Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-16, 02:59 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my 2016 Explorer a few weeks ago. rides and handles great and has plenty of power. Has A/C vents for the rear passengers, lol.
Attached Thumbnails California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car-13445598_1429771050382509_973164803842631639_n.jpg  

Last edited by sapd911; 07-06-16 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 03:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

^ EcoBoost 3.5 or NA 3.5?

Originally Posted by sapd911
Got my 2016 Explorer a few weeks ago. rides and handles great and has plenty of power. Has A/C vents for the rear prisoners, lol.
fixed for you
Old 07-06-16, 03:06 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
^ EcoBoost 3.5 or NA 3.5?

fixed for you
non turbo. And yes, for the rear offenders. I think that is politically correct these days! lol. They said we cant say criminals anymore!
Old 07-06-16, 03:10 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sapd911
non turbo. And yes, for the rear offenders. I think that is politically correct these days! lol
Are they tuned for Regular 87 and/or ethanol flexible? Just curious
Old 07-06-16, 04:26 PM
sapd911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Are they tuned for Regular 87 and/or ethanol flexible? Just curious
not sure ill check
Old 07-06-16, 06:25 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Michigan State Police do regular tests of all police vehicles and even motor bikes. And surprisingly they're happy to share their results. In fact their test team and writers almost gush with praise on some vehicles just like the car magazines do.

Here's a link to their 2015 test of police vehicles and the Ford Explorer, Chevy Tahoe, Dodge Charger among others are all there. It's a huge pdf document but worth reading if you have the time.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...d_479059_7.pdf

To me a police vehicle doesn't need to be ridiculously fast or a corner carver to accomplish its job, it just needs to be safe and able to handle a variety of jobs. 90 percent of police driving is trundling along or doing slow or moderate speed patrolling. No need for a torque monster do some sort of high speed bit. For pursuit you have helicopters and soon enough, drones.
Old 07-06-16, 07:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The municipal forces here seem to favour the Charger and the old Impala. It is the old "black-and-white" OPP (acting as the Highway Patrol in this area) that seems to favour the new Fords, mainly the Taurus; I cannot recall seeing many Explorers. The last time I saw a PI Explorer may have been the OPP's display at the Toronto Autoshow.

Our police forces are probably not as rich as some down south.
Old 07-06-16, 08:31 PM
MattyG
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sulu
The municipal forces here seem to favour the Charger and the old Impala. It is the old "black-and-white" OPP (acting as the Highway Patrol in this area) that seems to favour the new Fords, mainly the Taurus; I cannot recall seeing many Explorers. The last time I saw a PI Explorer may have been the OPP's display at the Toronto Autoshow.

Our police forces are probably not as rich as some down south.
Yeah in southern AB I've seen the local police try the Hemi Chargers but I don't think it went well and haven't seen them since. Now they're into the Dodge Rams and Ford F150's, mostly as unmarked because the redneck crowd here drives those. You just blend in.

The majority now are Taurus. Very few Crown Vics. In Calgary it's also pickups in plain vanilla flavors and then Taurus.

Always amusing to see the differences between north and south, east and west. The RCMP use Tahoes now, but that's about highway cruising.

Interestingly enough. The Taurus has a hefty payload and with the 3.5 Eco-Boost that might seem a better deal with packaging efficiency. The Explorer is a cross-platform to the Taurus is it not IRC?
Old 07-06-16, 08:49 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The current Explorer is quickly becoming SoCal's law enforcement vehicle of choice. They are all over the place and it is already a memorized car to watch out for. I do still see some brand new civilian ones, but not too too often. A great looking SUV, which would be high on my list of ones to look at.
What I'm most curious and anxious about is seeing what these will look like in six years when all the law enforcement agencies start selling their well worn units. Will it be like seeing all these Crown Victoria's with painted out doors that we see today? Hard to imagine on an Explorer. They just look too nice and too expensive to be an ex-anything.
Old 07-06-16, 08:52 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Metro Nashville police all use Impalas, have for years. I did see a new Taurus cruiser the other day, which makes sense because I think Chevy quit selling the FWD Impala cruiser. Metro also uses Chevy Astro vans, I think for crime scene investigation. Buddy got a ticket from a cop in an Astro van the other week, he totally could've out ran him lol.

Belle Meade police used diesel powered Passats. I think they're going to have VW buy them back and get something else, but they said the cost difference in fuel paid for the upgrade from old Chargers in less than a year. Small department though, they might have had 7 to 10 cars total.

Highway patrol used to use Crown Vics exclusively. I've seen them use the Caprice, and now the Explorer as well. Other local municipalities liked the Charger for a good while, but I'm starting to see more marked Explorers.
Old 07-06-16, 09:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

for those in CA we better watch out. they are going to conceal the lights inside the car in the near future
Old 07-06-16, 10:54 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing is they are distinctive enough to be easily spotted in the rear view mirror, it's this guy that you have to worry about...they can just hide behind a small bush and bam you get a speeding ticket.

Old 07-07-16, 06:56 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

The Explorers are the most uncomfortable vehicle on earth. The seats are horrible as is the adjustments once a cage is put in. After only 2 hrs my legs and lower back are killing me. The Crown Vics were a MUCH better vehicle.

Also, we've totaled about 6 Explorers in accidents that Crown Vics would have laughed at. Unfortunately we are stuck with them for now. If I had to drive one on a daily basis I think I'd be suicidal.
Old 07-07-16, 07:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
for those in CA we better watch out. they are going to conceal the lights inside the car in the near future
The type, color, placement, and intensity of police-spec lights, though, is usually strictly controlled by law. That's to try and keep potential criminals from impersonating the police. There have been numerous cases of so-called "cops" doing traffic stops, particularly in rural or lonely places......only to rob, assault, carjack, or even rape their victims.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-07-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-07-16, 07:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
The Explorers are the most uncomfortable vehicle on earth. The seats are horrible as is the adjustments once a cage is put in. After only 2 hrs my legs and lower back are killing me. The Crown Vics were a MUCH better vehicle.

Also, we've totaled about 6 Explorers in accidents that Crown Vics would have laughed at. Unfortunately we are stuck with them for now. If I had to drive one on a daily basis I think I'd be suicidal.
Yeah.....most of the cops I've talked to in the last several years say dropping the Crown Vic was a mistake. They were addicted to that car.

Quick Reply: California chooses Ford Explorer Police Interceptor as next patrol car