Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

3rd row vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-12, 12:57 PM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd row vehicle

So I’m in the market for a 3row vehicle. I really like the Mercedes GL, but the price is a bit too high. If I can find a good price around 35k-40k with low mileage then it’s a go.
Next choice would either be a Sequoia, Pilot, or a Sienna/Odyssey. I’m also starting to check out some Yukon or Tahoe. I really like the DENALI’s or The XL.
For all you guys that have any of the vehicle written down can you chime in and let me know the space/maintenance/and any perks/cons you have.

Old 05-29-12, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have done my share of research on some of the cars. the gl is very nice, 3rd row you can actually sit someone nicely. reliability is so so from what i gather especially without warranty. price is good though, depreciate fast for a reason. i think if you look for a used 3 yr lease return with avg mileage you should be able to see 40. plus the new gl is coming out very soon and the current one will take another bath.

the sequoia is ok, big car with space but too much like the tundra now, and interior looks a bit cheap. the pilot is a good option, very spacious inside and price is good. but you have to ask yourself since not much luxury in that car. i won't say much on minivan since they are too different
Old 05-29-12, 02:44 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

The Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator are excellent choices for a full-size SUV, and the Acura MDX is also very nice.
Old 05-29-12, 03:13 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GL is awesome, also 2009 GX would fit into the budget
Old 05-29-12, 03:18 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

How important is 3rd row seating with rear cargo space when the 3rd row is down???

this will help you narrow the list down pretty easily
Old 05-29-12, 04:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
it will need to be on the higher mileage side i think. gx keeps value pretty well
Old 05-29-12, 04:10 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

I have seen 30-40k miles on a 2009 for 40k or less.....

Here is a CPO 2009

GX 470

$41,995

Black Onyx

Originally Posted by rominl
it will need to be on the higher mileage side i think. gx keeps value pretty well
Old 05-29-12, 04:45 PM
msubee
Rookie

Have you look in Mazda CX-9? I own one, and hands down it is the best 3rd row crossover that you could get new around 35-40k. In my opinion, it is one of the most fun to drive 3rd crossover beside BMW X5 or Audi Q7.

However, the downside for Mazda are fuel economy sucks, and interior quality & design aren't in the same level with Lexus, even compared with my IS 350.
Old 05-29-12, 05:28 PM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Wife looked at the CX-9 and it had a lot of room but the interior was very dated \ design was just blah to her.

They can also be had on some sick deals used, 2010 low miles way under $30k.
Old 05-29-12, 06:14 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

New Durango is roomy...and VERY nice inside.

But honestly, i would look for a Land cruiser or LX, or even a GX.
Old 05-29-12, 08:46 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a new sienna SE, very praticle, good value, good looking, and has tons of space.
Old 05-29-12, 09:38 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Was gonna buy the gx470 and bought an Infiniti QX56 instead. 3rd row is full size so i dont feel bad putting anyone back there. Automatic lift gate and folding mirrors. Back up cam nav dvd 1st and 2nd rows both have heathed seats. Very big vehicle but if ur looking for a 3rd row vehicle u might as well get 3rd row space with it.

Would buy the same one twice no regrets got it through carmax and would do that again as well. The commercials dont do carmax any justice. Above going beyond.

Last edited by MikeFoxx; 05-29-12 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-30-12, 06:32 AM
flyfl1pguy

i have done my share of research on some of the cars. the gl is very nice, 3rd row you can actually sit someone nicely. reliability is so so from what i gather especially without warranty. price is good though, depreciate fast for a reason. i think if you look for a used 3 yr lease return with avg mileage you should be able to see 40. plus the new gl is coming out very soon and the current one will take another bath.

the sequoia is ok, big car with space but too much like the tundra now, and interior looks a bit cheap. the pilot is a good option, very spacious inside and price is good. but you have to ask yourself since not much luxury in that car. i won't say much on minivan since they are too different
GL is my first choice right now. I really like how it looks and from what I’ve searched on the web seems like only problem I’ve seen the most are the air suspension.
I also have a friend who is a tech. and he tells me if I’m getting a Mercedes to make sure I get extended warranty as it can pay for itself if anything goes wrong.
Sequoia on the other hand is my second choice. I really like the new style. Haven’t had a chance to see the interior yet. The Pilot is also a good deal I would say. It seems like the price is pretty low from what I’ve seen.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator are excellent choices for a full-size SUV, and the Acura MDX is also very nice.
How much are those? Are the MDX 3rd row spacious?

I’ll look into the GX.

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
How important is 3rd row seating with rear cargo space when the 3rd row is down???

this will help you narrow the list down pretty easily
Space is much needed in the 3rd row, but cargo space is so so.

I’ll look into the GX.

I have seen 30-40k miles on a 2009 for 40k or less.....

Here is a CPO 2009

GX 470

$41,995

Black Onyx
$40k for 36k miles is a bit high would you say?

Originally Posted by IS350BABY
Have you look in Mazda CX-9? I own one, and hands down it is the best 3rd row crossover that you could get new around 35-40k. In my opinion, it is one of the most fun to drive 3rd crossover beside BMW X5 or Audi Q7.

However, the downside for Mazda are fuel economy sucks, and interior quality & design aren't in the same level with Lexus, even compared with my IS 350.
A friend of mine told me to look into CX-9. I have a miata as my daily and I love it! I’m just wondering how is the space on the 3rd row like?
What year do you have and mileage as of now? Any issues on the CX-9?

Wife looked at the CX-9 and it had a lot of room but the interior was very dated \ design was just blah to her.

They can also be had on some sick deals used, 2010 low miles way under $30k.
Ill see if the wife will consider CX-9.

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
New Durango is roomy...and VERY nice inside.

But honestly, i would look for a Land cruiser or LX, or even a GX.
Haven’t checked out the Durango yet.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Get a new sienna SE, very praticle, good value, good looking, and has tons of space.
SE’s are also nice. I’ve seen the XLE and it is very nice! Do you have a SE?

Originally Posted by MikeFoxx
Was gonna buy the gx470 and bought an Infiniti QX56 instead. 3rd row is full size so i dont feel bad putting anyone back there. Automatic lift gate and folding mirrors. Back up cam nav dvd 1st and 2nd rows both have heathed seats. Very big vehicle but if ur looking for a 3rd row vehicle u might as well get 3rd row space with it.

Would buy the same one twice no regrets got it through carmax and would do that again as well. The commercials dont do carmax any justice. Above going beyond.
A friend also recommended QX56, but again still haven’t searched it. What year and mileage did you get? How much was you vehicle OTD price?
From the time you got it till now, any issues?
Old 05-30-12, 06:45 AM
LexFather

I cannot recommned the QX56 is was maybe one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven, horrible beyond measure. I can't believe the asking price was 50-60k, just get a Armada

You cannot beat the TRUE utility of a Van, it swallows up people and cargo. For "image" of course a SUV is "cooler"

Honestly if the 3rd row is a huge priority, look only at Vans and larger SUVs like the Tahoe XL, Suburban, Sequoia etc, true full size SUVs.

Old 05-30-12, 06:49 AM
flyfl1pguy

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I cannot recommned the QX56 is was maybe one of the worst vehicles I've ever driven, horrible beyond measure. I can't believe the asking price was 50-60k, just get a Armada

You cannot beat the TRUE utility of a Van, it swallows up people and cargo. For "image" of course a SUV is "cooler"

Honestly if the 3rd row is a huge priority, look only at Vans and larger SUVs like the Tahoe XL, Suburban, Sequoia etc, true full size SUVs.

Yeah from what I know, the QX is just an overpriced Armada, but i cant say for myself that this is a bad vehicle.
SUV’s you mentioned is also in my radar. I really love the Sequoia, but the price is a little bit too high for my budget. If I’m going to pay something that high I would rather get the GL.

Quick Reply: 3rd row vehicle