods to provide room for computers and other special equipment. The Eco Boost cars are actually pretty quick and lots faster than the 4.6 liter Crown Vics. The also handle better.
Old 07-09-16, 09:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The video says and shows it all. The old Vic handled like a boat, which is a danger to law officers. Nearly all new replacement vehicles handle far better, especially the Taurus, as seen in the video.
I spend a fair amount of time with my local police station doing volunteer work, and of course I always try to squeeze in car questions. Here's what they (the LAPD) is saying about the new crop. They love the new Explorer. It has a ton of space and is easier to get in and out of in a hurry. The power and handling is also much better than the Vic. They hate the Chargers. Very cramped and tight in the cockpit. They say they can't understand how it even passed basic testing for the department.
Overall, it is clear the Crown Vic was dated and doing the department no favors other than a big trunk. But what officers on the beat really wanted was better handling and decent comfort. The new Explorer seems to be what they are all liking thus far.
As to Explorer reliability, it's so-so (like most current Fords). Just recently, it's under investigation for the odor of fuel while in use.
Lastly, all LAPD and CHP Explorers are AWD.
Old 07-09-16, 11:01 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine is awd, n/a, 3,5l v-6. have LED headlights, which is a plus.