Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

5th-gen LS spied on the road

Old 05-25-12, 11:17 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Looks like a car heavily disguised..I'll wait before speculate
Old 05-25-12, 03:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

looks like the new LS to me.
Old 05-27-12, 09:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by venom21
Under all that camo it looks just like an Avalon, Camry etc... I'll wait for a clearer picture.
Amazing first post. Somehow under all that camo you immediately draw the same lame Camry etc comparisons. Do us a favor and go in the Altima thread and do the same thing with Infinit. K thanx bye bye

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^Yes, because Lexus isn't dropping a 5.0L V8 into the entire lineup, they are "behind a lesser brand"

is right
Then if you mention the LFA you get a million reasons why "it doesn't count" . I think we know the GS is using carryover powertrains and for the gotdamn 50 BILLIONTH time outside of the Audi, the GS accleration and MPG is among best in class We all agree a V-8 or bump would be great but its not like the GS is slouch or worse performing in regards to acceleration.

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will give a lot of credit to Lexus for making the driving dynamic of the 4th Gen GS wayyyyyy better than 3rd Gen, but I agree it still needs a bump in HP. Even a 10-15 hp bump would make a significant difference. 4th Gen GS has a lot of potential, but Lexus played it safe. I can see why they're doing it from a long term lifecycle standpoint, but I don't think that's good enough to stay ahead of the competition. It should be a 100% effort, not 75%.

This next LS has some potential to make noise even if it's not a a full 100% changeover. The right amount of HP can make a huge difference. As far as driving and handling dymamic, there is no doubt in my mind it will be much better. Look at 2nd Gen IS starting 2011 MY and on (specifically F Sport and IS F)...the changes are minute on paper but the changes are pretty significant in person.
Agreed.

Old 05-27-12, 01:34 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will give a lot of credit to Lexus for making the driving dynamic of the 4th Gen GS wayyyyyy better than 3rd Gen, but I agree it still needs a bump in HP. Even a 10-15 hp bump would make a significant difference. 4th Gen GS has a lot of potential, but Lexus played it safe. I can see why they're doing it from a long term lifecycle standpoint, but I don't think that's good enough to stay ahead of the competition. It should be a 100% effort, not 75%.

This next LS has some potential to make noise even if it's not a a full 100% changeover. The right amount of HP can make a huge difference. As far as driving and handling dymamic, there is no doubt in my mind it will be much better. Look at 2nd Gen IS starting 2011 MY and on (specifically F Sport and IS F)...the changes are minute on paper but the changes are pretty significant in person.
I just want that GS300h with 230-250hp and 35 MPG combined in F-Sport trim
Old 06-01-12, 01:32 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus LS(5th Gen) Spy Pics

I don't think anyone has posted these, but Automobile Magazine scooped these images. Something tells this is being timed to debut alongside the W222 S-Class, which should be unveiled by the end of this month. The LS might be shown as well by either July or August.

Lexus is working on an aggressive new-product roll-out right now. It already unveiled all-new generations of the GS and ES sedans and revised versions of the LX and RX SUVs. Next up? The LS flagship sedan, and our spy shooter caught a camo-wrapped one out testing.

Despite the heavy camouflage, we have a reasonably clear look at the shape and front fascia of the next LS. Lexus’ new spindle grille is quite prominent, and seems to dominate the LS’ front fascia. The grille is flanked on either side by what look to be LED headlights, not dissimilar to those available on the current LS 600hL. The headlights are pushed out to the edges of the car and look to have the brand’s trademark L-shaped LED running lights below them. In fact, the front visage looks suspiciously close to a shady teaser shown by Lexus in a video describing its new spindle grille. If that image is, in fact, the new LS, we can expect to see a larger upper grille, a chrome outline to the spindle, and cheese-grater-esque metal detailing in the headlights.

The rest of the next Lexus LS looks to be taking a more evolutionary tack – from what we can see, both the profile and rear look to be slimmed-down versions of the current car’s design, though without losing any of the 2012 model’s mass. Don’t be surprised to see taillights and a greenhouse similar to those on the 2013 GS and ES sedans. The interior will probably be cleaned up as well, and to use the same oversized infotainment screen and mouse-like controller as the GS, ES, and RX.

According to our spy shooter, the new LS will ride on an overhauled version of the current car’s platform and maintain its V-8 powerplants. Currently, the LS uses a 4.6-liter V-8 rated at 380 hp and 367 lb-ft of torque mated to an eight-speed automatic. Expect to see the V-8 carry over, but a new hybrid model will eschew the LS 600hL’s attempt at V-12-like performance for a focus on efficiency and drumming up more sales than the current $113,635 car. (Base price listed includes destination.)

Expect to see the new LS revealed some time within the next six to 12 months and for it to go on sale for the 2014 model year. Until then, check out the spy shots below.

Read more: http://rumors.automobilemag.com/spie...#ixzz1wZlR7omC

Last edited by Carmaker1; 06-01-12 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 02:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! At this point it looks more like facelift than a redesign to me. The wheel design does look more interesting than I initially thought now that we have more angles of it.
Old 06-01-12, 03:04 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ydooby
Thanks! At this point it looks more like facelift than a redesign to me. The wheel design does look more interesting than I initially thought now that we have more angles of it.
Your welcome! It feels a bit underwhelming though, as the taillights slightly remind me of the 4ES, the 2011 Avalon, and the current Hyundai Elantra combined. I am really hoping that when Akio Toyoda approved this design in 2010, he did not rest on his laurels and leave it significantly unchanged. This reminds somewhat of the UCF20 in late 1994 being evolutionary to the original from early 1989. I'm guessing someone at Lexus feels the current shape has nothing wrong it, so only building on it seems necessary. Hopefully we will see leaked pics by late this month like the 4GS(in August 2011) and the 6ES in February.
Old 06-01-12, 03:41 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmk1
Your welcome! It feels a bit underwhelming though, as the taillights slightly remind me of the 4ES, the 2011 Avalon, and the current Hyundai Elantra combined. I am really hoping that when Akio Toyoda approved this design in 2010, he did not rest on his laurels and leave it significantly unchanged. This reminds somewhat of the UCF20 in late 1994 being evolutionary to the original from early 1989. I'm guessing someone at Lexus feels the current shape has nothing wrong it, so only building on it seems necessary. Hopefully we will see leaked pics by late this month like the 4GS(in August 2011) and the 6ES in February.
Indeed. They need to do something more extraordinary than just giving it a new face. Even the A8 is outselling the LS now.
Old 06-01-12, 03:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ydooby
Which is what I said from day one before anyone but hey, if newbs want to listen to newbs, be my guest.

BTW those wheels look like the current LS Sport models but painted differently.

Now before people raise the pitchforks lets remember Audi did the same thing with their new snout. The A8 got it added on before the full redesign as the A4 and most of their vehicles. So what Lexus is doing isn't unusual.

Well as stated before the reason is to spread out the vehicle debuts. No more ES/GS/IS/LS debuting in the same year where sales are great then they all taper off together. Now we have GS/ES then IS and then LS. I also agree the current LS looks great and has aged well.

To me the big snout worked well added on the big A8 than the smaller models. I think its going to look great on the big LS and look very aggressive!

Last edited by LexFather; 06-01-12 at 03:57 PM.

Old 06-01-12, 04:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

isnt this supposed to be an facelift?
Old 06-01-12, 04:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
isnt this supposed to be an facelift?
you missed the previous posts?
Old 06-01-12, 04:56 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

The wheels with the dark spokes have an interesting look to them. I wonder if that is for the hybrid model since it has LED headlights.
Old 06-01-12, 05:11 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which is what I said from day one before anyone but hey, if newbs want to listen to newbs, be my guest.
What does that really have to do with anything? I only registered here two months ago to provide the teaser images, so I have no idea how I'm "new" really affects or detracts from longtime knowledge that I've had of Lexus products. Am I not to be trusted? I do not work for Lexus, so like everyone else I am not going to know whether they are extensively facelifting or redesigning it with evolutionary styling, from information based on a heavily disguised and until recently, a very secretly kept vehicle. A lot of people have already stated that the idea of them facelifting it twice is unlikely and is only going help competitors like Mercedes-Benz. Lexus NEVER tests facelifts this extensively, they simply unveil them when the time comes. Only their next generation models see this type of testing. My verdict has always been that it is evolutionary, as is the upcoming IS(XE30).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 06-01-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-01-12, 10:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

What does that really have to do with anything? I only registered here two months ago to provide the teaser images, so I have no idea how I'm "new" really affects or detracts from longtime knowledge that I've had of Lexus products. Am I not to be trusted? I do not work for Lexus, so like everyone else I am not going to know whether they are extensively facelifting or redesigning it with evolutionary styling, from information based on a heavily disguised and until recently, a very secretly kept vehicle. A lot of people have already stated that the idea of them facelifting it twice is unlikely and is only going help competitors like Mercedes-Benz. Lexus NEVER tests facelifts this extensively, they simply unveil them when the time comes. Only their next generation models see this type of testing. My verdict has always been that it is evolutionary, as is the upcoming IS(XE30).
cmk, your posts are very welcome here, just keep it up
Old 06-01-12, 11:00 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I am excited to see the next gen LS. I have a feeling I will end up with another LS in the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th-gen LS spied on the road